Paronychia

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshrarebit

Reaction score
Hi All

Is it possible to get paronychia on the toes?

I know the common causes of it for the fingers

BUT

I know someone who has a spinal injury and she is being treated by a podiatrist and a pain management doctor and apparently they have told her she has paronychia on her toes. She has poor circulation to her feet so she has a bit of breakdown to her feet and circulatory problems to her feet but I am really confused as to her having paronychia to the toes? I have explained to her the causes of it to the fingers but she is adamant she has it on her toes! Ive not heard of this before and ive looked in my books and cant find any reference to it for the feet.

Thanks

Love

Debbie xxx

I had this on both my middle fingers years ago. It was the most painful thing EVER, I thought it would never go. In the end a course of anti biotics cleared it up. It was caused by me being over zealous in picking at hangnails and it got infected. I can't imagine how painful that must be on toes - would be hard to walk.

I havent heard of it in feet, but I would assume you are as much at risk on your feet as your hands. Strange she doesnt have the usual symptoms, maybe she picked them up wrong? have they given her anything to treat it with?

A client came to me 2 weeks ago for enhancements and as I examined her hands I discovered what looked like Paronychia in her thumb nail. I asked her to go see a Doc first, then to come back once it had cleared up. She admitted that while watching TV she likes to cut cuticles with scissors and dig with tweezers to any bits she cant get - EEK!
So glad I asked her to go to the GP as my MIL saw her yesterday and said her thumb is completely festered and it looks like she is going to loose the nail completely. She has been to the GP and is taking Antibiotics and swore she would never touch her own cuticles again.

Hi

Thanks for the replies, so apparently yes you can have paronychia in your feet. I have spoken with her again and this is what she has now told me :-

DEBBIE

My problems started with my feet along time ago with walking etc,how i grip my shoe etc.
also circulation which i didnt think had anything to do with my toes nail till they sent me to see a podiatrist and i was told i had chronic paronychiae in my anaesthetic toes which doesnt show any puss nore swelling no skin peeling back none of that.Only poor curculation and numb feet and numb toes causing this and is causing my toes nail on 2 of my toes which i carnt feel to go white like they are lacking calcium,sometimes i have pain sometimes i dont it depends if i keep my feet warm and stretch my toes alot which i have to.
It also causes the nail to slighty brittle if isnt kept short which they are always short,but isnt through ingrown toe nail becouse i dont have them as my feet are well looked after he said.
This is through poor circulation to the feet.
As my left foot doesnt have this problem just my right foot where it is numb,in some cases the remove the nail bed while awake under a local.
They havent given me anti biotic's for it as it doesn't need them they are going to remove the nail rather than mess about with anti biotic's becouse there isnt any puss or anything and no ripped skin........but nail has gone white like lack of calcium..but iv been going to see them for a while and they do lots of things with your feet.He said it as soon as he seen my foot then they xrayed my toes ,tested my nails ,did losts of things.

Sorry about the bad spelling etc but I have pasted it exactly as she has written it to me!

Any ideas??????

Thanks

Love

Debbie xxx

Hi

Just bumping this back up to see if anyone has any ideas to what my friend has written about her toes?

Thanks

Love

Debbie xxx

Latest posts

Back