Pinching tool

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twinners

Reaction score
Hi geeks!

Can anyone please recommend a great pinching tool? The springy type, not tweezery ones... Thank you xx

Sent from my BatPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Never used one, and I never will. In the salon there is no need whatever to use this tool.

Never used one, and I never will. In the salon there is no need whatever to use this tool.

What if the person has really wide fat short nail beds? And isn't happy with their look- my sis constantly complains about her nail enhancements looking different to mine it's because her nail beds are different!

I read in Doug Schoon's book it can cause significant damage because the nail plate can begin to separate from the nail bed, and instead of pinching you should sculpt and use dowels. Pinching is for competition nails not designed to stay on the nails for very long

To answer your question hun, I think the one Gemma lambert sells is the springy type , I might get this one :)

What if the person has really wide fat short nail beds? And isn't happy with their look- my sis constantly complains about her nail enhancements looking different to mine it's because her nail beds are different!

Even people with wide nails have a natural c curve to some degree, just not as much as others, everybody is different.

I agree that you do not need a tool and pinching can cause damage if done incorrectly.
I don't use a tool to pinch and rarely rarely pinch but on the rare occasion where I feel a need to, I will very gently use my own thumbs or fingers as this way I can control the pressure applied compared to a pinching tool.

As for your sister, I'm sorry that she feels this way but at the end of the day she has to understand that everybody's nails are different and if hers are wide and flatter than other peoples, then this is just the way it is. It far more risky and damaging to her nails to try and pinch a deep C curve into her nails that to just leave her natural one as it is.

Even people with wide nails have a natural c curve to some degree, just not as much as others, everybody is different.

I agree that you do not need a tool and pinching can cause damage if done incorrectly.
I don't use a tool to pinch and rarely rarely pinch but on the rare occasion where I feel a need to, I will very gently use my own thumbs or fingers as this way I can control the pressure applied compared to a pinching tool.

As for your sister, I'm sorry that she feels this way but at the end of the day she has to understand that everybody's nails are different and if hers are wide and flatter than other peoples, then this is just the way it is. It far more risky and damaging to her nails to try and pinch a deep C curve into her nails that to just leave her natural one as it is.

Yes I was taught to use my thumbs too I can imagine a pinching tool would hurt! I do have one but I've never used it, I bought it before I realised they may cause damage. I love the look of competition nails if only on myself but then I realised my nails have a very deep c curve naturally so don't really need a pinching tool. On my sis I would use my thumbs I think.

Yes I was taught to use my thumbs too I can imagine a pinching tool would hurt! I do have one but I've never used it, I bought it before I realised they may cause damage. I love the look of competition nails if only on myself but then I realised my nails have a very deep c curve naturally so don't really need a pinching tool. On my sis I would use my thumbs I think.

Yes using your thumbs would be a much safer option but even still, it is not something that needs to be done at all, so just bear this in mind:)

Also remember that if you have too much product (P&P or gel) on a flatter wide nail and your side walls are too thick, it can make the nail look worse. Nails like your sisters are in need of the perfect application and shaping to enhance the look of the nail and give a nice shape and this can be done without pinching but instead with using good shaping and application skills.
Added to this is the art work or colors applied over the top, there are colors that make even the slimmest of nails look wide and vice versa, so pick and choose the art work/colors with care when working with wide nails.

One example I can quickly think of, is the art work where there is a central color on the nail then with a different color outlining just the entire edge of the nail putting like a thin border around the entire nails edge (I can't think of the correct name for this style of art). I think this art work makes wide nails look 10 times worse, so I would never use this style on a client with wide nails, I would encourage my client to go with a slimming style like a chevron french for example:)

Yes using your thumbs would be a much safer option but even still, it is not something that needs to be done at all, so just bear this in mind:)

Also remember that if you have too much product (P&P or gel) on a flatter wide nail and your side walls are too thick, it can make the nail look worse. Nails like your sisters are in need of the perfect application and shaping to enhance the look of the nail and give a nice shape and this can be done without pinching but instead with using good shaping and application skills.
Added to this is the art work or colors applied over the top, there are colors that make even the slimmest of nails look wide and vice versa, so pick and choose the art work/colors with care when working with wide nails.

One example I can quickly think of, is the art work where there is a central color on the nail then with a different color outlining just the entire edge of the nail putting like a thin border around the entire nails edge (I can't think of the correct name for this style of art). I think this art work makes wide nails look 10 times worse, so I would never use this style on a client with wide nails, I would encourage my client to go with a slimming style like a chevron french for example:)

Ok great thanks for this, some great thoughts there, I think her nails look worse as she goes to the NSS and they are somewhat rushed. She always has a white tip and it's a bit too far down the nail bed so her nails look short round fat and flat!

Lol. Short, round, fat and flat. Sounds like me 😄

Would it not be better to sculpt and do a deeper smile line, giving the illusion of longer slimmer nails? I do this and its worked up til now. I make the product work for me not the other way round. : ) xxx

Would it not be better to sculpt and do a deeper smile line, giving the illusion of longer slimmer nails? I do this and its worked up til now. I make the product work for me not the other way round. : ) xxx

Yes, this is all in the application process I was talking about:)
It means using the correct products and techniques to achieve a good looking nail.
Extending the nail bed with a cover powder/gel/gel polish is a great way to slim the nail down and always keeping the free edge color to no more than 1/3 of the nail length works wonders.
I personally don't over do deep smile lines as it looks very unnatural but each to their own, my thoughts are I offer enhancements and this is to enhance the look, not make the nails look obviously fake due to extra deep smile lines that rarely occur naturally.

Gemma lambert sells one. Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I was taught to use thumbs but only very lightly as it can cause nail separation and in turn you can't enhance a nail separated from the bed xx

Latest posts

Back