Opinions on damaged toe nail!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xoxo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

A regular client damaged her big toe quite some time ago and has been having LCN toe nail reconstruction and comes to see us at the salon for pedicures and polish.
She's caught the nail today and pulled it off and sent some pictures.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1506597083.585353.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1506597099.137162.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1506597107.857124.jpg

She's been having LCN for just over 2 years now and there's very little improvement other than the new growth is no longer coming through discoloured. But the nail is actually shorter than when last saw it without the LCN.
I'm wondering if it's a case of onycholysis and they are cutting the nail where it's lifting to get a flatter extension?

Anyone have any suggestions of anything else she can try? She's only young so desperate to help her in some way!

Thanks x

I'm not sure I'd touch that in the short term at least. I'd want to leave it untouched for at least a few weeks to see if the new regrowth is coming through undamaged before deciding.

It could be the overlay is trapping moisture and creating a bigger bacterial infection, more likely as it's a toe nail squashed into shoes, trainers, etc. where it's warm and moist so any tiny gap/lifting will be a party place for the bacterial baddies. So it could just be making it worse, which corresponds with your statement that it seems shorter than before.

If it was my client, I would send her away with Solar Oil for daily application and ask to see her in 2 weeks, and I wouldn't be putting anything on it in the meantime. If the new growth shows through OK with no discolouration, I might consider an extension, but we're heading into winter so no flip-flops required. I'd rather leave it untouched for a while whilst you have the opportunity. If new growth shows discolouration then a referral to doctor or podiatrist.

I agree with above, it looks quite sore too, I'd get the client to try leave it a little while as it's closed toe season and see how it looks next time you see her

Sorry for the late reply, didn't see these.
I advised her to leave it uncovered but she's since had the LCN put back on. They have made the overlay a lot shorter this time so hopefully she doesn't catch it.
She did take my advice and see a podiatrist before hand who said it would be fine but has told her she needs to have it taken off and a new overlay sooner than what she was doing (12 weeks) so they can keep a closer check on the new growth.

Every client I see for Pedique reconstruction is required to use Mykosept before I agree to do their service. Pedique also contains colloidal silver and with the two there should never be any problems. As far as the length, always keep it shorter, no matter what the client tells you. Longer it is more chance of it getting caught. And the last thing, I would have advised to keep the area clean, dry and free of product for a few weeks, then reassess.

I have a client with this exact problem too. She’s an amateur tennis player and regularly has damaged toenails. I buffed the ridge a bit and painted it with Vinylux , even on the skin which would’ve been the nail plate. It lasts weeks without any problems or irritation. Nail hasn’t grown very much at all though !

Latest posts

Back