NVQ confusion

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holli-Mae

Reaction score
Firstly, sorry in advance if, during my search on this site, I have missed previous threads that address this specific issue. I know it's annoying when forum newcomers ask the same old questions.

I'm looking for some advice about NVQ. I have gathered that getting NVQ qualifications is important and increasingly required/expected, but I have spent a long time online trying to find information and have ended up very confused.

My main confusion concerns:

- Some places that offer NVQ training say it can be done in a week, others that it takes months. How can that amount to the same standard of training and be the same NVQ qualification? I am happy to put the time in, but can a NVQ really be done in such a short time?

- Various companies/sites offer NVQ training, but I don't know which of these companies are reputable/of a high standard.

- Different sites/companies demand different fees for what one assumes should be the same NVQ course. I have no idea what a reasonable course fee is for NVQ 2 or 3.

- Additionally, I have read and heard a lot of recommendations of CND training. Is their training equivalent to/as recognised as a NVQ?

Any advice or help would be much appreciated. I've got such a headache from trying to find some straightforward, reliable information.

I don't really know how to advise you, I did it the traditional way and went to college to gain my l2 & l3, I honestly don't know how people could learn all you need to learn in a week. It's not only what you have to learn its your practical assessments too, 6 different clients just for facials alone. Sorry I haven't been much help have I! :)

Hi there, Some companies do offer nvq over a few days or weeks and you can pass but it's like anything you only get out what you put in ! I have done an NVQ you you should learn all 3 systems so check on that !

Any nail course weather it is nvq or a diploma long course or short is only a start off point you will continue to learn every day you will also come across hurdles such as lifting, breakages, popping off all sorts of things !!

My advice to you is take a course that you feel 100% comfortable with and after 6 months take another course to improve your skills and carry on learning good luck hope you find a course that suits your needs :)

Nails is a big subject and I recommend doing it over a longer course.

Person A could have an NVQ certificate. So could person B. Person A has done a longer course and had lots of contact time with the tutor and feels confident to do the treatment for a trade test. Person B feels that they did just enough to pass the course and is unsure about certain steps in the treatment because they can't remember everything from the few days.

Ok so the above example might be a bit extreme/flawed/based on a stereotype but I think it does hold a lot of truth. I have done courses with varying class sizes and length and have felt most confident in treatments where the course has allowed for maximum contact time with a tutor.

There are a lot fo companies willing to take your money. If in doubt I would recommend going with your local college. CND would also be an awesome option.

Edit: Also be aware that it may just be the actual practical sessions that last a week and then to get the NVQ you have to do a lot of paper work and practice at home unsupervised. Tis far easier to go to a college (talking from experience here!)

Nails is a big subject and I recommend doing it over a longer course.

Person A could have an NVQ certificate. So could person B. Person A has done a longer course and had lots of contact time with the tutor and feels confident to do the treatment for a trade test. Person B feels that they did just enough to pass the course and is unsure about certain steps in the treatment because they can't remember everything from the few days.

Ok so the above example might be a bit extreme/flawed/based on a stereotype but I think it does hold a lot of truth. I have done courses with varying class sizes and length and have felt most confident in treatments where the course has allowed for maximum contact time with a tutor.

There are a lot fo companies willing to take your money. If in doubt I would recommend going with your local college. CND would also be an awesome option.

Edit: Also be aware that it may just be the actual practical sessions that last a week and then to get the NVQ you have to do a lot of paper work and practice at home unsupervised. Tis far easier to go to a college (talking from experience here!)

well said !!

Thanks for your replies. I'm still unclear as to whether the CND course is recognised equally or similarly to an NVQ qualification. I've just read a lot about things being tightened up and greater emphasis on/requirement of NVQ...

Last edited:
i.m doin the cnd complete- manicure. pedicure. polish. shellac. liquid and powder. brida gel. last part of course is an itec qualification. this is a worldwide qualification and recognised by govourment. contact your local cnd creative academy for a chat about it x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Thanks for your replies. I'm still unclear as to whether the CND course is recognised equally or similarly to an NVQ qualification. I've just read a lot about things being tightened up and greater emphasis on/requirement of NVQ...

Definately do something that results in a recognised qualificatin because it will increase your chances of finding employment. An NVQ, BTEC, ITEC, City and Guilds etc are all good because they are recognised as qualifications.

The good news is that the CND complete course results in an ITEC qualification upon successful completion :)

I did 3 years at collage I did NC Basic course, HNC year 2 then HND in year 3.

I know a few girls who have done 1 or 2 day training courses, and have very successful businesses...

I couldnt have done a full course in a week there is so much to learn both practical and theory. I guess if I had worked in a salon prior to college i might have managed a course in a week but i think its more a confidence thing, If your confidant in what you do you will produce better results

Goodluck xxx

Latest posts

Back