One Day Courses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lily

Reaction score
Hiya,

I have had a few customers come to my new wholesalers that have done a one day course in L&P:eek:

How can you do a one day course then be let loose on the general public?

Surely in one day you cannot learn everything? when i asked my customer what they had learned they simply replied "well we were given a book":eek:

The thing is they are now "qualified" and some might think that a one day course is all they need, this is really worrying and not very good for our industry, we are trying to improve it not send it back 10 years!!

Will they now know about Health & Safety, Electricity at Work act, Structure of the skin and Nail, Contra Indications and Actions not to mention the chemical aspect of our very complex career................i think not!!!!

It takes many of us years of learning and i for one am all for learning, it is life long and ever changing!!!!!

How do these companies get backed by proffesional bodies to be able to give certificates?

Thats my moan for the day and it really winds me up, because professional technicians like us will get the blame, when clients say L&P ruins your nails!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amanda

This is so on the vein that Marians article and now thread is on...its so infuriating that these unscrupulous companies that wanna make a fast buck are willing to let these people out of the doors thinking well that's it i'm a qualified technician...

There needs to be a law or something (clutching at straws) whereby only NQV assessors can teach and must also obtain their teaching qualification Cert Ed aswell, and update year on year their skills... and if not you risk being fined from the ANT and being personally excised :o (i meant shunned I get to passionate) from the world of nails if you are found guilty of allowing such poor standards taking place...

The insurance companie should insist ona min of 3/4 days at least - they then help the cause...

I agree with Amanda and Louise (except I'm not sure how the Nail Police could personally excise a naughty technician :)

It seems to me that while there are people who want the short courses because they are not prepared to spend the time and money doing it properly there will always be companies and individuals providing this inappropriate 'training'.

I do think things will start to change slowly now. HABIA (the Industry Authority) now that the Government has recognised us as a genuine industry, aresjust stsrting to look at what needs to be done to help 'nails' overcome all these issues. I'm involved with this and so are several other industry people who have the interests of our profession at heart. Will keep you informed :biggrin:

I agree with this too - I have always felt that you should have to have an official manicure qualification before doing any nail course. Then the nail companies could concentrate on the enhancement side and not have to spend lots of time on the nail unit. I do remember a while back someone asking for advice about doing a nail biter and one of the suggestions was that she did a manicure before doing the enhancements - "What's a manicure" was the reply grrrr!

This does seem to be something that the insurance companies should have some input into but they don't know enough - all they see is NVQ and think - yep fine discount insurance - when they see CND Master but no NVQ then there is no discounted rate - sorry this one winds me up as there is no differentiation between a well assessed NVQ and a not so well assessed one - yes I know we have been there lots of times LOL.

Here's hoping we can move this forward quicker than the hair industry have LOL.

Shout for any help you need Mum.

I would love to know more about the people that set these courses up. R they qualified technicians and teachers? I'm sure anyone who is suitably qualified should understand its gonna take alto more time to learn in just one day!!! WHATA DEES PEOPLE THINKIN!!!!!! I feel very sorry for the people paying for the course because I'm sure courses like this are only going to delay them in becoming good nail technitions.

ALEX said:
I would love to know more about the people that set these courses up. R they qualified technicians and teachers? because I'm sure anyone who is suitably qualified should understand its gonna take alto more time to learn in just one day!!! WHATA DEES PEOPLE THINKIN!!!!!! I feel very sorry for the people paying for the course because I'm sure courses like this are only going to delay them in becoming good nail technitions.

Yes Alex, whilst I do agree and feel sorry for some people who do these courses thinking that is all they need. I also feel sorry for our industry that there are some people out there who think that after one day courses that cost two buttons and a schekel that they are then qualified nail technicians and should be let loose on the general public.

If students did not want to do one day cheaper courses then the companies would not have a market for them.

We should have only one or two places that do Nail/beauty Insurance - without making us pay huge amounts - and there should be a list of accepted training to qualify for full insurance. If their training does not appear on the list then they should be only offered "students insurance" unless the training provider can prove the quality of the course.

I soooo agree with all of you. It has taken me five years to get to a stage where I feel totally qualified to teach and assess. I did a whole years City and Guilds Manicure course and was staggered at how much there is to learn just about the nails, hands, bones etc before even touching a nail for manicure. 6 months to gain and NvQ Level III Unit 19, 6 months for Teaching Certiificate stage 1, and another 6 months for Assessor qualifications D32/33. And there's still much more that could be taken. Its scary how many people can start a training school with no qualifications in nails let alone teaching. This has been one of my biggest annoyances :irked: and the only way to get over it, is to realise that even though they are making money and conning people, their standards are so bad that eventually, enough complaints or bad word of mouth will sort them out. I tell anyone who will listen, about qualifications but more importantly, you own high standards of workmanship. Customers will soon find out who is good and who is bad, so you need to be patient, because eventually these companies will burn themselves out.
As for insurance companies. I get my insurance for the students on my courses through the ANT who have a minimum amount of training rule before they will insure my students and insist on checking my qualifications before even considering me as a trainer.
As long as you are doing everything properly, forget about the rest, they're not worth the thought.
Feel much better now thats off my chest! :eek: :eek:
Keep smiling girls and always beleive in yourselves!

I agree completely Fiona, however when I do some customers nails they often say they fancy doing nails as a bit of a side line (what a joke, it takes over your life!) and will often comment that it looks easy. Im sure most people that sign up for these courses think it will only take one day and they can become a great nail tech!

You are all right. I trained with a company and realised at the end of it I didnt really know a thing it was so rushed, i then went on to do another workshop with them and this was a complete waste of time and I was petrified of mucking anyones nails up, so now im going to retrain with another company and hopefully b more aware this time and take more information in 4 days is even too short so hopefully someone out there will start a longer term course
:)

I love it when all you Geeks get heated about what is right with training issues and professionalism
:D :D :D

Go girls! (and blokes, but they're aren't any on this thread so far) :rolleyes:

Don't just tell the Geeks on this site; tell the trade mags, tell your clients, tell your local press

Marian

I agree with all the things that youre all saying and Lisa I am sooo with you on the training to teach issue (doing the 7407 at the mo myself)
But.... product companies and bogus schools aside. In my mind the worst offenders are the colleges.
There are countless more people I feel, who go through local colleges and trust they are being taught correctly only to come out like myself looking for product-led courses because their college education let them down.
This was certainly true for me, and a few years down the line I find myself back there meeting other tutors who were once taught alongside me ... now teaching themselves ... with nothing more under their belts than their college education.
Having recently been visited by OFSTED it dawned on me that although our teaching methods/premises etc. get checked there is no-one checking our subject.
Ours is such a fast moving industry and colleges should insist their tutors are kept up to date. Passing one course and leaving your own education at that should not enable a you to teach, and yet sadly it does.
red ice said:
Customers will soon find out who is good and who is bad, so you need to be patient, because eventually these companies will burn themselves out.
.... will this go for colleges too :wink2:

ALEX said:
I would love to know more about the people that set these courses up. R they qualified technicians and teachers? I'm sure anyone who is suitably qualified should understand its gonna take alto more time to learn in just one day!!! WHATA DEES PEOPLE THINKIN!!!!!! I feel very sorry for the people paying for the course because I'm sure courses like this are only going to delay them in becoming good nail technitions.
jeez guys - you can't be this naive???? You only have to look in the back of Pro Nails - Scratch and YP's to find one day courses or comapnies willing to do them - they are everywhere and have been for 15 years! We as a company have had to battle this FOREVER - No I don't like it and WE WILL CHANGE IT but I can't believe that you haven't realised who does them???? sorry not meaning to rant - just a little incredulous that's all - not directed at you Alex but this thread as a whole!

Mrs Geek said:
jeez guys - you can't be this naive???? You only have to look in the back of Pro Nails - Scratch and YP's to find one day courses or comapnies willing to do them - they are everywhere and have been for 15 years! We as a company have had to battle this FOREVER - No I don't like it and WE WILL CHANGE IT but I can't believe that you haven't realised who does them???? sorry not meaning to rant - just a little incredulous that's all - not directed at you Alex but this thread as a whole!
I dont think we are being naive!!!!! i thinks its mainly because our industry has always been at the bottom rung of the ladder and it is only now that it is being recognised................we all know about these company's who train in one day, but i for one just wanted a moan...............I actually rang this company, who by the way is nationwide and preteneded i didnt have a clue what i was talking about:confused: when i asked the difference between their one day course and another top name company's 4 day course the reply was something like this " With our course which is £99 you get the full attention of the trainer and it is really indepth, wheras other company's are actually charging you for your time practicing on models":eek: "would you rather spend time at home practicing for free or pay £500 plus to practice in a class"

I was gobsmacked, and i know they operate in my neck of the woods so i may be contacting my local Yorkshire Post, Wakefeild Express and Pontefract & Castleford Express......... It is about time we all had our say and as Marian said its no good saying it on here, we need to speake out

Amanda

Amanda, my god that is unreal. I always relate the nail industry to the hair industry, so in this case it would be like going on a one day hair course, watch someone cut hair, and then go home and then let your scissors loose on your victims.

One of my ex clients went on one of these so called courses. She said they didn't even cover theory - just had to read the manual she was given. She knew the difference between a good and bad nail, and knew the nails she was doing were really bad. She gave up after a few months as she got fed up with all the complaints of her bad work.

Hi
I have read with great interest all your moans about these 1 day courses. I also infuriates me that I have spent so much money doing a CN course because I wanted to train with a reputable company, and so far I've only done the foundation course!! But as you all know it's not cheap! With the course and products it has cost me approx £900 so far with few clients to help start to make a profit! It is so annoying that people go on these cheap 1 day courses and then are let loose on the public to perform nail enhancements. I didn't even think that 4 days was long enough really to be then let loose with no one overseeing what it is that us newies are doing out there in the big wide world of nails.

Hi Donzie, it's not the length of the course that's the prob (well actually yes it is!!), it's more the fact that these people are led to believe by their trainer that they are now a nail technician and can go out and charge full price, whereas CND and the like will make it clear that you are on the beginning of a long and rewarding road to becoming a nail tech.

Your money is so well spent provided you stick at it and continue to invest in more training - was having a laugh with LCN only today as I have done more training this year than any of their other customers, and I've been doing nails for 4 years, just want to get better and better at my craft.

I can understand that you need to recoup some of your investment, and you will, advertise at model rates (make sure they know it's model rates, and that they have no comeback should they all fall off next day lol) and you'll be inundated with clients to practice on. The more you practice the more your speed and quality improves and the sooner you will be able to charge full rates. Keep at it hun, its great.

Oh and these "one day" wonders are really that. They get so many complaints about shoddy work that they are charging full whack for that they lose faith and give up - ready for you to move in with your lovely Creative nails!

Latest posts

Back