Ombre-how to colour hair roots?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thiago

Reaction score
I have a client that we did full blonde a while ago and now we want a ombre looking she's full blonde I was wondering how we could just colour the roots and leave the ends but I don't want to have a straight line you know what I mean have any of u done this? Thanks

Isn't the point of ombre not to have a straight line, unless your going for a high fashion look!

I'm sure people use all sorts of methods with this, i haven't done this yet so replies could be helpful to us both!

Isn't the point of ombre not to have a straight line, unless your going for a high fashion look!

I'm sure people use all sorts of methods with this, i haven't done this yet so replies could be helpful to us both!

Yes that's what I mean I don't want the straight line like dipdye

Think it will be hard to do lol

I backbrush the area of joining colours to soften a dip dye, however ombré is a gradual fade so you will need to tint the top and then maybe comb through towards ends after some time...if that makes sense?! Lol

I backbrush the area of joining colours to soften a dip dye, however ombré is a gradual fade so you will need to tint the top and then maybe comb through towards ends after some time...if that makes sense?! Lol

Not really?!?! Lol the ends is already blonde so all I need to do is colour the top so I will have to pre pigment it ok then I will have to colour but not sure how to do this without leaving a line between the top and the ends u know half of it lol

Not really?!?! Lol the ends is already blonde so all I need to do is colour the top so I will have to pre pigment it ok then I will have to colour but not sure how to do this without leaving a line between the top and the ends u know half of it lol

Why dont you do it the opposite way round to what they suggest above? And so you dont leave a straight line, then comb through after you have applied the colour to the roots?

I totally agree. Put the darkest color 1"-1 1/2" from the root, place 2nd color same amount, then taking a medium tooth comb, comb the section from root to a little past were the 2nd color ends.
Have a light hand when combing.

I have techniques down, I just need to get better at formulas :)

Yeah...don't comb colour completely to ends just towards the end to get the gradual fade.

When ive done it i apply like a R/T to just above where i want it to change colours then take a wide tooth comb and comb it down to soften the line was going to put a pic on but cant :(

I totally agree. Put the darkest color 1"-1 1/2" from the root, place 2nd color same amount, then taking a medium tooth comb, comb the section from root to a little past were the 2nd color ends.
Have a light hand when combing.

I have techniques down, I just need to get better at formulas :)

So I'm going to colour the roots and then where the line is I will use a comb so it doesn't leave a line is that right.

So I'm going to colour the roots and then where the line is I will use a comb so it doesn't leave a line is that right.
Exactly! I always use 2 colors and Comb after.

What could I pre pig with she's like a 9 now but bit orange so thinking to pre pig then apply like a 6 on roots

But haven't got my colour chart here so not sure

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361138665.145317.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361138665.145317.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 322
Start at root and comb through both colors. Sorry if I'm confusing

Start at root and comb through both colors. Sorry if I'm confusing

Think I will do colour the roots then take a brush and do some painting so it doesn't leave a mark or anything
This should work

What could I pre pig with she's like a 9 now but bit orange so thinking to pre pig then apply like a 6 on roots

But haven't got my colour chart here so not sure

I add gold to my color so no prepig usually. I might get a slap on the hand for this from you guys, but it saves time :/

I add gold to my color so no prepig usually. I might get a slap on the hand for this from you guys, but it saves time :/

I could add some gold and some red? Maybe lol don't want it to go green I'd cry

I could add some gold and some red? Maybe lol don't want it to go green I'd cry

Yep. I do, but like I said, I'm probably wrong for doing so. Id like to hear everyone's opinion too! :)

Lol I'm sure we would need to pre pig from 9 to 6 but I haven't done much pre pigment yet so I'd rather mix cold and red maybe haha then choose something wrong but I think it pre pig with colour touch something red then out the brown on would work ;) but just not confident enough

Latest posts

Back