NVQ L2 Timetable

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sineadmc

Reaction score
Hi :)

Just curious as to what people's timetable looked like when studying their level 2. I understand everywhere will be different but I get the impression even full time it's not monday-friday 9-5. One of the colleges I contacted said the course ran for 2 and a half days a week with hairdressing being the other 2 and a half if people wanted to combine.

Also - what units were covered at your college? I have seen some colleges offering eyelash extensions and others just tinting. Some colleges are offering tanning whereas others aren't.

I hope this makes sense :)

I did a part time NVQ Level 2, around working in an office. Tuesday & Thursday 5-9. We covered facials (Dermalogica), waxing, eye treatments (tinting lashes & brows, cluster lashes & strip lashes), make up, manicures & Pedicures... Xx

My level 2 and 3 courses at college were both full time and both 2 and a half days a week - it's good as most companies will employ you for a part time job as although your not completely flexible your free most days. I thought full time would be Monday - Friday but I was wrong. Level 2 I learnt manicures, pedicures, waxing, tinting, lashes, facials and level 3 I did spa route so learnt spa facilities, full body massage, body wraps, spray tan, manual tan and electrical facials :) xx

Thanks people :)
I am getting so excited even though I can't start until September 2015 (damn childcare is too expensive to start before!)

Have you thought about doing a fast track course rather than going to college in 2015? I am doing my level 2 with a private training company as I didn't want to wait until September to go to college, plus I couldn't afford childcare either. With my fast track I do my studying at home around my children and my work (I work as a spa therapist at a health resort) and do one or two practical days a month with my tutor. It works really well for me and was the same price as doing the course at my local college.

oh really? how did you find out about that? I'm quite low on self-esteem and confidence so not sure fast track would be for me as I need a lot of time to feel like I'm good enough if that makes sense? x

I've sent you a message :)

I'm new to this and not very computer literate so hope I managed to reply lol x

The Carlton Institute do something similar but are more expensive. anybody have experience with them? x

Have you checked your local colleges to see when their intake dates are? The college I go to has intakes in September, January and around easter time :0) I go to college two days a week but we don't have half terms/holidays like normal colleges do xxx

Sent from my C6603 using SalonGeek mobile app

They only do a September intake and one college does a January intake which is the fast track . xx

I think my full time level 2 was 3 days per week, I can't really remember as it was 8 years ago but it definitely wasn't Mon- Fri. I also had to do 1 day per week work experience as part of the course. The course covered manicure, pedicure, waxing, eyelash & eyebrow tinting, eyelash perming, makeup and facials. Eyelash extensions weren't really popular then so we didn't do them.

My level 3 (spa route) was 1 day per week as I was on an apprenticeship. It covered Swedish massage, aromatherapy, body wraps/scrubs, Indian head massage and maintaining pool & spa facilities.

Thanks for the replies :)
I have decided to apply for this September on something called Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Therapy which I'm lead to believe is equivalent of NVQ? It's on a Saturday (6 hours) so no need for childcare and runs for 35 weeks. Cost is quite steep though (£1400 in total after exam fees, uniform and kit costs) so looking into getting an interest free credit card .

Thanks for the replies :)
I have decided to apply for this September on something called Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Therapy which I'm lead to believe is equivalent of NVQ? It's on a Saturday (6 hours) so no need for childcare and runs for 35 weeks. Cost is quite steep though (£1400 in total after exam fees, uniform and kit costs) so looking into getting an interest free credit card .

Do check that this course is accredited. There are a lot of unscrupulous companies out there. Ask the training company who you can get insured with after completing their training, and then check with the insurance company!

Good luck x

It's at the local college . I will ring them now :)

I emailed the department and asked why they were teaching NVQ full time but this Diploma thing part time and if studying the diploma would impact my employability or insurance (if self-employed). This is what I got back.

Ultimately, they are both full level 2 qualifications, so I cannot see a reason why you would be disadvantaged from doing one or the other. You would need to speak with a tutor who teaches on the course to establish the differences between the courses in further detail, as I’m afraid I do not teach on these courses. As Carole has mentioned, an information evening is the best opportunity for speaking with the tutors. As you’re not wanting to start until 2015/2016, there is a possibility these courses could change or update by then, so an information evening nearer the time may be more beneficial to you. These dates are usually released September/October time, at the start of the academic year.

Basically it looks as though I need to wait until the open evening in the summer to find out! x

I did a NVQ Level 2 full-time course and I think it was a total of 25ish hours over 4 days a week. That included only one "long" day from 9am to 4pm and three shorter days.

The part-time classes were in for 2 long days a week.

x

I started level 2 in September covering facials (dermalogica) manicure, pedicure, make up, eye treatments, waxing. It's 5-9pm Monday and Tuesday and 9am-1 on Saturday xx

Technically the diploma is not 'equivalent' to an NVQ, it is instead of the NVQ with a few differences, such as you dont do eyelash perming and its not a requirement that you carry out assessments on 'real' paying clients. The qualification is still valid though, it shouldn't affect your chances of gaining employment and yes you can definately get insured. The qualification will comprise of manicure, pedicure, facials, waxing, makeup and lash and brow treatments- these are mandatory, there may be other treatments added but these have to be covered. You will also study the health and safety unit, and most likely units such as promote and sell products/services and reception duties, although these can differ between training organisations. It will be an accredited course, most likely VTCT or city and guilds (but obviously there are other awarding bodies).
Good luck with your training :) :hug:

Latest posts

Back