One stroke nail art!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a step by step tutorial on YouTube! Very handy! I just brought poundland acrylic paints while I was practising but iv just ordered oumaxi acrylic nail art paint ready for doing on clients etc! The cheap stuff does for my design catalogue as well! And my brushes I brought from a beauty supply shop ages ago when I first learnt nail art!

Emma-Louise @ALittleLuxury

Is it any good trying with regular nail varnish on paper? Or best to go with acrylic paint straight in to tips? Also, how long does it take to dry? Are you able to put top clan on top and are you able to do it straight on to gel polish or do you need to buff the shine off after TIO to make the acrylic adhere?? I know you're all talking of crystal nails paints, but are the ones from decent art shops just as good?x

Is it any good trying with regular nail varnish on paper? Or best to go with acrylic paint straight in to tips? Also, how long does it take to dry? Are you able to put top clan on top and are you able to do it straight on to gel polish or do you need to buff the shine off after TIO to make the acrylic adhere?? I know you're all talking of crystal nails paints, but are the ones from decent art shops just as good?x

I don't do gel polish but you can practise on paper first. But it needs to be with acrylic paint not polish (as far as I am aware). I use oumaxi not crystal nails and love them. But you can use craft acrylic paints, I practised with poundland ones! Then you let it dry and put your top coat over it. Same as normal nail art x

Fab thank you! I've got a craft shop just down the road, it's a pricey one so I'll assume that they're good and will do the job just as well as the crystal nails ones! Now I just need to get practicing!! :) it looks so easy on tutorials but I know it's gonna by 100x harder than they make it look!! Ready for the challenge!! ;) xx

Lol that's what I thought but after 9 hours solidly tearing my hair out I realised it's really really difficult lol!! It does suddenly click tho! I can only do basic stuff need to work on things like roses etc

I tried all sorts of acrylic paints from craft/hobby shops etc and wasn't getting anywhere tbh. Finally bought polycolour and things started to improve, although you have to fiddle about to get the consistency right. Eventually I hit on crystal nails one move paints and I very much doubt I'll ever feel the need to look further. :biggrin:

Last edited:
You can try with acrylic paints, but to be honest I'd recommend getting some good onestroke paints, I love crystal nails ones but there other ones you can buy, it does make all the difference.

What are we looking for to make it a good quality acrylic? May as well buy the best from the get go? Xx

I attempted one stroke last night... I don't even think the results are worth putting up (I only tried on paper lol!) I finally started getting the hang of it, then my brush went dry, then my brush ended up being too wet, and being almost 12am I just got fed up haha... I'll try again tomorrow, my mother used to do folk art and apparently has HEAPS of folk art books for beginners, so off to raid the garage I go :lol: hopefully tonight's attempts will be a little bit better :o

I trained with the amazing Gemma Lambert! It's not very often I do one stroke as time wise I find it tricky! Here is one pic x ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1396331459.815669.jpg

My first attempt at one stroke nail art today, I've just posted these pics of it on my page but not sure now as no one has liked it yet, what do you think, honestly.ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1399933177.535900.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1399933191.529262.jpg

Reading this got me up late giving it a go lol ready for bed now! ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1399940067.090577.jpg

I watched a lot of youtube videos and practiced a ton on paper before even attempting tips, but to be honest it didn't click for me until I finally bought some specialized paints (I use Polycolor). I tried about 3 different types of acrylic paint and they just don't work the same! To me the paints make all the difference! I'll try to post some samples tomorrow if remember.

Here are some of my attempts. First picture is from my course Early April with Gemma Lambert. The second picture is my first attempt a few weeks ago after the course. I found it quite tricky but then the lighting was rubbish in my dinning room which i'm sure didn't help and I've now discovered I need to wear glasses lol. But all in all im happy with these being my first attempts

Steph xx

Attachments

• 1399959712764.jpg
    1399959712764.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 1399959722406.jpg
    1399959722406.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 148
Here are some of my attempts. First picture is from my course Early April with Gemma Lambert. The second picture is my first attempt a few weeks ago after the course. I found it quite tricky but then the lighting was rubbish in my dinning room which i'm sure didn't help and I've now discovered I need to wear glasses lol. But all in all im happy with these being my first attempts

Steph xx

Well done, they look gorgeous! X

Came back to post some of mine. To be honest I haven't done anything too complicated on a client, since I find it really time consuming. Just playing on tips :)
image.jpg

Came back to post some of mine. To be honest I haven't done anything too complicated on a client, since I find it really time consuming. Just playing on tips :)
View attachment 64941

Amazing and highly detailed!! Russiandoll if someone wanted a full set of this, not taking into account cost of acrylic/shellac service, how much extra would you charge just for the design, ad how long would that take you? xx

And some roses. Sorry the lighting is not great. This kind of flowers I could not do with other paints, because they don't layer like that-just go all messy
image.jpg

Amazing and highly detailed!! Russiandoll if someone wanted a full set of this, not taking into account cost of acrylic/shellac service, how much extra would you charge just for the design, ad how long would that take you? xx
As I said I haven't done anything that complicated on a client yet, lol! But normally my prices are very reasonable (I'm just starting out in my small home studio), so I charge $5 extra for 2-4 fingers with design. You can see some of what I've done for clients in my profile-so those took me about extra 30 min (may be a little less) for 4 fingers. I'm just guessing here but something more complicated would take 40min to an hour for all fingers. I would probably charge $15 and up if somebody asked for it.

Latest posts

Back