NVQ & VRQ help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes you're absolutely right, as someone mentioned earlier it's about me and how much I put into it as both of the course sound very similar. Eeekkk I can't wait! X :)

Deffo hunni :) there were some girls on my course that were fully qualified on paper but couldn't even do a decent blowdry! A trade test/portfolio is where you need to prove yourself! Good luck :D xxx

Deffo hunni :) there were some girls on my course that were fully qualified on paper but couldn't even do a decent blowdry! A trade test/portfolio is where you need to prove yourself! Good luck :D xxx

Oh dear, and that's one of the things you have the most practice at lol. Yes I'm going to remember to take pictures of my work so I can build a good portfolio. Thank you X :)

Oh dear, and that's one of the things you have the most practice at lol. Yes I'm going to remember to take pictures of my work so I can build a good portfolio. Thank you X :)

Your welcome :) best of luck! Xxx

A NVQ is recognised world wide it's a stronger qualification than a VRQ x

I did my vrq in Dubai so not necessarily. That was via a city and guilds centre here where there is 2 schools offering it.

But then you don't have to be qualified at all to work in salons here. Just obv the good ones like a uk qualification.

I did my vrq in Dubai so not necessarily. That was via a city and guilds centre here where there is 2 schools offering it.

But then you don't have to be qualified at all to work in salons here. Just obv the good ones like a uk qualification.

Oh really, that's Interesting as I didn't realise there was the same kind of training out there. It's good to know that the VRQ is known in another country. I wonder how wide spread it is? X :)

I've recently completed level 2 NVQ and at the college I was at the VRQ could do cuts colours everything on the head blocks and get passed

Pretty annoying when us NVQs learning cannot be passed on anything but clients or you fail. I think VRQ learners will find it harder to work on a normal client after working on a block head, for one they don't have growth patterns etc as clients do how will they take all that into account after not learning it

I've already just got myself some upgrades (in pretty pink)

Is admire enthusiasm but I'll be really honest I recruit for my salon and some others, this puts me off more than the VRQ thing. We employ Level 3 and offer retraining- we never expect high standards as we are offering more training, but pink equipment is a really put off - and some new recruits get a bit annoyed when we ask then upgrade to better quality and neutral (black/white)

We've currently have two apprentices that have come to us, one VRQ level 3- 3 years in college with salon experience. One NVQ level 2- 2 years with less salon experience. There is a huge difference. The VRQ has no aspect of commercial timing, NVQ boy is quick and aware of surroundings. The interacting with clients is different.

For all of those saying nothing wrong with working on block heads??? It's not real life! Just because you carried out a cut - so what! Where's the client interaction, the consultation skills, the retails skills, the client care, the client feedback. If only hairdressing was just put in some sections and cut.

We had both situations in the salon but pretty much could say which one will progress further and which one needs more work.

From reading the above VRQ looks like a way to get yet another young person through college, get some funding- all at a lower standard. Less assessments, lower pass rate, no need for models/ clients.

Getting models is a skill needed- when you have no clients - block heads just don't pay the bills.

I'm involved in the industry as someone who runs a large commercial salon and also as someone who is involved in a separate business training others right up to assessor level.

Within the training industry we often joke that VRQ stands for "Very Relaxed Qualification"! I think that just about says it all.

No serious employer would look at an NVQ qualified and experienced junior stylist against a VRQ college educated student and see no difference. The two qualifications and outcomes are worlds apart. They follow the same frame-work but the assessment criteria for NVQ is where it's at.

Not really when your CV is your foot in the door, trade test is second.

I love all that 'it's the skills that matter' but from a salon point of view when you have 100 cvs are you going to trade test them all and look passed the paper qualifications.

Don't shoot me I'm just giving a real view from someone who recruits.

I'm involved in the industry as someone who runs a large commercial salon and also as someone who is involved in a separate business training others right up to assessor level.

Within the training industry we often joke that VRQ stands for "Very Relaxed Qualification"! I think that just about says it all.

No serious employer would look at an NVQ qualified and experienced junior stylist against a VRQ college educated student and see no difference. The two qualifications and outcomes are worlds apart. They follow the same frame-work but the assessment criteria for NVQ is where it's at.

I thought I might get jumped on for mentioning VRQ- very ridiculous qualification. (As nicknamed by our local college)

Not really when your CV is your foot in the door, trade test is second.

I love all that 'it's the skills that matter' but from a salon point of view when you have 100 cvs are you going to trade test them all and look passed the paper qualifications.

Don't shoot me I'm just giving a real view from someone who recruits.

Agreed. As someone who recruits for new stylists, if I see:

"2013-2014 - VRQ Level 3 Hairdressing, Generic College"
"2012-2013 - VRQ Level 2 Hairdressing, Generic College"

on the CV I just skip straight past them.

However, if I were looking for juniors I might consider interviewing them. This would be on the understanding though that after a skills assessment (should they be successful) that they would have to repeat NVQ Level 3 again with us and that would be on an apprentice wage for anywhere upto 18 months.

However, if I were looking for juniors I might consider interviewing them. This would be on the understanding though that after a skills assessment (should they be successful) that they would have to repeat NVQ Level 3 again with us and that would be on an apprentice wage for anywhere upto 18 months.

And then you could just get a nice school leaver and train from scratch on an apprenticeship.

I think we are just being realistic :-(

I've recently completed level 2 NVQ and at the college I was at the VRQ could do cuts colours everything on the head blocks and get passed

Pretty annoying when us NVQs learning cannot be passed on anything but clients or you fail. I think VRQ learners will find it harder to work on a normal client after working on a block head, for one they don't have growth patterns etc as clients do how will they take all that into account after not learning it

When I spoke to the lady at the college she said that we would be working with clients in the college salon within a couple of months so maybe it's different at East Kent. I can imagine it being frustrating that there's different rules for some X :)

Maybe your college might have a really good intake of clients? - MOST colleges have real bad issues getting clients- the ones they do have get put into NVQ (and sometimes get given to the more confident students). Sometimes it can be as bad as two clients per group. Then you have one assessing on shampooing, one doing the cut, one blowdrying.

I think it's really important students are aware of the nitty gritty before enrolling. Please don't be led to believe you will walk in and have 5 clients presented to you in a day and just bang the assessments one after another. You may be lucky to have this environment but a lot of colleges don't. You should be prepared to provide enough models yourself to pass that the only way to guarantee actually doing work.

Is admire enthusiasm but I'll be really honest I recruit for my salon and some others, this puts me off more than the VRQ thing. We employ Level 3 and offer retraining- we never expect high standards as we are offering more training, but pink equipment is a really put off - and some new recruits get a bit annoyed when we ask then upgrade to better quality and neutral (black/white)

We've currently have two apprentices that have come to us, one VRQ level 3- 3 years in college with salon experience. One NVQ level 2- 2 years with less salon experience. There is a huge difference. The VRQ has no aspect of commercial timing, NVQ boy is quick and aware of surroundings. The interacting with clients is different.

For all of those saying nothing wrong with working on block heads??? It's not real life! Just because you carried out a cut - so what! Where's the client interaction, the consultation skills, the retails skills, the client care, the client feedback. If only hairdressing was just put in some sections and cut.

We had both situations in the salon but pretty much could say which one will progress further and which one needs more work.

From reading the above VRQ looks like a way to get yet another young person through college, get some funding- all at a lower standard. Less assessments, lower pass rate, no need for models/ clients.

Getting models is a skill needed- when you have no clients - block heads just don't pay the bills.

Why would having different coloured tools put you off of someone? The upgrades I got were recommended to me by a stylist at my daughters Grandads salon. All of the stylists that work there have different brands of tools and the girl in question had ones with flowers on. I think people are more interested in he skills you have than the colour/patterns.

I don't know if I've given the impression of a school leaver, but I'm 29 and not the oldest person on the course so I'm not sure why you think this class would only be for young people.

I think you are right about the block heads and I'd much rather work on models. I don't mind working on them to begin with but I certainly wouldn't feel happy to go out in to the workplace having only practiced on the block heads.

To be honest, my daughters Grandad has very high standards even when it comes to folding towels a certain way, so I imagine I will be made to do everything to a very high standard.

I would rather have done the NVQ but as my college only does the VRQ I'll have to make the best of it. X :)

Why would having different coloured tools put you off of someone? The upgrades I got were recommended to me by a stylist at my daughters Grandads salon. All of the stylists that work there have different brands of tools and the girl in question had ones with flowers on. I think people are more interested in he skills you have than the colour/patterns.

I don't know if I've given the impression of a school leaver, but I'm 29 and not the oldest person on the course so I'm not sure why you think this class would only be for young people.

I think you are right about the block heads and I'd much rather work on models. I don't mind working on them to begin with but I certainly wouldn't feel happy to go out in to the workplace having only practiced on the block heads.

To be honest, my daughters Grandad has very high standards even when it comes to folding towels a certain way, so I imagine I will be made to do everything to a very high standard.

I would rather have done the NVQ but as my college only does the VRQ I'll have to make the best of it. X :)

Ok well where do I start .... We retail electricals and brushes so of course stylists are expected to be using them.
I have worked in salons where we had different brands and pink wasn't allowed - personally I can see why as it looks like a toy not a professional tool- would you admire a doctor with a plastic yellow stethoscope?

I'm giving my view from someone who has been qualified for 15 years, i deal with recruitment and am giving the opinion outside of the college student view.

The young person comment was more aimed at how colleges are run- at the end of the day they are businesses - not day care centers. They run according to funding and that is related to pass rates.

Some students go through their whole qualification not even doing one real person ( I employed a girl who only didn't even have a hairdryer?? Even if block heads where done was there no practice outside of college)

It's just my view from the otherside, no need to get defensive- they are other salons out that aswell.

100% right there! 👍 x

Why would having different coloured tools put you off of someone? The upgrades I got were recommended to me by a stylist at my daughters Grandads salon. All of the stylists that work there have different brands of tools and the girl in question had ones with flowers on. I think people are more interested in he skills you have than the colour/patterns. .... I would rather have done the NVQ but as my college only does the VRQ I'll have to make the best of it. X :)

Hi Charlie,
No doubt you are going to love your course regardless of the qualification attached to it, but as you are going to be in a salon too I would seriously think about asking your training provider to register you on the NVQ route - you will have assessment opportunities on real paying clients in a real salon, so you definitely tick all of the boxes.

Regards the colour of the tools - right now I guess it doesn't matter for you, but going forward there are many salons who will restrict the colour of your tools to a neutral shade (mine included). If you are looking for employment once you have finished your Level 3 it might be worthwhile considering this when you purchase your next upgrade. Whilst all salons would probably allow the use of a black hairdryer, not all salons would let you use a pink one for example.

The reason is pretty simple - good salon design costs money. Ours cost £250K to fit out (we're featured in Hairdressers Journal magazine this issue in their 'interiors' special feature). Imagine if you had paid £250K for your dream living room and the colour scheme was all pastel pink for instance. Would you let your significant other dump a brown recliner in there spoiling the look? Now imagine a brown recliner with a green cushion and a purple footstool. That's what happens to an interior design when stylists start bringing in tools that they chose based on their own favourite colour. ;)

And that's why we don't personally allow any other colour than black for tools. I also prefer the client's hair to be the most colourful thing she sees before leaving the salon.

:)

I have just completed a vrq in hair and I also work in a hairdressing salon doing the beauty side of things there and there's a junior there half way through her nvq and I can say that she is much not confident and knows probably more about colour etc than me we did have to do all our assessments (except perms) on paying clients but the course was very rushed and not enough experience was gained especially for the price I paid! I'm lucky enough to be in a salon where can gradually gain experience in hair but a lot of the girls on my course are now struggling to get a job as don't feel confident enough ... I think they should scrap that course as they make u believe you will be as able as a nvq but you def arent! 😏xx

Ok well where do I start .... We retail electricals and brushes so of course stylists are expected to be using them.
I have worked in salons where we had different brands and pink wasn't allowed - personally I can see why as it looks like a toy not a professional tool- would you admire a doctor with a plastic yellow stethoscope?

I'm giving my view from someone who has been qualified for 15 years, i deal with recruitment and am giving the opinion outside of the college student view.

The young person comment was more aimed at how colleges are run- at the end of the day they are businesses - not day care centers. They run according to funding and that is related to pass rates.

Some students go through their whole qualification not even doing one real person ( I employed a girl who only didn't even have a hairdryer?? Even if block heads where done was there no practice outside of college)

It's just my view from the otherside, no need to get defensive- they are other salons out that aswell.

Sorry I didn't mean to come over defensive, I really do value your opinion as I've seen other post you've been on, and I realise you are very skilled at what you do. Maybe I worded it wrong and I apologise.

To be honest I wanted a different colour for college so that I could avoid my kit being mixed up with the generic black that the college sell as I'm told that happens quite allot with the other students. No doubt as time goes on I'll probably change various items of kit as I find other types that I prefer anyway.

As I said earlier I did initially want to do the NVQ but the college I'm going to no longer offer it, so I'm kind of stuck really. I don't want to have to travel in to a city & the other college is an hour away. From what the tutor was saying, all the other colleges in the area are moving over to VRQs anyway.

I absolutely agree that only working on block heads is not an acceptable way to learn, it should only be when you start and to practice new things. I would much rather be practicing on real clients.

Latest posts

Back