Painful thumb joint :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Jo

Creative Geek :)
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been reading a thread about painful joints but it is now closed so I couldnt respond or carry it on so I am asking for some advice please.
I have such pain in my thumb - its in the base of the thumb on my right hand (I am right handed) near to the palm - it is so painful I could cry. It just started when I was doing nails but now it hurts all the time. I have tried to change the way I hold the clients hand and make sure I am not gripping too tightly and sitting correctly at the right height etc ( all advice I have read on here ) but its not helping :(
I know that many geeks say that drills are not good but I am really considering one coz of this pain. I am even taking cod liver oil eewwww! I learnt with a drill years ago and didnt have problems then but I wanted to start again correctly when I reentered the world of nails and use all creative and I guess I am 10 years older too so my joints are all suffereing a bit now lol
I have actually not pushed my advertising enough and taken on more clients because the few I do have are causing so much pain in my hand that I couldnt just do one after the other as much as I would like to.
Any help or advice would be welcomed.

Thank you so much
Take care
Jo xx

I would go straight to the doctor and find out what you can do, and just what may be the cause of the probelm.

I feel sorry for your pain! Never had anything like this.

I'm not sure a drill will solve you problems though. Sounds like you are left-handed if the hand that is gripping the client is your right hand ... in that case your filing hand would be your left hand where you are not suffering from the pain so I don't quite see how a drill would help???? Am I not getting it?

I'm not medically qualified but it sounds like tendinosis. See your doctor and maybe get some anti-inflamtories. I'd advise you not to take pain killers as they will numb the pain and you'll probably over-do it. The pain is there telling you to stop what you're doing so maybe try to do less until you've got it under control? There are some good techniques to stretch muscles and tendons but you need to get the pain and inflamation under control first. I've added a link about similar disorders, have a read and see if it applies to you. Hope you get it sorted soon :hug:

http://www.orthoctr.com/doc1-p3.html

Hi

When I first started doing nails I used to get a pain in the bottom of my thumb nearer the wrist. But since doing more and more the pain has eased and I dont have it any more. I think perhaps it was something to do with new muscle being used by holding the clients hand. My other arm used to ache by filing but that has also eased.

hope this helps

x

Thankyou for your replies ...

To clarify ... I am right handed with quite small fat hands and short fingers lol
THe pain is definately associated with my thumb - even rotating it hurts. I am thinking that maybe I hold my files wrong or too tight and have have caused some kind of rsi? I dont think that I have arthritis as I have no joint pain anywhere else.
I am going to book for my premasters and follow with my masters in l&p ... do you think that I would get some guidance there as to whether I am filing incorrectly? I trained with NSI then Creative and maybe have different types of learning in my mind which is not helping ie with NSI you are taught to hold the finger differently (from above) and I find this so hard to change now but this initself causes me to sit wrong I think. I reckon I need a one-to-one in posture and how to hold the clients hands correctly etc
Anyway enough waffling.

Thanks again and take care xx

Latest posts

Back