Paid snow days?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoJo1980

Reaction score
Just wondering..... If staff cant get in to work due to snow, do you still pay them? Its not snowing here - yet - but I'm just anticipating what to do if it does.
Before, as we have a 4x4 we have picked staff up and got them in, but to be honest, I dont feel its my duty to do so.
So, do you pay staff for snow days?
xxx

What I've done in the past is offer them a day off their holiday allocation if they want to be paid for it, if they say no then I wouldn't pay them. Why should you be out of pocket just because of the weather. It may surprise you how many of them can all of a sudden manage to get in. If they know you'll pay them either way then they'll be more inclined to take the day off instead of trying to get in.

I would say no unless you choose to close and the girls are able to work. I have never paid anybody for not coming in due to snow (although this is in a different industry).

Mmm thats a tough one. If it snows that bad and all public transport is off then they may find it difficult to get in and if that's the case so would your clients. You would then be warming up an empty salon and just taking cancellation phone calls.
This happened to us a few years back when I was in another salon. There was just me, one of the hairdressing stylist and a junior in. It was between Christmas and New year so it was sort of quiet anyway. It had snowed heavily overnight and the clients we had in called up to cancel, so it was a waste of time really. But unfortunately someone had to be there to take the calls.

The other year lived an hours walk from work and managed to get in.

Most companies wouldn't pay if you had time off snow or not!

personally i wouldn't risk driving in heavy snow and I've found that my customers understand this. However, if i was employed in a salon i wouldn't expect to be paid for taking the day off as it is my personal choice not to go in to work.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

Hi I live in the North east of Scotland Aberdeen and I have never been off for snow and wouldn't expect to get payed,and my local council are rubbish at gritting the roads :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Cheers guys.
Its bad enough being out of pocket due to clients not being able to get out in the snow - let alone having to pay staff for the dayy off sledging!
Good to know your views
xxxx

Latest posts

Back