Opening a salon, what do I need to know?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLextensionsgeek

Reaction score
Are there any salon owners out there who can help me?
I'm still in the early days of setting up, I've looked at 2 potential places, one city centre and one just outside!
Where do I go from here, iv and approached a couple of people who have said they are very interested but what do I do if they all get cold feet?
How much have you girls spent on setting up? Is £10,000 enough to kit it all out?

Thank you xx

You need to take a step back and before you start thinking about approaching ppl to work for you, you need to be thinking about planning consents, change of use requirements, business rates, writing a business plan and understanding not only your start up costs, but your cash flow. And in my experience, no - £10k wouldn't even touch the sides of setting up from scratch.

When opening my salon I went in with a friend from college now she is my business partner I say all in all we spent at least 25K on everything you have to make sure you have enough to cover unexpected bills it takes a lot of work but if you are determined you will get there in the end! Good luck :) x

You need to take a step back and before you start thinking about approaching ppl to work for you, you need to be thinking about planning consents, change of use requirements, business rates, writing a business plan and understanding not only your start up costs, but your cash flow. And in my experience, no - £10k wouldn't even touch the sides of setting up from scratch.
I set up with £5000 and still had change!!!

I set up with £5000 and still had change!!!
I guess it depends on what you have to work with, if it's run down and needs redecorating, water system, decorating, high end vs low end colour lines and product lines as well as the initial startup bills. Costs are also diffrent across each country's even within a city

I guess it depends on what you have to work with, if it's run down and needs redecorating, water system, decorating, high end vs low end colour lines and product lines as well as the initial startup bills. Costs are also diffrent across each country's even within a city
Yeah I took over a old property but my dad did all the work so kept cost low just bought colours etc from wholesalers to save money then built up gradually getting Paul Mitchell in etc!

Thanks guys! How did you go about getting staff to start with? I've approached a few who have said they are up for it but what if they then get cold feet? x

I have setup a business plan and also sorted out rent and business rates. I'm trying to find a slightly smaller salon so I can hopefully get business rate relief for the first year.
Can you tell me what you did and how much you needed and the sizing of your salon?

Did you do a cash flow forecast as part of your business plan? It's amazing how much higher the running costs can be than startup costs, depending on your business.

You can advertise for staff on Indeed for free once you write up a job description and know what you're looking for.

If you are converting a shop you will need to check with your council about change of use - it varies from council to council as to whether you will need planning consent to change it and supply plans of what you plan to do. You may also need a fire safety check which could affect the type of materials you use when building treatment rooms etc. So first stop is the council who can advise on the above. X

For buying equipment it doesnt need to be new to start. Have a look on gumtree alot of salons will sell equipment in bulk when they close

Thanks guys! How did you go about getting staff to start with? I've approached a few who have said they are up for it but what if they then get cold feet? x
Do you mean staff, or self employed who will lease from you?
Do you have a clientele? Do you have anything to put in a salon or are you literally stating out from scratch?

Vic x

i would definitely work alone for a bit and see how it goes. don't pay staff for things you can do yourself. a friend of mine has done this mistake and got herself into no end of debt paying staff to sit around on their phones all day xx work alone and see where it goes xx

Latest posts

Back