Pitting gel polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chickafish

Reaction score
I think I've reached my limit with this issue. So I've had this lady come to me for over a year now for her usual ibx + gelish. At first, there was no issues, and her gel polish manicure was finally lasting longer than a week. But these past several months, I've noticed everything I put on her right hand nails start to separate and pit like the surface is oily, despite taking extra measures to ensure her nails are cleansed and dehydrated.

This week, for religious reasons, she's not allowed any nail coating, so I invited her over just to do a few nails for pictures so I can show what I mean while her nails are naked.

So this is what happens when I paint anything on her nails. (I've put one color coat on so you can see what's going on with the base.) I've buffed the shine off, dusted off, squeaked on scrub fresh, and took the extra step of dehydrator because that helped in the past. Nails went chalky letting me know all was good and dry and I applied base. Seconds after the base goes on, it separates into these little pits, pulls away from the side walls and free edge. I'm 100% sure it's not something I'm doing because it's only happening to her, and only on her right hand. If it were the case of oil, I would've thought washing her hands, and the incredibly thorough buffing, cleansing, and dehydrating would have eliminated all that. She's not on any medication. Has no health problems. Far from oily skin as I usually have to add a few drops of oil into my hand cream to hydrate her hands. So what on earth could it be, and why is it only on this one hand?

View attachment 84346

Normally, like you've said, I would look to the nails not being fully cleansed or perhaps the base coat is contaminated, but if it's only this one client and only one of her hands I'm a little stumped too! Her nails look like they have lots of ridges - is there natural pitting in the nail plate? I'm just thinking if the surface is very uneven then maybe the base coat isn't fully covering every area. Maybe try 'scrubbing' the base coat on to get into all the little dips and ridges in the nail.

Other than that my mind is blank :|

If it is only one hand, I would guess that there is something she is doing before she gets to you. I have one client that has shrinkage when applying gels, no matter what colour. I believe that she is using hand cream with lots of lanolin that is affecting it.
Your client may be using baby wipes, or even moist toilet wipes with something in, as it is one hand only. So not necessarily a cream that she applies to her hands. Do any of her family suffer from eczema? Think along those lines maybe.
One of my clients had an embarrassing condition that she mentioned in confidence and it then dawned on me why she got lifting on a couple of her nails. I explained it and she now wears gloves.

I thought that too. I went as far as to look at her nails under a mag lamp. It's smooth. A little peely hence the ibx but so is her left hand and it's not reacting the same. I've tried everything I could think of but I think I'm ready to throw in the towel.

I've tried scrubbing the base on. Double base. Skipping the dehydrator in case it's the over-drying causing it. Nothing's working. It starts to separate and shrink back on itself almost immediately after its brushed on. I did think my base coat was contaminated and bought two more, but no one else is having this problem, so it's her? But why only one hand? Mystery of the year!

Yea Chela I thought that as well. But she's only using aveeno body cream (which I also use). She's swears that and cuticle oil is all she uses. She's not very heavy on beauty products at all. Took me 6 months to convince her to use moisturizer. :lol:

My one client was applying a medical cream.
Might she be doing something whilst cooking? Mixing/marinating something with coconut oil for example?
I think you need to look further than a beauty product. Oven cleaner?

She is doing something to that one hand that is causing it, I'm sure.

I think ch-ela must be right then that it's something she using with that hand only. But then you would assume that buffing, Scrubfresh and dehydrator would still manage to remove any product residue within the first layers of the nail plate :confused:

Is there someone you can contact for the brand you use that can help troubleshoot? I really want to know the answer to this now, I can imagine how frustrating it's been for you!

I'm going to ask her again what she's using and what she's doing before coming to see me as this was happening since November, and she's been my client since last January with no issues. I'm totally stumped! I mean If it was only Gelish doing it, I'd say ok well gelish base does that sometimes. But Shellac (which has always applied perfectly on her) is shrinking back as well.

Please let us know how you get on and what you find out :hug:

Will do! It's just so frustrating to have a client walk out with substandard work when I know I can do far better if I knew what the problem was.

Have you tried using nail fresh? & I know this may sound like an odd one, but have you tried NOT using a base coat?! Good luck!! x

I've cured it pitted before then wiped & buffed the layer then applied again and helped quite a bit. Don't these thing drive u potty at times though cos as the nail tech we're supposed to have all the answers!!

Yes and yes I've tried those already. Those were amongst the first things I tried. Nail fresh, ph bond, and protein bond (not together). Still pulled back on itself and separated. With the buffing the base and applying again, it still happened. Shes due back in two weeks and I'm just gonna ask her a lot of questions. It's gotta be something she's using.

Think I've figured it out! I asked her today if she's started using anything different within the past 6-8 months (when I noticed it started happening). She changed a few facial skincare products because her previous ones were discontinued. Was 2 or 3 products so I suggested she apply with a makeup sponge instead of her fingers. Let's see if that was it...

Think I've figured it out! I asked her today if she's started using anything different within the past 6-8 months (when I noticed it started happening). She changed a few facial skincare products because her previous ones were discontinued. Was 2 or 3 products so I suggested she apply with a makeup sponge instead of her fingers. Let's see if that was it...
Did it work? Was that the problem?

Surely this isn't the image that's supposed to be attached...
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1433756693.537856.jpg
weird

Latest posts

Back