Opened nearly 2 years

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

em79

Reaction score
Afternoon all beauties
So I've been open 2 years now and things seem to be going very quite, that quite that staff are just sat around all week yet they still get paid their full wage and I get nothing as usual.

I tried promoting the cancer support coffee morning and no one turned up 😥

Something needs to change or disaster may happen which will effect my family as well.

I try promoting via text with offers which does help but I do have an on going offer for shellac anyway, I also go and do leaflets runs nearly every week.

Can someone please give me a little advise

Is it a new quiet or has biz been quiet all year?.......I call oct-nov(sep always sucks, I usually take that month off!) the holiday lull because dec is rock n roll for holidays for us!Then jan sucks & feb-mar evens out average again.....Just the trends I have seen over the years so don't fret too much! Send some staff home ask them who wants the day off! I usually go commission based pay why don't you crunch some #'s & see if commissions a good option for everybody,staff pumps their personal pr more for commission pay so it's not your problem anymore!

It's not as busy as it should for a salon that's been open two years, it's always been steady really but I am surrounded by a lot of other salons

Maybe you are over staffed? Sometimes you need to look at who you have working for u and if they really are making you no money then maybe u should think about reducing hours etc. I recently had to make one of my staff redundant as I wasn't making a wage for myself at the end of each month and ultimately that is your goal x

Theres no hard and fast rule to how busy a 2 year old salon should be. Just because a salon exists doesnt mean people will visit, there are a lot of things to take into consideration. Some salons will be a huge cash cow from day one and some will always be a lame duck. There arent an infinite number of customers to make all salons successful, there are only so many to go round at any one time. The beauty industry is saturated and more probably overflowing, with supply outstripping demand by some margin, hence the ridiculous price wars. You may have to accept that your salon has reached its potential customer wise and cut your cloth accordingly.

I would be very tempted to cut hours but I already get moaned at about wages I pay above minimum wage for my full time member and she brings nothing in for me. Can I really go down that road of reducing her hours? All she does is help me out with closing the salon when I have to leave earlier due to having children

I would be very tempted to cut hours but I already get moaned at about wages I pay above minimum wage for my full time member and she brings nothing in for me. Can I really go down that road of reducing her hours? All she does is help me out with closing the salon when I have to leave earlier due to having children

Yes you can ... My friend sets targets for her staff - they have to take minimum of £100 per day (each) & at least 1 product sale each per day - they know that this covers rent wages etc ... And if that's not in the till they will be the ones losing out on hours if she has to cut back ... If they have free time they are calling clients who haven't been in for a while / offers ... She Keeps them promoting and rebooking in clients
(it's not all upto you to promote they should be doing something in their time sitting around while your paying them)
Xxxxx

Wages arent for therapists to bring in work, its to stop them going somewhere else!

Yes you can ... My friend sets targets for her staff - they have to take minimum of £100 per day (each) & at least 1 product sale each per day - they know that this covers rent wages etc ... And if that's not in the till they will be the ones losing out on hours if she has to cut back ... If they have free time they are calling clients who haven't been in for a while / offers ... She Keeps them promoting and rebooking in clients
(it's not all upto you to promote they should be doing something in their time sitting around while your paying them)
Xxxxx

This is a dangerous area- she stated a minimum. I have a stylist who would do that then sit on her back side. £100 could be a realistic target spending on what you charge per haircut, to some of us that's one client! That's £2k a month per stylist. 1 product a day is also quiet low.

Staff targets are based an a realistic stretch of where they can be, a dangling carrot so to speak.

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

Xxxxx

Thank you so much for that.
This may sound daft but if I'm not getting the customers in how would I go about changing it to this

Data collection, make sure you have emails and telephones numbers to email/ text promotions.

Plan your promotions monthly and tell clients so they can prepare (we are advertising our January promotions currently).

Use social media.

Recommend a friend always works both £10 off next visit.

What are you offering in the way of extras? We have lunch on offer, treatment menus, drink menus etc. I've also seen ideas like a free car parking day.

Data collection, make sure you have emails and telephones numbers to email/ text promotions.

Plan your promotions monthly and tell clients so they can prepare (we are advertising our January promotions currently).

Use social media.

Recommend a friend always works both £10 off next visit.

What are you offering in the way of extras? We have lunch on offer, treatment menus, drink menus etc. I've also seen ideas like a free car parking day.

Hi we don't have emails for every client but have mobile numbers. I love the idea of giving her the bring xx amount in each day idea but what way could I get her to do that.
Sorry for all the questions but you seem like you know exactly what to do in tricky situations like this x

Look at last year Oct and look at Sept this year. Set a monthly target (daily is a bit confusing as you may take £90 on day but £500 on a Saturday). It gives staff a motivation to go through the month. So say one girl has £5k target I would set her a 10-12% retail target so over £500. Then another member of staff might be £3k services £300 retail.

Then as a manager I have a joint target say £40k 12 % retail, so it's my job to get the staff on their targets to get mine.

Also set a little incentive so either retail too.

You pay staff a flat wage they will sit on their bums because they they get paid no matter what they do,

Latest posts

Back