Platinum + Ash blonde = GREY? help please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I used to be a hairdresser, but some of my colour theory... well.. it's been many years(yeah, like 19 EEKS).... and I want to be sure about something.

A friend of mine who is on a budget, does her own hair (single mom...).
She was platinum.
Last night, she used a stripper (no idea why) and then applied light ash blonde.

NOW IT'S ALL GREY!

She doesn't want/can't afford to go to the salon to get this corrected. I know that no matter what I advise her, she'll insist on making me do it (she has already alluded to that:rolleyes:) because I usually do it, except this once.

Please correct me if I'm wrong: green cancel's out red, and red cancels out green, right?
And Ash would be green?
So she should get rid of the grey by using a 'copper' blonde or a reddish brown??

She wants to stay 'blonde' and doesn't want to be copper blonde or reddish brown,..
but I'm so afraid of her turning green or worse grey... and I'm soooooooooo rusty on my colour theory.

Please help, she's bent on me fixing it, and I certainly don't want to make it worse.:eek::irked:

not a copper..copper has more orange in it. Go for a yellow /golden based color.
But watch it very carefully.
Was she using a demi/semi colour or a permanent one?

Thanks Jd for answering.

it was a permanent colour and it was the Loreal line "Feria" (which I've never much liked).

I was concerned about 'orange' too.... another reason why I posted. I'm so rusty on colour theory :o

So a 'golden' or 'honey'??

Hey.
This happened to my hair. I was advised by a hairdresser to use a mahogany[?] colour, but i've also read that a golden colour can be used to clear the grey.

Yeah, I thought mahogany too.

Well, she won't go near the mahogany, so she's off to pick up another blonde.. a golden one.

(it's sad, but it really doesn't suit her, blonde of any shade, but can't convince her otherwise :rolleyes:)

Will keep you posted.

THANKS!!
:hug::hug:

Hi
I agree with Jds
I have had people do this and I have just put on a light blonde with plenty of golden tone in it and as Jds says keep an eye to it

good luck x

Hey.
This happened to my hair. I was advised by a hairdresser to use a mahogany[?] colour, but i've also read that a golden colour can be used to clear the grey.

Mahogany on a blonde??? that is dark dark dark..levels 6 and below..:eek:

Hey Vhunter victoria..honey I don't think would carry enough gold in it..it is more nuetral..let us know what happens..

Hi
I used a wella 9/3 and made it a bit a sloppier and applied it at the backwash with 9% and watched the Grey/ ash come out before my eyes,
it only took around ten mins
but I don't know what the condition of your friends hair is like ?:hug:
keep us posted

What vol. did you use Minky demi or permanent

I would suggest a golden colour also - it's much easier to add these tones than remove them. If for some reason, it does look a little TOO golden (orangish/coppery) she can use Clairol's shimmer lights. It's a purple/blue/violet shampoo that will deposit some of that color onto the porous blonde hair, combating the orange/yellow tones.

It really helped me before I went brown again :) They make a conditioner as well, but I've always adored the shampoo. She can do it at home herself in the shower - it's a shampoo, NOT a toner, even though it does tone.

HTH :hug:

Thanks again, I'll tell her all that's been said. I told her golden, so we'll see what she does. I didn't have time to do it the next couple of nights and she want's it done fast so she's trying it on her own :rolleyes:

Her hair is over-bleached, in all honesty. I wish she'd stop bleaching it and turning it blonde all the time. It's like straw.

I've tried to tell her... ... but she's been like this since highschool, it's never blonde enough :rolleyes:

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again so much. You're all dolls!:hug:

What vol. did you use Minky demi or permanent

Hi Jds I used 9% /30 vol with wella koleston permanent tint 9/3 and I think I also added some 0/33 gold tone to the sloppier than usual mix

but the clients hair was in pretty good condition
I used the 9% /30 vol to lift the dark Grey ashy tones out of the hair it only took 10 mins or so at the back wash,
the client was pleased

What would you have used Jds? :hug:

It really depends on the depth of grey ashy tones the hair picked up and the condition of the hair.
I def would go for a gold tone and maybe use a 10V to start with.

hi there:green::green: can you send a pic of the colour before i advice you

It really depends on the depth of grey ashy tones the hair picked up and the condition of the hair.
I def would go for a gold tone and maybe use a 10V to start with.

Hi Jds thanks
Hi to you too Victoria how did you get on ?

The clients hair i treated was badly stained dark Grey, with a lot of grab on the ends I really thought she had a wig on it was that bad.
this will sound awful I nearly couldn't keep a straight face as really thought she was joking.
I was so used to seeing her 10/03 blonde

Her hair was in good condition but it was as dark as a turned off television screen. (her usual hairdresser had done it ) and she was scared to go back .
I had to put it the product on the ends first then roots last.
I did not think the Grey would come out first go but it did, and the gold tones were not too over gold.

Victoria I hope we have all helped in some way,
good luck to you, and tell you're friend we are all keeping a beady eye on what she does to her hair,:lol: it would be interesting to know what she gets up to with her hair and why she keeps doing these things to it :hug:

Latest posts

Back