Older nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daffyxoxo

Sue
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to practice on a group of lovely ladies age range 60 to 90. They want a clear or pale pastel finish and I’m going to do varnish rather than gel...some of their nails are soft and split easily and have prominent ridges. Can anyone recommend the best varnish to use, hopefully something that doesn’t chip too easily. TIA

It depends on the client, I have several clients in that age bracket that regularly come in for gel polish.

I use Morgan Taylor and OPI regular polish. And Seche Vite top coat. A good top coat is your best friend for no chips.

I would advise be super careful of the Skin more than the nails, it can be WAFER thin. Make sure you’ve softened the edge of your nail files.

Thank you Jen, that’s really helpful :)
Has anyone got good results using a ridge filler instead of base coat? I’m wondering whether it’s worth purchasing one, I’ve read that buffing the ridges weakens the nail.

Vinylux is very good. Dries quickly, self levels and stays on well.
No base coat required but you can use the CND ridge filler base coat if you wish.

I would second the caution of the skin being thin. Sometimes it's like you just touch it and it bleeds!

China Glaze polish is excellent. Plus they do a great ridge-filler base coat. As Jen459 says, Seche Vite is a manicurist's best friend !!

Definitely don't use Vinylux, it's a nightmare to get off, especially if they have dry nails. It will also show up all the ridges as it goes on quite thin. Morgan Taylor is a fab polish, quick drying and highy pigmented. The react base and top coat are really good and can be used with any polish. Ideal if some of the ladies have a favourite of their own. I'm not sure if they do a ridge filler base.
It's available in Sally's. My clients get 4 weeks on their toes and 5-8 days on fingers. Top coat has such a good shine that people think it's gel.

Thank you everyone. Another question...sorry to keep asking but I really want it to go ok. It’s about hygiene...is it ok to ask the ladies to wash their hands before they come? I would like to be able to start straight away with hand sanitizer then do cuticles using cuticle remover...I have seen those little bowls of soapy water that you soak a clients fingers in but never used them and I think it would be quite inconvenient where I will be doing the work. Don’t want to offend anyone by asking them to wash their hands though..is this acceptable?

Definitely don't use Vinylux, it's a nightmare to get off, especially if they have dry nails. It will also show up all the ridges as it goes on quite thin. Morgan Taylor is a fab polish, quick drying and highy pigmented. The react base and top coat are really good and can be used with any polish. Ideal if some of the ladies have a favourite of their own. I'm not sure if they do a ridge filler base.
It's available in Sally's. My clients get 4 weeks on their toes and 5-8 days on fingers. Top coat has such a good shine that people think it's gel.

There is a knack to removing Vinylux.
You need to let the acetone sink in a bit before wiping away.
I actually put a soaked pad onto the big toe with a clip to give this a bit of extra time while I clean off the small toes.

My clients come back 6-8 weeks later with it perfectly in tact, just regrowth showing.

Must be an ACETONE based remover to get Vinylux off!
[emoji4]

Thank you everyone. Another question...sorry to keep asking but I really want it to go ok. It’s about hygiene...is it ok to ask the ladies to wash their hands before they come? I would like to be able to start straight away with hand sanitizer then do cuticles using cuticle remover...I have seen those little bowls of soapy water that you soak a clients fingers in but never used them and I think it would be quite inconvenient where I will be doing the work. Don’t want to offend anyone by asking them to wash their hands though..is this acceptable?

I use baby wipes when I’m mobile or at an event. (In salon I have a towel warmer and use flannels) you can warm them up on a radiator for a treat on a cold day.
Unfold the wipe/towel, lay it flat in one of your hands, place the clients hand in your hand on top of the wipe/towel, and then wrap the wipe/towel around their hand like a little blanket and kind of massage/rub the wipe/towel down with both of your hands to give it a good wipe.

Hand bowls you would need to change the water and sanitise between each client. Bit of a faff if you ask me.

I hope that makes sense. It’s also a nice ice breaker. Relaxes the client.

That sounds a much better idea Jen, thank you again. I’m actually starting to look forward to it now!

There is a knack to removing Vinylux.
Over 25 years in the nail business, I think I know how to remove nail polish, thanks. But I'm sure your post will help others that are struggling.
The problem of it going gloopy/solid in the bottles is another reason I wouldn't recommend it. Unfortunately it hasn't lived up to its hype
:)

Latest posts

Back