Perm help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynn329

Reaction score
Hi

I used to have my hair permed quite a few years ago and my hairdresser at the time used Wella Riva which I was really pleased with (I have highlighted hair) but this perm is not available nowadays. Can anyone recommend a really good perm - I used to use Goldwell Biocurl when I was mobile hairdressing but must admit I have never used this on myself. I and my clients were happy with the results but I haven't used it on highlighted hair (my ladies were quite elderly and most had natural or tinted hair).

Many thanks

Lynn

i use this perm all the time and love it . it is so gentle hair always feels really nice after using it xx

bio curl is a lovely perm to use ... always had good results with it

thanks for your help...in the end i used Biolife 2 and am very pleased with the result! Hair feels soft and nice loose waves which I was after as i used large bendy rollers

thanks for your help...in the end i used Biolife 2 and am very pleased with the result! Hair feels soft and nice loose waves which I was after as i used large bendy rollers

Hi Lynn, yes its a great little perm, I too use Bio on really large grey perm rollers for adding a bit of body and an S bend , I usually use it on natural virgin hair and it turns out really nice :)
I am glad it all went well for you too,

also its great to see some feedback , as a lot of hairdressers will spend time giving some great advice ... but never receive any input or feedback ,
so its great to see the post getting interesting results

I think it makes a lot of difference if people just spend a few minutes giving a little feedback like you have done , :hug: thank you

Ps, I dont to scare anyone else who may be wanting a body wave but.... before perming any lightened or highlited hair , always do some test peices first as it can sometimes cause breakage or damage , also always tell your hairdresser if you have covered up any previously lightened hair with colour too , :) minky

yes minky i agree......i should have mentioned that i did do a test curl first

i would also add i did the test curl where my hair was the dryest so knew if this was ok the rest would be too

Hi Lynn, yes its a great little perm, I too use Bio on really large grey perm rollers for adding a bit of body and an S bend , I usually use it on natural virgin hair and it turns out really nice :)
I am glad it all went well for you too,

also its great to see some feedback , as a lot of hairdressers will spend time giving some great advice ... but never receive any input or feedback ,
so its great to see the post getting interesting results

I think it makes a lot of difference if people just spend a few minutes giving a little feedback like you have done , :hug: thank you

Ps, I dont to scare anyone else who may be wanting a body wave but.... before perming any lightened or highlited hair , always do some test peices first as it can sometimes cause breakage or damage , also always tell your hairdresser if you have covered up any previously lightened hair with colour too , :) minky

Hi Im doing a perm today in the salon and im a bit nervous. Iv never done it there before iv done about 4 perms altogether. Can someone please refresh me on timing and that I would be very greatful.
Thanks

Hi Im doing a perm today in the salon and im a bit nervous. Iv never done it there before iv done about 4 perms altogether. Can someone please refresh me on timing and that I would be very greatful.
Thanks

Hi please don't panic :) every perm comes with its own full set of manufactures instructions with all the timings set out for the different hair types ....

simply read them it as will have step by step instructions just follow everything to the letter

also do a test cutting and pop it in the perm lotion .... whilst you are trimming the hair and it will all be fine ....

All you have to do is choose the rod size
and make sure the ends get wound in the end papers smoothly
so you don't get end frizz

if its a loose perm then its the largest black or grey rods

if its a curly perms for old dears
then some like it tighter usually pale yellow or pink rods

some older ladies prefer upmarket looser perms have the medium red and blue rods .....

I also found the older more classier ladies in the more well to do areas really hated those tight perms and always went for a very soft perm on medium sized or even med/ large grey rods
just to give it a bit of body

The only thing I would say is stick to the rules never perm bleached or bleached highlighted hair as it will just break off and go like elastic when wet and dry frizz when straight :D

If there is any doubt at all as to what colours may lay under or on the hair
pop a test cutting in the lotion for 10 to 15 mins to test if it goes stretchy

So many people will tell you its had no colour on for ages .....
when in fact.... they may have had done a heavy home bleaching job or had loads of bleached highlights covered up with a home dye which would spell disaster if you went ahead !... hth :) minky

Hi please don't panic :) every perm comes with its own full set of manufactures instructions with all the timings set out for the different hair types ....

simply read them it as will have step by step instructions just follow everything to the letter

also do a test cutting and pop it in the perm lotion .... whilst you are trimming the hair and it will all be fine ....

All you have to do is choose the rod size
and make sure the ends get wound in the end papers smoothly
so you don't get end frizz

if its a loose perm then its the largest black or grey rods

if its a curly perms for old dears
then some like it tighter usually pale yellow or pink rods

some older ladies prefer upmarket looser perms have the medium red and blue rods .....

I also found the older more classier ladies in the more well to do areas really hated those tight perms and always went for a very soft perm on medium sized or even med/ large grey rods
just to give it a bit of body

The only thing I would say is stick to the rules never perm bleached or bleached highlighted hair as it will just break off and go like elastic when wet and dry frizz when straight :D

If there is any doubt at all as to what colours may lay under or on the hair
pop a test cutting in the lotion for 10 to 15 mins to test if it goes stretchy

So many people will tell you its had no colour on for ages .....
when in fact.... they may have had done a heavy home bleaching job or had loads of bleached highlights covered up with a home dye which would spell disaster if you went ahead !... hth :) minky
Thanks a million Minky thats brilliant I feel more relaxed now. Your very good.
xxx
Will let u know how I get on.

Latest posts

Back