Offering at home/onsite nail services in the US?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ora

Reaction score
Hello,
I have been a MT for almost 20 years and only recently got my nail tech training and license. I have also got training with Gelish & OPI .

I have been very surprised to find out that most of the tech working in nail salons don’t have licenses and hardly follow rules.
I would like to offer nail services to my massage clients, what services/ tools and products do you recommend?. My liability insurance covers both professional services.

Hi Ora, welcome to the site, as this is a UK based site 80% of the techs are in the UK so we won't be able to give much specific advice or information. The licencing and insurance requirements and restrictions are totally different in the States compared to here.

We do have a few USA based techs who might be able to advise but it didn't want you to think you were being ignored if you don't get many replies :eek:

Hi Ora, welcome to the site, as this is a UK based site 80% of the techs are in the UK so we won't be able to give much specific advice or information. The licencing and insurance requirements and restrictions are totally different in the States compared to here.

We do have a few USA based techs who might be able to advise but it didn't want you to think you were being ignored if you don't get many replies :eek:
Thank you so much, for your welcome and answer . I didn’t know it was a UK page as it ends in .com.
I am in the US for now , but, keep dreaming about relocating somewhere in Europe, UK, Ireland or Spain. I believe there are higher service standards in the UK compared to the US. So, I am glad to be in this page.
On a practical level, I am aware that license and regulations are different ( I have that covered ), however, at the end of the day, wether you are in the UK or the US, I think we face similar challenges when we deal with clients and when we are hands on providing services. I am open to learn from all of you here .
Be well,
Ora

Hi Ora, I would suggest checking with your local state board to find out what the rules and regulations are. They do differ from state to state.

Good luck! :)

Thank you so much, for your welcome and answer . I didn’t know it was a UK page as it ends in .com.
I am in the US for now , but, keep dreaming about relocating somewhere in Europe, UK, Ireland or Spain. I believe there are higher service standards in the UK compared to the US. So, I am glad to be in this page.

Hi Ora, greetings from the south west of Ireland. If you come here for a holiday, you won’t want to go home. ;)

Hi Ora, I would suggest checking with your local state board to find out what the rules and regulations are. They do differ from state to state.

Good luck! :)
Hi Nana,
Thank you for your answer. The state of Florida allows on site nail services under certain circumstances. I was asking advice about the practical part of it. What brands make sense to use, what kind of services besides regular manicures and pedicures. Like here there is a lot of unlicensed people practicing that are still doing wet manicures and use water for every type of service, while in nail tech school as well as in seminars they are teaching us not to use water at all... Also, would you use a waiver / consent to service. ?

Hi Ora, greetings from the south west of Ireland. If you come here for a holiday, you won’t want to go home. ;)
Hi AcidPerm,

I know, that area of the world is by far my favourite. I think Ireland is a jewel in the sea.
Florida, is ok. However, You get better treatment around the mediterranean coasts, Canary Isles and don't forget Gibraltar.
I will keep you posted. I am planning to go there within 2 years. :)

Hi Nana,
Thank you for your answer. The state of Florida allows on site nail services under certain circumstances. I was asking advice about the practical part of it. What brands make sense to use, what kind of services besides regular manicures and pedicures. Like here there is a lot of unlicensed people practicing that are still doing wet manicures and use water for every type of service, while in nail tech school as well as in seminars they are teaching us not to use water at all... Also, would you use a waiver / consent to service. ?

I think a waiver/consent to service is a good idea. :)

There are a lot of unlicensed 'nail techs'. We just have to keep our education/certificates/licenses up, take advantage of continuing education when we can and be the best we can be!

Thank you so much

Hi Ora,

I can't speak for all states but I grew up in Florida and now live in Kansas (USA) and you must be licensed in both states in order to do nails. Actually, because I am a military wife and have to move around a lot, I have to know about the rules and regulations concerning my craft (nails). All states, including Hawaii have a must be licensed policy. If you are running into nail salons with people that are not licensed, call the licensing office and they will send an inspector out to take care of this issue. I personally know that there is one inspector in Kansas with a bad attitude and she doesn't mind about closing a salon. Now, I know that Florida is lax concerning the practical. Once you go to school for nails there and pass all your school exams, you get your license. In Kansas though, you must take a written and a practical exam. The rules on nails vary from state to state, but all nails techs must have a license. As far as the tools you should use, since I also thought of doing mobile nails, I suggest a portable pedicure basin, a nail brand that you enjoy using (CND or whomever), a portable gel lamp with a case so that you don't drop it, a few towels, an arm rest, your acrylic equipment, basic manicure and pedicure equipment and cleaning products. Best of luck to you. The state board in kansas has actual rules for mobile nails, so when I get ready to start, I'll be looking more into that. I hope that helps you.

Hi Ora,

I can't speak for all states but I grew up in Florida and now live in Kansas (USA) and you must be licensed in both states in order to do nails. Actually, because I am a military wife and have to move around a lot, I have to know about the rules and regulations concerning my craft (nails). All states, including Hawaii have a must be licensed policy. If you are running into nail salons with people that are not licensed, call the licensing office and they will send an inspector out to take care of this issue. I personally know that there is one inspector in Kansas with a bad attitude and she doesn't mind about closing a salon. Now, I know that Florida is lax concerning the practical. Once you go to school for nails there and pass all your school exams, you get your license. In Kansas though, you must take a written and a practical exam. The rules on nails vary from state to state, but all nails techs must have a license. As far as the tools you should use, since I also thought of doing mobile nails, I suggest a portable pedicure basin, a nail brand that you enjoy using (CND or whomever), a portable gel lamp with a case so that you don't drop it, a few towels, an arm rest, your acrylic equipment, basic manicure and pedicure equipment and cleaning products. Best of luck to you. The state board in kansas has actual rules for mobile nails, so when I get ready to start, I'll be looking more into that. I hope that helps you.

Hi Sunflower,
Thank you so much for your answer and thank you so much for the sacrifice of your family. I really admire you.
I have my Florida license with the DBPR ... South Florida is a disaster, the inspector came and nothing happened, the girls ( who were also illegals ) run to the toilets and back door and changed their uniform Tshirts inside out and waited until the inspector left ...

I am already an LMT, so in order to boost my practice doing nails ( like speed , technique.. experience) I was thinking about offering free manicures with massage for a limited period of time. My liability insurance covers nail services as well and my scope of practice in medical massage allows me to provide services on site, at people homes, hospitals etc...
I have some of the tools you mentioned but not all, so I will get the ones that I don’t have and keep you posted ... whenever you have the chance to come down here, perhaps we can have a cup of tea, coffee...
thanks

I would love that. I'm sorry that those people are just skating by. That sucks. Florida is usually very strict (although a lot of my family/friends do complain about stuff when they're getting their nails done). That particular place sounds so unprofessional.

At least you're covered though. Speed is something I have to get better at as well. You're welcome. Military life is different. We like it. Makes us humble to be part of the big picture. I'm sorry my post, posted twice. I'm a rookie on this site. When I come to Tallahassee (and I am not sure when it will be, but when I do), I would love a cup of tea with you. Btw, I admire you. You have a plan and a business. I'm just a wife and parent waiting for Uncle Sam to tell me how high to jump lol.

I would love that. I'm sorry that those people are just skating by. That sucks. Florida is usually very strict (although a lot of my family/friends do complain about stuff when they're getting their nails done). That particular place sounds so unprofessional.

At least you're covered though. Speed is something I have to get better at as well. You're welcome. Military life is different. We like it. Makes us humble to be part of the big picture. I'm sorry my post, posted twice. I'm a rookie on this site. When I come to Tallahassee (and I am not sure when it will be, but when I do), I would love a cup of tea with you. Btw, I admire you. You have a plan and a business. I'm just a wife and parent waiting for Uncle Sam to tell me how high to jump lol.
Thank you for your nice answer.
I am just a mother supporting her children.
In my eyes you are my hero. It is thanks to you that your husband is able to protect us all and it is thanks to you that your family keeps supporting your husband’s service to us all.
It is not easy to deal with family life when you are away from your own family and friends, when you have to deal with relocation. You are superwoman, because you handle so much on your own. You are mom, dad, friend, wife, nurse, psychologist, chef, teacher.... you are there for everyone.
I am looking forward to meet you.
My email is [email protected] In case you want to contact me.
To practice, I am doing fake nails. I set 10 on clothes pegs and go throw the steps , so far it has helped me to improve my polish application. And hopefully I will gain speed. The difference is that with real people I get involved in conversation... and that is my problem. I cannot talk facing the nails.

In the States, the best way to make money is to work for a high traffic nail store.

Latest posts

Back