Open Day - I need a dummies guide!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forevervodka

Reaction score
Were not in a high street position, so we do not get a lot of passing trade. We share premises with a dental clinic - but we haven't made the most of recommendation from there really.

I want to do an open day, to showcase our services and build our database.

What is the best way to advertise this?
Is a weekend or a week night best?
What offers etc go well at an event like this?

Can any of you offer me some pearls of wisdom about what worked and didn't work if you have had an open evening before?

Many Thanks

I'd say its very much location dependent. We're in central London city so people work there during the week but its quiet weekend. Thurs- night out for city workers so NO to open day, Friday- last drink before home/more drinks/clubs- so NO as well. Mon- just back at work- not great. My preferred day is Wed- it works well for us and most people are free.

Foods- finger, non messy, use those tiny cupcake cases to hold stuff, get a tiered plate-good looking, stylish and space saving.
Drinks- mid-range online wine (Virgin etc), Shloer for non alcoholic. Invest in wine glasses. Pound stores have really good value ones and its a one off buy. More decadent.

I found that A-boards hardly work (for us), get some glam girlfriends to come, the dentists and staff next door, mail chimp all current clients. My personal experience is that not many (none for us) will come off the street- maybe different for you so worth leafleting, nearby offices/businesses etc.

Our events are usually tied with a skin brand rep- who'd promise the world. I've learnt to accept that the world won't really show up and spend. Personally I'd prefer not to have to do them as I always find them a bit disheartening but hope that it will improve in time. My business is in month 8, having started from scratch.

So I'd say, have fun, drink Shloer (looks like wine but you won't get drunk), consider sales as a bonus, do an all day event that culminates in a party after 6. All the best!

I've been open a year in March. I have had two open evening which go down really well my clients love them. I offer 20% off all beauty treatments booked in March but must be paid for on the open night! people go mad for this and book extra. Last time we offered mini treatments for free, lay on wine, orange juice and nibbles. Sainsburys hire out glasses it's a £20 desposit which you get back once they are returned. Put poster up in the salon and the dentist saying to people to pop in and have a look around your salon meet the team and to bring friends. It's boosted sales for me and it has helped to get new clients. Relax and go with the flow of in.

We advertised out open day for about 6 weeks beforehand. We had our Environ skin analyst here all day, which was booked up well in advance, but new/interested clients were able to see what was going on, causing a lot of interest.

We cleaned out Waitrose - a few plates of their prepped sarnies from their entertainment range and they do free wine glasses. I bought a load of white wine, most of which I actually ended up taking home. Clients mainly wanted tea/coffee etc. I bought a load of homemade chocolate brownies from my friends home baking kitchen, which were amazing and received a lot of compliments.
We did some special offers on the day - 3 treatments for the price of 2 - pay today, and our biggie was 15% off all skincare and make up which flew out of the door. We had clients calling up to order over the phone.

Put posters/fliers up, but make sure they look good, and it may be worth contacting the local press!

Good luck

Vic x

Thank you ladies this is very helpful

Any other advice appreciated

Latest posts

Back