Out of hours replies?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't understand what the problem is with clients texting or facebooking at 2 in the morning or 11 at night. They are asking - you don't have to answer.
We actively encourage clients to contact us 24/7 and say they may have to wait until morning before they get a reply. That is totally fine.

Have a quick look at some of the "I can't get any clients" threads, then count yourselves lucky that a client is trying to contact YOU!
If you can afford to ignore a message from a client for several days, then good for you, but if you actually need clients, just turn your phone off and turn it on at a reasonable hour and reply.
I frequently do this on a Sunday or at night, but if a client sent me a text at 2am, I wouldn't know anything about it until at least 6am, and would then respond at about 8am.

A lady bought a £45 voucher from me for her friend. Neither was a client. The lady buying the voucher goes elsewhere for her nails, but said to me her therapist can sometimes be hard to get hold of, so she bought the voucher from me. I returned her email on a Sunday morning, and now have a potential new client.

A few geeks on here have written about trying to make appointments with salons/therapists and one said she contacted 3 places and none replied.
It's nice to know there are some salons that are SO busy they can afford to treat potential clients like this!

Suck it up. It's the nature of our business, and its often the way our clients want to book. Our society is so full on that people make requests when they think of them, not between 9 and 5.

When you stop receiving texts, emails and FB messages, it's time to worry!
Oh and online booking has been a lifesaver!!!

Vicki x

I've seen statements from therapists on other forums when clients message at 10pm at night 'don't they realise that I have a life', or 'how dare they message me'.

The reality is when you are trying to successfully build a business 'life' takes a backseat :)

I tell my clients to text me whenever, and they do.
If I'm sitting on the sofa at 10pm and I get a text I will more often than not reply then as I always have my diary with me.
It's easier to get through all the messages.
I am shut on Sundays & Mondays, if I don't reply on those days I'll have 10-20 texts to reply to before I start on tue morn and I'll be a stress ball.
My work landline is diverted to my work mob so I pick that up when I can.

Comes with the territory.

Be careful what you wish for!

I usually spend an hour or do getting back to texts, emails etc at the end of the day on holiday, but I don't carry my diary around like I do here.

One thing I do hate is 'Hollywood wed 4pm' I think that's a bit rude like they're not texting a real person.

Last edited:
Also I pick and choose texts I reply to.
I got 4 while out shopping today, I'll reply to 3 later at home and stopped dead in the shopping mall to reply to a lovely lady that's had a bit of a reaction to threading x

As a client I will happily email or facebook message ANY company or business at whatever time I feel like. Their bad planning is not my priority and if they decide to read emails or facebook messages clients send them outside of opening hours that is their perogative and not on me at all. I am quite happy to wait until opening hours for a response - I just might not be able to send that message then as I could be at work myself.

Get a business number/mobile - turn it off when ur not working, problem solved!

I wasn't actually complaining about clients contacting me at all hours, I was merely wondering how other therapist handle the out of hours communication!

As I mentioned I have always replied as soon as I could which is probably one of the reasons why I am doing so well with a good and busy client base.

So I posted purely for opinions to see if replying ASAP (regardless of time/day) was the norm in this industry... If I contacted John Lewis at 11pm I wouldn't expect a reply until the following day, that wouldn't stop me from shopping with them!

Due to never being off the clock and working ridiculous hours over the last 2 weeks I made myself very poorly so was looking into way that I could help to reduce my stress levels... And switching off for a few hours in the evening or on a Sunday seemed like a possible way of doing that!

I have thought about on-line booking but was worried about clients (old & new) booking appointments on the spare of the moment and then not turning up!

Anyone who has these on-line bookings experienced this?

May call for another thread!

I have thought about on-line booking but was worried about clients (old & new) booking appointments on the spare of the moment and then not turning up!

Anyone who has these on-line bookings experienced this?

May call for another thread!

We have just done a website for a client who has there own online booking widget from Phorest Salon Software (which is who they use) They book on the site and pay a deposit and it auto books in there salon software. Clever stuff really.

www.woodbrookeretreat.co.uk

I wasn't actually complaining about clients contacting me at all hours, I was merely wondering how other therapist handle the out of hours communication!

As I mentioned I have always replied as soon as I could which is probably one of the reasons why I am doing so well with a good and busy client base.

So I posted purely for opinions to see if replying ASAP (regardless of time/day) was the norm in this industry... If I contacted John Lewis at 11pm I wouldn't expect a reply until the following day, that wouldn't stop me from shopping with them!

Due to never being off the clock and working ridiculous hours over the last 2 weeks I made myself very poorly so was looking into way that I could help to reduce my stress levels... And switching off for a few hours in the evening or on a Sunday seemed like a possible way of doing that!

Sorry - to actually answer your question.......
Yes I usually wait until morning. If a client texts me on a Saturday night, I wouldn't wait til normal working hours to reply, I'd do it the next day. I use texts for all sorts of things, but probably find it the most invasive form of communication, although a great one. At least it can be ignored until a suitable time!
I'll also respond to the online booking thread later - we've just done our first year with it.

Vicki x

I rerun emails and FB messages anytime of the day and night, when it's convenient for me, which may not be immediately.

I want the work and will do anything to get it.

Jemima :)

I really don't see the issue. If you don't want to reply, don't.
i order stuff around the clock, email at very odd times etc, but I don't expect an immediate response.
i ordered a book cover for my new novel last night, about ten o'clock. Ive not heard back yet, but I'm certain the designer isn't on a forum whining about getting orders on a Sunday!

Thanks Vikki, I look forward to hearing about that!

Persianista - I think that's a little harsh! I am not whining about clients contacting me. One of the main reason I do this job is for my clients! I just wanted to know how other therapist handled out of hour communication!

There seems to be a mixed response which is what I expected! However I want to give my clients some consistency as it make it easier for them to know what they can expect from me!
My plan is that I will answer communication between 9am-9pm, anything after 9pm will be answered the next morning (I used to reply at ALL hours!)

I'd like to thank everyone that offered their opinions, good and bad it has helped me to put some perspective on something I was struggling with following a very stressful 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back