Oil AFTER polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spakitten

Reaction score
Another esthetician I ran into told me that she applied her cuticle oil after polishing the nails.
She would wait a few minutes for the polish to dry a bit, then apply a drop to each cuticle and gently rub it in. She said that it makes more sense to apply it afterwards, since you want a clean nailplate for polish application and the oil hinders this. She also claimed that it dried the polish faster...

Does anyone have any opinions on this method? good/bad idea?
Just curious

I have tried it but my polish went all dull and yuck.
Maybe just put it on the very edge of the cuticle and don;t rub it in?...seems like a waste..

Better still why not sell your client one for her to apply at home :)

lol! love the home-care advice ;)

That makes sense that it could seep through the polish and muck up your results.

I've never tried it, I've always applied oil after cuticle nipping. I let it absorb while I'm doing the massage, then wipe the nail plate before polishing. Never had a problem with it, was just wondering if there were a better way

For almost 30years Solar Oil has been the best nail polish drier because it is so light. It also helps to keep polish flexible (plasticised) and stops chipping if used every day in home care.

There is a reason for this and it is fact.

Oxygen near the surface of the polish inhibits drying. If you can keep Oxygen away from the surface of the polish it will dry faster. Read Doug Schoon's book on product chemistry. It explains it all there.

Sprays that help to dry polish are based on Oil.
Nail Drying machines don't actually help dry polish any quicker at all, they just immobilise the client for 5 or 10 minutes, and now you can understand why.

Maybe if you used an oil that contains other things you may have had a problem, but it should not dull polish nor should it muck it up in any way. Believe me I have used oil for 25 years to dry polish and it works. Brilliant for toes during pedicures as well of course.

I have always used oil after applying enamel....its never spoilt the enamel....but then i don't RUB it in...I gently apply a drop...wait...then with the tip of my finger stroke the oil down over the nail.

Its a nice finishing touch and it does appear to help the enamel dry better.

Once again I feel like a dummy... wow this solar oil really is liquid gold.
I did it once and it didn't work ( now i think it may have been the client!) so i never did it again.. so all these heat/fan light machines are all a crock.....
thanks geeg for another great tip.. your only up to about 100!!!! LOL

I always use solar oil after any nail treatment, its the best stuff

I use solar oil in my spa, I will try it on my next few manis and see if it makes a diference!

I already use seche vite for a top coat, which is the BEST fast drying top coat... But doing it this way seems like a more logical idea so your not whiping the oil off before polishing and defeating the purpose.

It's all about trial and error :)

I use solar oil in my spa, I will try it on my next few manis and see if it makes a diference!

I already use seche vite for a top coat, which is the BEST fast drying top coat... But doing it this way seems like a more logical idea so your not whiping the oil off before polishing and defeating the purpose.

It's all about trial and error :)

Continue to use your Sehe Vite just top with the Solar Oil when finished and the polish will dry all the way through much more quickly.

Thanks Geeg! :hug:

Latest posts

Back