NVQ/VCTC or not?

ABowen

Hello

I am interested in becoming a beauty and holistic therapist.

I have two options.
Vicki Clarke Cosmetics training school or Cardiff College.

The college offer level 2 nvq (vctc) beauty therapy in September over one year. Then proceeding to level 3 nvq.

Vicki Clarke offers level 2 and 3 training, but they are not NVQ. She is fully insured and I would find employment like her other students at the celtic resort hotel spa or self employed etc. She offers cpd training and is a member of the guild of beauty therapists. It is a beauty training school and I would prefer her to the college. I would go on to buy insurance for myself every year if I want to work she said.

I also read to work on cruise ships or international I would need an 'itec' qualification?

I need level 3 to work in a salon, but does it have to be nvq or vctc accredited?

Haircutz

Super Moderator
Staff member
A level 2 NVQ or VRQ is the industry standard and absolute minimum qualification that you should train for if you’re looking to work in the beauty industry.

If the course isn’t assessed by a recognised body such as City & Guilds, VTCT or ITEC, (you can contact them directly to check that a course is bonafide), then best to give it a miss as you’ll probably struggle to obtain insurance or find paid work as many salons won’t be able to get you on their insurance either. Without a recognised Level 2, you’ll be limiting your options to working self employed or paid employment but with a less reputable employer.

What about doing level 2 with college so that you have the basic minimum recognised qualification then look at doing short courses to top up? College training isn’t necessarily the best quality but it is the stepping stone to many career options.

What you don’t want to do is spend a fortune on private training to discover that no-one outside of your immediate community will accept it. After all, you might want to travel and work elsewhere in the future?