Peeling Gelish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bean

Reaction score
I don't know what I am doing wrong? I have one client who's nails on the last two times doing Gelish have peeled straight off? I done all the usual prep applied strengthner dry brushed then applied colour and still after 3 days they have peeled?? Her nails are very short that's all I can say? :-/

I don't know what I am doing wrong? I have one client who's nails on the last two times doing Gelish have peeled straight off? I done all the usual prep applied strengthner dry brushed then applied colour and still after 3 days they have peeled?? Her nails are very short that's all I can say? :-/

Did you see them peel off? Did they just start to roll up like a roller-blind and fall off the end of the nail? Does an orange peel itself without the aid of someone peeling it? No; and neither do nail coatings of any type, peel off without the help of someone pulling it !!

If the client is a biter or a picker then I think you can guarantee she had her nails in her mouth or picked at the edges to get things rolling! Never trust what a biter says especially, when what she is saying doesn't make any sense. :hug:

This isn't entirely true...
I have found this has happened to me a few times recently with the new gellux easy off base coat. It happened on clients when I first switched over but has stopped now once I got used to it, but it has been happening on my own nails. I'm rubbish at doing my own nails, I struggle to cap them properly and the coats are a little thick. And today a nail literally fell off, I saw it happen. And it's not the first time.
So sorry to disagree Geeg but yes it could well have done.

So in reply to the post I would check a few of the usual things, like is your lamp working properly, has your client started new meds (roaccutane and pregnancy has been known to cause issues) and are you sealing the free edge properly and doing thin enough coats? As these last too issues are what caused my problems although it is using a diff gel xx

This isn't entirely true...
I have found this has happened to me a few times recently with the new gellux easy off base coat. It happened on clients when I first switched over but has stopped now once I got used to it, but it has been happening on my own nails. I'm rubbish at doing my own nails, I struggle to cap them properly and the coats are a little thick. And today a nail literally fell off, I saw it happen. And it's not the first time.
So sorry to disagree Geeg but yes it could well have done.

So in reply to the post I would check a few of the usual things, like is your lamp working properly, has your client started new meds (roaccutane and pregnancy has been known to cause issues) and are you sealing the free edge properly and doing thin enough coats? As these last too issues are what caused my problems although it is using a diff gel xx

You are talking about a completely different situation. I am speaking of a normal service done with the right equipment and a competent nail technician.

Of course problems can occur with old ineffective bulbs and bad practice ... One is assuming (as she indicates that ONE client only is having the problem) that if the OP's other clients are wearing their gel without mishaps, that the OP is using correct equipment correctly. In this case, products do not behave as she is describing.

My advice is based on the information from the OP ... The client is probably a picker and her other clients' gels are not peeling.

I thought the point of this site was to offer support and advice?
I am competent with my clients thank you. I had problems when I switched base coats and found that I still have this issue on myself as I am unable to do my own nails to the same standard, so I was using my own experience with making a mistake to offer a possibility.

Bean, Double check what she does for a living as I have found shop work can be terrible for nails as when pricing or opening boxes ect...staff tend to use their nails instead of scissors!
Worth a try incase this might be why this ONE client is having issues.
I hope u find a solution.

Oh please! My post has nothing to do with your nail skill level. I answered a post as it was written and using the information actually given.

You have answered with your own experience and in your own words, " I'm rubbish at doing my own nails, I struggle to cap them properly and the coats are a little thick. And today a nail literally fell off, I saw it happen. And it's not the first time."

I would say the poster has now been offered support and seen two sides of advice and can make up her mind as to which is the most useful to her own situation. Unless, of course she decides to be insulted by your post by thinking you mean that she must be rubbish at doing nails ... Which would be as silly as your personal reaction to my comments, wouldn't it ... As I'm sure you didn't mean it that way?

It's Christmas ... A little leeway and polite give-and-take as well as perpective would be nice. :hug:

Last edited:
All disagreements aside :) my client isn't actually a picker nor a biter? This is why I am confused as to why her gel is peeling? If it helps the peeling is starting from the top of the nail in the middle not the sides or the bottom? Could this indicate not being and to cap the free edge properly? Maybe this is the reason? I also have a led Gelish lamp so this can't be the problem could it? Xx

All disagreements aside :) my client isn't actually a picker nor a biter? This is why I am confused as to why her gel is peeling? If it helps the peeling is starting from the top of the nail in the middle not the sides or the bottom? Could this indicate not being and to cap the free edge properly? Maybe this is the reason? I also have a led Gelish lamp so this can't be the problem could it? Xx
What do you mean by top and bottom. Is the lifting starting at the free edge or the Eponychium?

Lifting (which leads to peeling) is generally caused by product being too thick or nails being too bendy or insufficient prep?

Are the nails absolutely clean and dry before application?
Have you removed all traces of cuticle from the nail plate?
You said her nails are very short ... Have you made sure you didn't touch any skin surrounding the nails with any product?
Is it happening on every single nail or just a few?
How familiar are you with the product you are using and how long have you been using it?
Have you done product training with your supplier?
How many regular clients are on your books?
All these things could have a bearing on what is happening. Unless you say otherwise I am assuming you are experienced and in business ... Perhaps this is not the case?

Geeg you said peeling does not happen ever. I have just told you that it does. Due to my own mistake I found it can happen. So my reply was to you, not bean..
I then offered bean my advice.
I'm not getting into a bicker with you as it's pointless and defeats the purpose of this post and I would appreciate you do the same.
Back to the post..
Bean if her nails are very short it can be more difficult to seal the edge properly and that combined with something your client does can easily cause it to lift. If she's a little rough with them they will lift quicker than someone else who is more careful.
You may find it easier as her nails get a little longer x

Geeg you said peeling does not happen ever. I have just told you that it does. Due to my own mistake I found it can happen. So my reply was to you, not bean..
I then offered bean my advice.
I'm not getting into a bicker with you as it's pointless and defeats the purpose of this post and I would appreciate you do the same.
Back to the post..
Bean if her nails are very short it can be more difficult to seal the edge properly and that combined with something your client does can easily cause it to lift. If she's a little rough with them they will lift quicker than someone else who is more careful.
You may find it easier as her nails get a little longer x

No no don't misquote me please ... What I said is that 'peeling' never ever happens without some help to pull it off.

A product might lift without help, but it doesn't just peel right off the nail unless someone peels it or something is majorly wrong with application, prep etc. Lets not split hairs. It is chemically impossible for a product to roll up and come off on its own with no outside force if application is done correctly etc. We all know that lifting etc happens when things are not done correctly.

Sorry rephrase the peeling is happening from the free edge. Haven't quite got my wording right yet haha!

I've been in business since August this year with Gelish and its boomed! I am experienced but if I'm honest I do not have full knowledges of my products like the ph bond for instance x

Sorry rephrase the peeling is happening from the free edge. Haven't quite got my wording right yet haha!

I've been in business since August this year with Gelish and its boomed! I am experienced but if I'm honest I do not have full knowledges of my products like the ph bond for instance x

I would myself call that lifting not 'peeling' and this might be where the problems in these answers has been (a problem of semantics and/or definition). To peel something off, you have to pull or pick at it for example an orange.

For something to lift it just has to de-bond from a surface and it would do that in a certain area for the reasons listed above. Then it could be peeled off in almost one piece.

Bean,
If you contact Harmony Gelish and go through you prep etc they will be really helpful in what advice to suggest especially as its their products.

When I first started using Gelish I had problems with lifting, then my local Sallys had a Gelish training day on, so booked myself on to that, found it really useful and got soo much help from their Educator on the day, I've not had any problems since.

Give them a call, they are only too pleased to help

Just going back to where taking new mess was mentioned she's taking citalopram x

Could it also have anything to do with the conditions of her nails? She's picked off the remainder of her gel on 2 occasions prior to this? X

I can honestly say that as a gelish trained nail tech i have had gelish peel/lift straight off my own nails (on two fingers) it curled up like it does when its removed.
The only thing i can think it is would be not capping properly although ive never ha this problem before and it happened recently :-/ x

I can honestly say that as a gelish trained nail tech i have had gelish peel/lift straight off my own nails (on two fingers) it curled up like it does when its removed.
The only thing i can think it is would be not capping properly although ive never ha this problem before and it happened recently :-/ x

Nice to know I'm not the only one, even though I use gellux not gelish.
My issue is only the last 2weeks, never happened before so i put it down to the new base coat.
Frustrating when something suddenly changes and we don't know why :irked:

Bean, her picking has probably not helped, the condition of the nails always makes a big difference. Maybe try to get her into solar oil..it seems to work magic from what I've read on here. I'm going to try it myself asap x

Mine lifts but doest peel cuz i dont pick it. I uses gelish. it stays perfect on my toe nails and my clients the only other person who had lifting is my mum- sooo i think its cuz i have very bendy nails and they flake on the ends too. gelish lasts approx 5 days on me. im going to try and use structure gel.x

My mum did some hand washing the other day using daz & her gelish just came straight off & I've had a look at them she definitely hasn't picked it off

Hi iv had this with some dark colours that strink back from the free edge to solve this I made sure I did a good dry brush including the free edge then once finished painting all five nails went back and quickly recapped before putting in the lamp.

I find bella's vampire, black shadow and rendezvous do this do far I had bellas vampire just fall off my nails after a few days!

Good luck x

Latest posts

Back