Piercing professionals?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristalinx

Reaction score
What do people consider to be a piercing "professional"? To me its the people that use the proper sterilized needle method. Not what they do in Claire's or those terrifying looking guns.

I've done a lot of research into this and the needle method to me looks like the safest and most professional way to pierce. I'm curious to know if any hair or beauty geeks have trained in this way? Its something I would be interested in learning one day.

Not trained in any kind of piercing(unfortunately) aha, but needle is Definately best! Even for ear lobes, a gun can't be sterilised thoroughly, and it's piercing with a blunt stud...eeeeekk 😳 I always insist on a needle for any piercing I get...including lobes, I got offered the gun method for my nose once...was outta that place like a shot!! Lol xxx

A professional in this sense to me, is someone who has had extensive training in the needle method, and in anatomy, not to mention correct sterilisation methods.
The place I get all of my piercings done have a strict policy of a 3 year apprenticeship before they're allowed to pierce a person, and it shows. Everyone has an amazing knowledge of anatomy and the art they do. Its fabulous!

You try getting a child to sit still so you can stick a needle through there ear then take it out and put an earring in!! A gun for the ear lobe is a quick and effective way of piercing

As a previous Claire's worker... All of the ear piercings are done using sterilised earrings, sealed packets which aren't touched by anyone- they simply slot into the gun and the ear is pierced using the sharp point on the earing ( it's not blunt- ouch!) I had a full days training in store and we had to practice on one another before we were let onto the floor- different to the two hr training I can do at my local wholesalers! While a needle is obviously needed for anything else in terms of ears this is a really safe, sterile and quick way to do things especially for children and you are made to sit through full disclaimer and provided with aftercare. When I've been to get piercing s at other places they haven't even had me sign anything until after and I know for a fact one of my local places doesn't check id- hence all the 14 year olds popping in after school and leaving with a belly button ring and no idea how to look after it!!!

I also wouldn't even have ear lobes done with a gun now. Trained piercer using a needle only.

I got my nose pierced with the gun, gun for eat lobes is ok I think especially for children but anywhere else I think is a no no, after I got it done a piercer told me that the gun can shatter your cartridge in your nose but with earlobes there's no cartridge there so it's ok, only reason is you can't really pierce a child's ear with a needle they'll go crazy. I've also seen a ear lobe piercing go really bad with the gun @ the salon I used to work at, my boss hasn't been trained in piercing and did a 2 year olds ear and the child moved so she pierced wayyyy too high it was really bad :( but I definitely agree professionals use needles only!!
Xx

My issue with the gun and piercing studs is not that they aren't sharp but that they are solid so push skin apart rather than cutting it cleanly. A child that won't sit still for piercing is a child that shouldn't be getting pierced in my opinion but I don't want to get into that.

I've had a look around for courses but what I've found look dubious. I'm wondering if it's apprentice training only. :/

My issue with the gun and piercing studs is not that they aren't sharp but that they are solid so push skin apart rather than cutting it cleanly. A child that won't sit still for piercing is a child that shouldn't be getting pierced in my opinion but I don't want to get into that.

I've had a look around for courses but what I've found look dubious. I'm wondering if it's apprentice training only. :/
My friend used to be a piercer and I remember discussing with her these belly button piercing cartridges I (was horrified when I) saw at a beauty show. From what she's told me, the best way is an apprenticeship.

Lol precisely! If a child isnt old enough to understand the discomfort and why they are being subjected to it then should they be getting ear piercings? Both my girls were just over 6-7 when they wanted to wear earrings but they also sat through needle piercing without fear or shuffling around

Cleen Cheeks Spa

I'm studex trained and would only ever pierce a lobe with a gun. It's sterile as said before the earrings coming in sterile packs. I've had piercings before where the place have body bars all together in a bag and just wipe them over with something before using the needle method and inserting them! Would much prefer something to be individually wrapped!

I'm studex trained and would only ever pierce a lobe with a gun. It's sterile as said before the earrings coming in sterile packs. I've had piercings before where the place have body bars all together in a bag and just wipe them over with something before using the needle method and inserting them! Would much prefer something to be individually wrapped!

A professional piercer will only use individually packed needles and brand new sterile jewelry, there's a fab guy near me and every piercing he does in done with a packed sterile needle then fitted with a packed sterile piece of jewelry, guns can't be sterilised, so even though the stud is sterile the gun isn't xxx

When I had my daith (inside my ear) pierced last summer the guy actually showed me the needle inside the packet then opened it infront of me and said they have to show you that it's a new sterile needle before they open it

The guns not touching the skin though, the earrings and inserts to fit into the gun are sterile , you pick them up from a sterile packet using certain points of the gun that then don't come into contact with the skin or exposed part of sterile equipment.

Anyway, I'm not debating it's better to use a needle, I just don't really think it's necessary for an ear lobe!

I've had quite a few piercings and been with friends to watch them have piercings, I have never once seen a piercer use body jeweller from anywhere sterile. Most have them in a plastic pouch and size up the one they need, one even had the different sizes split into sections in a plastic box. That's not how it should be, but that's my experience probably from about 10-15 different piercing shops in my area!

I did think about going into body piercing for a while but tried to research and found it wasn't really regulated and there wasn't a proper qualification. This was quite a few years back so I may be wrong.

My ex was a tattooist and they used to have a couple of apprentices doing the piercing that they just trained up themselves. Obviously they weren't allowed to work on clients for a long time!!

Forgot to add - needle is ALWAYS sterile and even in tattooing they have to show you them opening the needle. I'm only talking about the jewellery they insert afterwards xxx

The guns not touching the skin though, the earrings and inserts to fit into the gun are sterile , you pick them up from a sterile packet using certain points of the gun that then don't come into contact with the skin or exposed part of sterile equipment.

Anyway, I'm not debating it's better to use a needle, I just don't really think it's necessary for an ear lobe!

I've had quite a few piercings and been with friends to watch them have piercings, I have never once seen a piercer use body jeweller from anywhere sterile. Most have them in a plastic pouch and size up the one they need, one even had the different sizes split into sections in a plastic box. That's not how it should be, but that's my experience probably from about 10-15 different piercing shops in my area!

I did think about going into body piercing for a while but tried to research and found it wasn't really regulated and there wasn't a proper qualification. This was quite a few years back so I may be wrong.

My ex was a tattooist and they used to have a couple of apprentices doing the piercing that they just trained up themselves. Obviously they weren't allowed to work on clients for a long time!!

Wasn't trying to start a debate, sorry if I came across like that, opinions differ and we both have our own preferences :) I guess I'm just lucky to have a piercer near me that uses everything from sterile packs lol x

A piercing gun is NEVER ok unless you don't mind contracting HIV/Hepatitis. The earrings might be sterile but as soon as they touch the gun, they are contaminated as the gun cannot be autoclaved. A 1.2-1.6mm single-use cannula needle is the best & only acceptable method in my opinion.

A piercing professional is someone that has learned properly (usually through an apprenticeship with a piercer with a good reputation as these are usually the only way one can learn such things) about A&P, sterilisation, cross contamination, BBP's & the use of proper equipment, piercing with illness such as heart problems/medication for blood thinning, also proper aftercare of the piercing.

Last edited:
Not trying to start a debate either - I think we have the same opinion really but if you could see the gun that I have you would understand that the earring doesn't even touch the gun! Hard to explain quite how it works but no part of the earring touches anything that's not sterile. I think it's a shame that there's so many piercers out there who don't do things properly in regards to what I was saying about jewellery not being sterile!. Since leaving college I think I've used the gun once and I don't have a needle license so wouldn't be able to use it anyway.

What do people consider to be a piercing "professional"? To me its the people that use the proper sterilized needle method. Not what they do in Claire's or those terrifying looking guns.

I've done a lot of research into this and the needle method to me looks like the safest and most professional way to pierce. I'm curious to know if any hair or beauty geeks have trained in this way? Its something I would be interested in learning one day.

I would agree that a professional piercer, would be one that pierces using the needle method.

That being said, I've been pierced with guns, needle and me and my mates ramming an earring through my own ears! Tried it all, all successful, no damage to any cartilage and nothing gone wrong.

Nose was pierced multiple times with a gun, never had an issue with it. Just swollen from having so many done at one time :)

Hi know it's a bit late in replying lol but I'm a professional body piercer and I use needles and a bio punch to do skin divers, using a gun is only for ear lobe piercing, and that can be performed anywhere, mobile and salon, in my salon I have to sterilise everything before and after clients and use sterilising equipment, there is bye laws to follow, you have to register with the council and the premises before carrying out any piercings on the premises, With a gun there is no guide lines, hope that helps and if you need any advice let me know x

Latest posts

Back