Paul Mitchell violets

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamiereid92

Reaction score
Hi I have recently started at a new salon and we are using Paul Mitchell colours.

I recently had a lady in she was naturally a 5 with about 50% white hair, with an inch of root but miss and ends were coloured with a 5 with reddy tones.

She wanted to go a bit deeper and more Violet so I mixed 4V +4NN with 20vol on the roots and then 4V on the ends in shines. We both liked the result but she wants it to be richer in tone next time. How would you go about this? I was thinking of adding some of the Violet mix tone but don't know if it will do that much on such a dark shade.

Thanks for reading

X

Not correlative with your thread but... Are you back in the UK?

You might find adding some of the 4vr or 5vr to the end colour will give you a richer colour next time as well? But I would colour balance it first (equal parts dual purpose lightener, 10 Vol and shampoo one) for 5-10 mins before doing the next colour. You could always consider doing the mid lengths to ends colour with 30vol to enhance the tones coming through? Is Gemma your colour rep for Paul Mitchell? She's great to ask for tips on colour formulas :) x

You might find adding some of the 4vr or 5vr to the end colour will give you a richer colour next time as well? But I would colour balance it first (equal parts dual purpose lightener, 10 Vol and shampoo one) for 5-10 mins before doing the next colour. You could always consider doing the mid lengths to ends colour with 30vol to enhance the tones coming through? Is Gemma your colour rep for Paul Mitchell? She's great to ask for tips on colour formulas :) x

I'll try with the vr. I'm not sure who our colour rep is I've only been on the salon a couple of weeks! I'm so used to wella so it's hard to change but really liking the p tones. Thanks for your help

I'll try with the vr. I'm not sure who our colour rep is I've only been on the salon a couple of weeks! I'm so used to wella so it's hard to change but really liking the p tones. Thanks for your help

They do take a bit of getting used to but definitely colour balance then pre treat it before colouring it again it will come out a lot more even. If your salon has a poster up with the colour wheel on etc there should be a number to ring, which is their colour helpline and they will help you. Let us know how you get on :)

do you have ink works in your salon? you could use that on the ends , would help give a lovely shine to.. once you get used to the colour system youll love it! also the intesifiers are brilliant they work a treat! if not maybe try go in with either 4N ( as the NNs are slightly darker ) or 1/4 5NN 1/4 4NN with 1/2 4V! x

do you have ink works in your salon? you could use that on the ends , would help give a lovely shine to.. once you get used to the colour system youll love it! also the intesifiers are brilliant they work a treat! if not maybe try go in with either 4N ( as the NNs are slightly darker ) or 1/4 5NN 1/4 4NN with 1/2 4V! x
OK that makes sense, but am I right thinking that the double n series is a cool Base? So to be mixed with cooler colours? Or is it an extra grey coverage? I'm so confused!

Yes we do have inkworks might try that next time x

OK that makes sense, but am I right thinking that the double n series is a cool Base? So to be mixed with cooler colours? Or is it an extra grey coverage? I'm so confused!

Yes we do have inkworks might try that next time x

Took me a good month to get fully used to it ! Litterally next oppertunity you get just sit there and remember wella use numbers for tones paul mitchel do letters, so like write down the numbers and letters next to it will give u a quicker understanding .. 5/00 in wella youd use if someones gray was resistent, so 5NN is just double base.. Your cool natural browns would be like 5NB which you dont have to mix any base in with, because natural is the most prodemenent tone! Xx

I think it's hard to see a lot off richness at a level 4. Once so much blue pigment gets added, color just becomes so dark at that point. Maybe bump it back a half level to a level. So maybe consider mixing to a level 4.5 or 5 (which may be hard now since a 4 was used already), so you can help see more tone, and therefore richness.

On a side note, it's recommended on levels 6 and below, to use a mixture of red and blue drops (2 red to 1 blue) to create more violet enhancements on darker levels. The violet drops are only really visible at levels 7 and above, this not being visible at all if you put them in a level 4.

Latest posts

Back