Ombré effect

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daffyxoxo

Sue
Reaction score
Hi, I’m very new to nails, and practicing on friends and family at the moment. I don’t know if anyone can help with this, but I have been following u-tube videos to create an ombré effect using polish (ciaté) and a small cosmetic sponge (bought in a pack from primark). I am using a dabbing/rolling movement but bits of the sponge keep coming off and sticking to the nail, not very attractive! Has anyone else found this or has a solution to it? I’m wondering if the sponges are too cheap or if I’m leaving the polish too long / not long enough between coats. Any help appreciated :)

A bit of both I suspect, I use the cheap wedge style sponges, I think I got a bag of them from Poundland or a £1 shop somewhere but they work well, I cut them into smaller pieces for other colours, etc.

You'll pull the polish back off if you try to put more on before the first coat is dry, try to work in thin layers of colours too.

Hi Trinity..do you mean you use a different sponge for each colour? I have been using one sponge and brushing the varnish on in two or three strips side by side. I have been applying it to the sponge very thickly though so will def try applying thinner layers. Thanks for your help :)

Hi Trinity..do you mean you use a different sponge for each colour? I have been using one sponge and brushing the varnish on in two or three strips side by side. I have been applying it to the sponge very thickly though so will def try applying thinner layers. Thanks for your help :)

Both ways work depends on what I'm doing.

Too thick will make things harder

Ok. Thanks again

Latest posts

Back