NVQ in nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hhh

Reaction score
Hi I have been looking at doing an nvq in nails. Is this only posdible to do in a college?? Thank you

There are private places that do them as a Google search will reveal but the quality of these courses can vary. I wouldn't recommend anything that requires you to do the portfolio at home.

I think the ideal route is part time college followed by product training. College wasn't excellent in terms of the training but it is a guaranteed way to get regular practice of a routine and the qualification in a set time frame. After this I would recommend product training because going with nsi for acrylics and cnd for gels showed me the tips and tricks that really mattered for when it came to working on clients.

What I am saying is that for nvq the quality of education you get can be really sporadic but there are a lot of private companies that leave you to do too much on your own and charge quite a bit for course fees, material and even assessment time if you need extra. Hidden costs and unexpected working alone can be the order of the day with some companies so I would look for part time college if you can. If you already have manicure and pedicure some colleges offer the extensions courses in the evening if you're willing to travel.

Ah ok just seen you're in Manchester. In which case I recommend the following:

For full nvqs go to central Manchester college of health and beauty (also known as white rose beauty college Manchester). They are brilliant.

If it's evenings only you want and you've already done manicure and pedicure qualifications then Tameside college does the city and guilds level three in artificial nails as an evening course. Again they were good when I went with them in 2010 albeit for makeup.

If you're south Manchester and willing to do a little bit of travel then Mid Cheshire college does the nvq3 in nail services for one day per week. This is probably the meatiest qualification you can do part time as it covers nail art and fibreglass too. I went there for my nvq3.

Contact every option asap because some courses may have started last week but it might not be too late to enrol.

There are private places that do them as a Google search will reveal but the quality of these courses can vary. I wouldn't recommend anything that requires you to do the portfolio at home.

I think the ideal route is part time college followed by product training. College wasn't excellent in terms of the training but it is a guaranteed way to get regular practice of a routine and the qualification in a set time frame. After this I would recommend product training because going with nsi for acrylics and cnd for gels showed me the tips and tricks that really mattered for when it came to working on clients.

What I am saying is that for nvq the quality of education you get can be really sporadic but there are a lot of private companies that leave you to do too much on your own and charge quite a bit for course fees, material and even assessment time if you need extra. Hidden costs and unexpected working alone can be the order of the day with some companies so I would look for part time college if you can. If you already have manicure and pedicure some colleges offer the extensions courses in the evening if you're willing to travel.
Thank you thats great, I will have a look. So far I have manicure and gel nails cert and currently doing an online nail tech diploma but guessing I need an nvq to work in a salon?

Thank you thats great, I will have a look. So far I have manicure and gel nails cert and currently doing an online nail tech diploma but guessing I need an nvq to work in a salon?

The nvq is definitely best because it's easier for employers to understand what level you're at amongst, with respect, the vast range of alternative certificates available. Regarding nvq and individual treatment qualifications, they need to be from itec, vtct or city and guilds ideally (they will always be insurable and this is vital to any employer worth their salt).

I think tameside and trafford college also do evening courses in pedicure and this is something you will need too.

We do a sculptured acrylic masterclass in Middleton. The course is aimed at existing therapists who want to gain knowledge and experience in sculpting acrylic. We ensure small class sizes with one to one tuition included, therefore students feel much more confident at performing the treatment to salon standard. The course is done during the evening. For more information or for a course content to be sent please email [email protected]. Check us out on facebook The Sun 'N' Beauty Spot Middleton

Latest posts

Back