Ok, this is a really dumb question, but I'm still confused!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helbels

Reaction score
Hello All

I apologise in advance for this question - I know its really basic stuff, but I still can't get my head round it...

When I was doing my training, I was criticised by my trainer for overfiling the sidewalls of the nail (particularly one one side of the nail due to being left handed), and was told this weakens the nail.

Thing is... surely you HAVE to file the sidewall when shaping (eg oval shape), which automatically means you are filing the sides down to some extent? I can only think that it's on square shape nails that you could leave the sidewalls completely untouched.

Perhaps it's terminology that's confused me here - but it's one of those things where the more I think about it, the more I can't figure it out! :eek:

Were you by any chance going to low down on the sidewalls as you were filing? It's possible this is what your tutor was talking about.
Going too low down would weaken the nail.
:hug:

Hi Del

Thanks for the reply - I follow your drift and can see what you mean - but on shortish nails, there isn't much sidewall to avoid, if you see what i mean - so can you actually avoid filing low then?

I'm not very good at explaining in words, I'm better at showing :lol: but I'll try.
Think of the sidewalls as a scafloding that's there to support the side of the nail
If you file inwards e.g. to create an almond shape, and go too low down you risk loosing that strength and creating a weak point where the nails could split.
To create a strong almond or rounded shape you need a little length to the nails to be able to create pleasing shape with out compremising on strength.
Baisicly the angle needed to created the shape doesn't have to be so severe therefore you won't feel the need to file so low down at the sidewall.
This does't mean you have to have ultra long nails to create this shape :lol:.
I hope this made sence to you ( I've just read back and confused myself :green:)
Mayby some other geeks could explain this better than me.

now you're all confusing me :lol:

I'm thinking 'low down'? hmmm maybe they mean 'high up'?

which is up and which is down when looking at the nail?

when I hold a clients nail in front of me I think of the free edge as 'down' and the eponychium as 'up' - so are you saying that when shaping the free edge into an almond or rounded shape it is important not to start the shaping too 'high up'?

now you're all confusing me :lol:

I'm thinking 'low down'? hmmm maybe they mean 'high up'?

which is up and which is down when looking at the nail?

when I hold a clients nail in front of me I think of the free edge as 'down' and the eponychium as 'up' - so are you saying that when shaping the free edge into an almond or rounded shape it is important not to start the shaping too 'high up'?

:lol::lol: I'm talking about the area nearest where the freedge starts growing off the nailbed.

There is a great video tutorial on www.cnd.com - finishing - that does a sweet job of showing you exactly how to file a nail

Latest posts

Back