Planning Permission on a cul de sac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waxed

Reaction score
hi Guys

I was just wondering if any of you that have home salons live in a cul de sac and have been given planning permission.

I have decided to work from home as long as i am granted planning permission but don't want to get to excited just in case I dont get it as we live in a cul de sac.

Thanks

Angela:hug:

No one can say for sure except for your council... every council has different rules and it's okay for some but not for others.

Have you spoken to them yet? That would be your first step - just give them a quick call and ask, as there's no point doing anything else until you get their permission. If it looks like they won't have any real objections, prepare your application and get it to them asap.

You may also have to go through Health and Safety inspections, and you'll need to contact your insurance provider as well.

Good luck!!

Thank you

I am going this morning to speak to someone so hopefully I will get the answers I need.

Thanks

Angela

Hi ya
Every council is different I was told from my local council that I wouldn't be granted planning permission, but I do use a spare room from home as a beauty room and I can as long as it's used for something else e,g a tv room for the kids. I can only have in 1 person at a time which is fine but me as I have nowhere to put clients waiting and I can only have about 4 people in a day.

Thanks

I phoned this morning and was told that I would need to apply and pay a £300 fee which I just don't have....

I may go down and speak to them as I can use the room also as a toy room / TV room.

I would only have 1 client at a time also so maybe I could get around it this way...

I also have enough room for 3 cars on the drive.I will go down and speak to them in person tomorrow.

Thanks

You do not need to apply for anything just let them know you are working from home and make sure you have business insurance insted of personal on your house.

You do not need to apply for anything just let them know you are working from home and make sure you have business insurance insted of personal on your house.

Erm, that's not exactly true. You do have to ask the councils permission to run a business from a private house. They may not allow it and even if they do they may, or may not, want to do a health and safety check and charge business rates etc.

You also need to ask permission from your mortgage provider and change your house insurance policy.

HTH
jes

Thanks

I phoned this morning and was told that I would need to apply and pay a £300 fee which I just don't have....

I may go down and speak to them as I can use the room also as a toy room / TV room.

I would only have 1 client at a time also so maybe I could get around it this way...

I also have enough room for 3 cars on the drive.I will go down and speak to them in person tomorrow.

Thanks

I also phoned yesterday and was told that as long as I only have one client at a time then this isn't a problem but I can't advertise from my property until I apply for Advertising Consent at £150, and this doesn't guarantee the go ahead either I may still be turned down for this. :rolleyes:

all councils adopt different approaches to what can /cant be done from where so there really is only one way forward for you on this issue....ask the council...explain what you are trying to do from your home.

Planning permission is for building/extending/altering buildings so if your simply going to clean out a spare room and put a couch in then planning permission is not something you will need to worry about.

At worst you may need to go through planning with a "change of use" application for the room you plane to...well erm.."change the use of" but I suspect it would be more of a rates /traffic(parking) issue so would certainly start by making an approach to the city planners office and see where they direct you to

Either way good luck :hug:

Latest posts

Back