Perming not a mandatory part

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Divine h & b

Reaction score
Is it just me as a qualified hair stylists with years behind me that finds it wrong that perming doesn't have to be done to gain the nvq level 2 anymore?

Yes ca't believe they don't do perming as part of NVQ anymore :( When I did my training 28 years ago *cough" we were trained to do finger waves, pin curls and barrel curls etc even they they were "old fashioned" at the time :O but I found them very useful years later when doing up do's etc, and people still like to have perms! :)

Is it just me as a qualified hair stylists with years behind me that finds it wrong that perming doesn't have to be done to gain the nvq level 2 anymore?

Couldn't agree more. All hairdressers should be able to perm.
Loose curl perms are getting more popular. Imagine telling people oh sorry i can't perm. They might not be as popular at the minute but people still want them, its a bit worrying that in a few years all young stylists won't be able to do perms.

When i trained hardly anyone had pin curls or finger waves, we still had to learn it.

:/ just soo wrong on many levels!

Yes me too!! I still have ladies who have root perms (some in their late 20's) and normal perms too!

I remember being really worried about doing perms in college and I love winding them now! I'm so glad we did perms especially as we have quite a few little older ladies that like a perm :)

I remember being really worried about doing perms in college and I love winding them now! I'm so glad we did perms especially as we have quite a few little older ladies that like a perm :)

Yes and older people tend do have more disposable cash than the youngsters so they have to be looked after and catered for too :biggrin:

I only do 1 perm a year but it's just enough not to forget what I'm doing!
I do remember though it was a pain in the bum to get perms in when I was doing level 2 but I managed to eventually!
It's ridiculous really, as they may come back? Or they could invent a Cheryl cole hair perm and they will not have a clue!

Back in the day, I was a perm technician and I regularly did 13 or so perms daily :/ was a bit tough on the fingers tho ! :)

I only do 1 perm a year but it's just enough not to forget what I'm doing!
I do remember though it was a pain in the bum to get perms in when I was doing level 2 but I managed to eventually!
It's ridiculous really, as they may come back? Or they could invent a Cheryl cole hair perm and they will not have a clue!

Yes I ended up perming my sisters hair for my level 2 ... She didn't exactly want a perm at the age of 16 but hey! What are sisters for?!

I always wandered if when I'm an oap I'll decide to have a perm and set. Looks like the answer to that is NO.
By the sounds of it ill be rocking some cheap extensions and either bleach highlights or whatever is the cheapest 100ml tube of tint.

Back in the day, I was a perm technician and I regularly did 13 or so perms daily :/ was a bit tough on the fingers tho ! :)

Wowzer that's a sh!t load of perms!

Wowzer that's a sh!t load of perms!

I know! The salon group I worked for were old school :biggrin: different people to do different jobs and I got lumbered with the winding the perms cos i was fast at it :|lol!

I know! The salon group I worked for were old school :biggrin: different people to do different jobs and I got lumbered with the winding the perms cos i was fast at it :|lol!

I bet you were winding in your sleep!

We didn't have to get assessed on them but we spent weeks learning them anyway. We had a fab tutor who said we have a duty to learn it even though it's not counted at the end. It's a part of hairdressing and we need to know how to do it :)

Yes ca't believe they don't do perming as part of NVQ anymore :( When I did my training 28 years ago *cough" we were trained to do finger waves, pin curls and barrel curls etc even they they were "old fashioned" at the time :O but I found them very useful years later when doing up do's etc, and people still like to have perms! :)

we had to do all of them on my assesment and also two perms brick wind and directional x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

We have 2 trainees nearing the end of their nvq 2 now and although its no longer mandatory my boss and the assessor have both insisted they still learn the tecniques as we still have lonh hair loose perms and the odd few short hair perms so its so necessary to be abled to offer clients a tariff which includes the main basics,which we consider perming to be as its as needed as cutting almost!!

I wont let my girls qualify until they can perm and do gents cuts. Not in the requirements but essential in my view. Its tough love but they thank me for it after.
I probably perm about once a fortnight, and thats alot these days!
When I trained, it was the first thing you learned and you were wrapping perms all day.
Vital I think, but Im old school :D

It's scary to think that soon no young stylists can perm, just been interviewing this week and found 5 out of the 6 stylists had not done perming! I won't let mine qualify with out it.

I probably do a 5or6 a month, a mixture of perms and body waves! I love perming! Love foiling too! To be honest I love it all! ;)

Latest posts

Back