NVQ. vtct or btec????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thg

Reaction score
hi all.
Decisions decisions, what to do, what's best i'm a fuss pot. and i've got to go up the qualification route, and there's no stopping me,
BUT!!! what route do you take, yes it's going to be hard going to college and being taught how to create enhancements with the likes of THE EDGE , when you've been used to a far superior product, what do you do with all that edge when your finished with your college course, (make acrylic flowers and stuff)thats how i can come to terms with the fact i am going to have to pay £100 smackaroon on a kit i don't want. But you want that all important qualification.
So my question is . vtct i've been told is the equivalent to a nvq as it's college based, and a nvq is work based. am i right?
But they are both recognised qualification.
Oh to get these out the way so I can do some more exciting stuff. like conversions with cnd/ ezflow.
What are your view on this?
THG:confused:

hi im doing vtct at college at the moment, and using cnd products for l&p. Vtct is recognised by the guild of nail technicians. They do a level 2 and a level 3 if the college want to offer level 3. Its a good course and i would recommend it as long as the tutor is passionate about nails.

VTCT and BTEC are Awarding Bodies. NVQ is the qualification.

Both VTCT and BTEC offer NVQ's. An NVQ is 'work based' but can be gained at college as they have 'realistic working environments' (I.e. salons for paying clients). It can also be gained while working in a salon and having assessments either at a college or in the salon by a college assessor.

Speak to the college hun because we had a lady on our course that trained with NSI and used their products and the tutor allowed her to supply her own kit.

hi all
thank you for the feedback, so really i think i want to go for the nvq then, i think i will have to find out more, and see what i can come up with. it's just when i contacted the college the administrater assured me the vtct was the equivalent. i'm glad i posted this thread, as obviously this is not the case thank you for all your advice thg :)

I loved BTec - I found it really challenging and quite academic, yes the standards were very high and yes I did about 10-12 hours of written homework per week, but I feel so much more confident in my underlying knowledge than some of my alternativley trained peers.

Good luck in whatever you do! xxxxxxxxxxx

Latest posts

Back