Pieces of your ex?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have thrown out items from relationships in the past however years down the line I regretted it. Those items were part of my life, my history, many happy times or perhaps some hard/sad times. The point for me is - they are my times. So..... from then on I kept some things. As far as my engagement ring and wedding ring from my ex husband , well it's here in my home and my now partner (been together 3 years) and it makes no difference to him or myself. I will sell it at some point and have discussed this with my partner. Just haven't found the best way to sell yet.
P x

I still have love letters and little bits n bobs from my very first 'love'
I think my current partner would be upset if he knew i had them but they are all good memories from when i was a teenager!
also i have prison letters from my ex who i recently broke up with

I have no intention of ever throwing them away!

I kept my first wedding album (although I never look at it), as it's part of my personal history, but sold my engagement ring and with the proceeds treated myself to a totally random holiday of a lifetime in Australia! :D

My ex gave me a tiffany necklace for my birthday and I kept it and wore it all the time, but when I got together with my current partner (4 years yesterday :D) I stopped wearing it and just kept it in the box and eventually sold it, last year I think.

But because of that, he won't buy me anything tiffany! :( sad times.

He has bought me a ton of awesome stuff that I wouldn't get rid of if we did break up, like my phone, ipad, shoes...
infact pretty much everything I own now has been either bought by or influenced by him so if we broke up and my new fella didn't want anything of him around I'd need a complete new wardrobe... And 2 cats! :S lol x

that is so sad! a girl must have tiffany! i get tiffany nearly every xmas or birthday xxx

am loving this thread!

until i was burgled a few years ago i had all 4 engagement rings that id been bought and never really thought about doing anything with them.

i would keep things if i really liked them, think it would be a waste to just get rid of them. xx

My mum kept her wedding & engagement ring from my dad, and gave them to me for my 18th - she had been with her new partner for 10years at this point. I loved it, they loved and cared for each other at one point and it was nice to have something that showed that xx

I suppose it's a person to person thing. In the case of the friend I first mentioned, I just think she doesn't really know what to do with the ring. Her husband doesn't know about it. And the case with the second friend... well... I don't think too highly of her at the moment, so I'm biased and siding with my friend that her keeping it is cuz she's selfish and mean. I mean jeeze... the woman's got a diamond engagement ring, wedding band, and diamond eternity band from my friend. How many damn rings does she need?! :lol:

They're just things.
Feelings are more important; imo give them away.
Not judging anyone else's opinions. It's just what I would do.

i do have rings and necklaces that ex's have bought me, do i wear them... not really? my other half bought me a tiffany necklace, and i never take it off.

i also had a memorie box full of letters and photos from my last boyfriend, although it never really came to blows we grew apart and then he got with my best friend, needless to say we werent friends after that. but i pinned for him for about 2 years after, but i never opened the box.

i think it doesnt matter weather you keep it of not, if you had fond memories you will always keep those.

my other half wouldnt tell me to get rid of something but i wouldnt want to rub it in his face. and i certainly wouldnt want to know if anything was from her.
he knows not to buy me a ring unless there is gonna be a wedding involved!

I have 2 engagement rings both each worth a lot but I keep them because I chose them and they are pretty! lol My OH knows about them both and is ok (I think) with it. I wear them occasionally but the 2 pieces of jewellery he brought me I wear every day and couldn't be parted with and I love them for what they mean.
I have no emotional attachment to the rings tho I just like them.
I am really lucky my OH comes with no baggage and actually told me not to get rid of old photos as they are part of my life and although they hold mixed memories and I have no desire to look at them throwing them away doesn't remove that part of my life.
My ex wanted me to be shot of the lot so my Mum had the stuff in the loft for me until I wanted to deal with it. I know not all memories are good but you were with someone once for a reason, even if it doesn't end well. In my case it was both times my choice so that would make a difference I think. One I have no ill feelings for (cheated but I pretty much let him)
the other I wouldn't give the time of day too .. to wear the ring it REALLY has to go with the outfit!! don't even know where it is actually!!

But this proves they now are only possessions and as such if it mattered I would just get rid, people are so much more important! It is a personal thing at the end of the day. I don't keep letters etc but each to their own :)

If my OH wanted me to be rid of the rings I would but I would also question his faith in me but respect his view at the same time.

I am really grateful someone posted this actually it made me realise another awesome side to my OH.

My partner (my on and off partner lol) has bought me some nice jewellery in the past but he bought me a beautiful eternity ring which I wear all the time. I never take it off (unless using things that stain) but I can't imagine not wearing it, if we were together or apart? I would never get rid of it as I plan to keep it forever and give to my first child, sounds weird but it's such a beautiful ring.

I have kept Jewellery from my first bf/fiancé, we adored each other but grew apart, we are still friends, we don't contact each other but he still sees my mum and sister from time to time, my hubby is fine with it and has no reason to be concerned, I wouldn't want him to destroy items from his past if he didn't want to. In fact at the moment I'm planning on getting my first engagement ring melted down and worked into a necklace, it's not worth much at all so not worth selling but the diamond is so pretty I don't want to waste it, I asked my hubs what his thoughts were and he agreed on a necklace, which he has helped to design. I also have a beautiful ring, necklace and earring set that were a 21st present from the same ex, it's a collection and far too lovely to part with, this doesn't mean I'm holding on to the past, it just means I treasure nice things. This relationship shaped who I am and my husband has all the amazing qualities as this first b/f, it's why I fell for him in the first place but he also has a million other qualities that the first b/f never, Ive had other relationships that were horrendous and wouldn't want to keep anything from them as the memories are bad enough haha

Back