One length cut, curly hair-part afro, part caucasian type

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dani88

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently studying level 2 hairdressing in college. On Thursday I will be doing my first 1 length cut in college on a friend. Her hair is just below shoulders and will be a trim.

Her hair type is curly and frizzy (takes me a while to blow dry but she is now my morning appointment every Thursday in college for lots of practise). Her hair type is part Afro/ Caribbean and part Caucasian, she hates wearing it curly unless it's loose curls at the ends and she hates any volume in the root, very challenging for me!

I'm just looking for a few pointers when I do a 1 length trim, should the hair be wet or dry and straight? I know my tutor will help me and advise me but I am watching videos on Francesco group and myhairdresser.com to try get as much knowledge and understanding before hand.

I think curly hair might be harder to cut so just want a bit of info/ perspectives from professionals 😊

I have attached a pic of what I did for her in college (deep conditioning treatment, straight blow then curled ends with straighteners)
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1380915816.621386.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1380915835.217931.jpg

Hiya, photos look great and good luck with college! For curly hair I personally still cut wet but with less tension, use the larger half of your comb and allow the hair to move so you get a realistic opinion on how it will fall, I'd do my baselines wet and take off any length, dry, then finish so I can literally make sure everything us visually as it should be, hope that helps x

I agree with the above, cut wet with less tension and then check it all once it's dried straight.

Good luck!

Thank you, really appreciate your comments, I'm very excited to be trying this :) xx

I would say it depends on how curly the hair. Afro hair is dry cut. I dry cut Afro & depending on the curl I would also dry cut mixed hair.

Personally if she never wears it curly I would cut it with tension like she has straight hair and advise her it wil be shorter If she doesn't straighten it

I sometimes blow dry and straighten it and then cut it, that way as its very straight you can see exactly what your doing x

I sometimes blow dry and straighten it and then cut it, that way as its very straight you can see exactly what your doing x

Yes exactly right.

If she wears it straight mostly you want to make sure the cut is straight. I find if you cut curly hair wet & you don't get it perfect & that person only wears it curly then it's not much of a problem as curly hair often hides imperfections. If the person then straightens the hair this is where you will see any mistakes. If you straighten the hair first & dry cut you can see exactly what you are doing & get it as perfect as you can.

I'd cut it dry. Like already stated obviously it will be a lot shorter curly if it's Afro hair.

Just make sure all hair is completely straight. No slight curls at the root.

Post a pic when you've done and good lunch whatever method you choose x

Latest posts

Back