Overwhelmed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saucygirl

Reaction score
Good Day All,

I'm so happy that I've found this forum, there is a wealth of information hidden in these pages!

I've been a licensed nail tech for the past 4 years, and have never seriously considered it to be a career until a few months ago. I've been a stay-at-home Mom to 3 wonderful kids, but have found myself longing for something else. My background is in business, and I've been looking for something to do where I can work for myself.

We've recently moved to a very small town, population 9,000, and we are lacking a Nail Salon. Voila! This is my opportunity!

I've rented a shop, started building my inventory, and working on my business plan.

I've been out of practice, so I'm slapping nails on anyone who dares to step foot in my house!

I'm using INM Odorless Acrylic, and I must say that I'm extremely pleased with the product. No harsh smells, good consistency and I love the way that it doesn't create a fine dust when filing but rather grainier shavings.

I'm back to the newbie problems of timing and occasional lifting. A full set is taking me around an hour and a half. This isn't acceptable to me, so I'm working my butt off to improve that.

My shop is small, and I have 5 months before I open, hopefully enough time to fix my newbie-self again. I will be working alone, manis, pedis and acrylic enhancements.

I'm here with ears wide open, listening for advice, both on the business side as well as techniques and hints.

Hour and half for a full set is a good time chick, dont be too hard on yourself!

I think its great what you are doing, you have obviously found a hole in the market and are prepaired to fill it.
Good luck in your ventures :hug:

Welcome to the site! as more people finish work and log on you will have loads more replies :hug:

Last edited:
One and a half hours is the accepted industry timing for a full set of hand made nail enhancements. With loads of practise you may get it down to 1hr 15 for a new client (including consultation and polish) without cutting corners. After that, it is a case of less time = less quality.

One can only go so fast ... to go any quicker means cutting some corners ... I'm sure you will agree that compromising on quality will not help build any business.

Why isn't an hour and a half acceptable to you hun? Sounds good to me. After 5 years I can do a natural set in 1hr 10-15, but pink and whites will take more like 1hr 30-45.

Most lifting happens because of improper prep and if you try to rush things, your prep won't be as thorough, not helping your cause at all!

good luck with the business x

Latest posts

Back