Platinum blonde to ombré! Help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angeedee

Reaction score
Ok so I'm looking for some suggestions on technique/pre pig with wella.

My client usually gets full head tint of bleach with 12.81 toner so it's pretty much white, now she has a good two inches of natural root base 6 and wants to tone it all Down to an ombré style due to going travelling for a year.

Soo I'm now trying to decide how I'm going to go about applying this because surely I'm going to have to pre pig the mid lengths different to the ends... The look she wants is the picture I have attached. Any suggestions would be great thanks. ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1412214839.908125.jpg

I'm sorry to say this again, cause I know it been said a hundred times on here, but the 12 series is not meant to tone prelightened hair!

Too much ammonia even when mixed with whatever it is being mixed with, it just not meant to be a toner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ok thanks for that. Can anyone help me on suggestions please??

Hmm...If you're looking for a more one step application I'd try a level 6 golden tone with some Red/Orange tint thrown in to balance the undercoat for the first few inches, then an 8 golden tone with some copper thrown in to help the undercoat, then just smudge in with the blonde ends ☺

I couldn't give you specifics for how many grams you'd need to add of the 'enhance undercoat' colour for the darker mid lengths as I dont use Well a but hope this helps ☺

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

I use the foam wraps to apply colour,use wella colour touch with 1.9 and add your mixtone into it as a prepig,I start from root with darker then smudge through mid length then conditioner ends if not wanting them lighter.i find I get better control using the wraps,starting from nape then working towards front hairline.hope that makes sense x

Let's start with what formulas you are picking A. For the natural regrowth B. For the mid lengths and C. For the ends. Then you can pick your pre pig shades.

I'm not a wella geek either but I think the above suggestion of using a level 6 tint on a base 10 which has been over processed with a highlift toner is erm lets say .....a bit brave!

Your issue here will be to blend in the regrowth and cover the old bleach with no demarcation line.

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

I agree with Hailskay.
Colour touch is particularly good to use if the hair is porous and in not so good condition. Just remember it does grab and can go 1 shade darker than what you have chosen on very light areas.
The other product you could use if the hair is in good condition is illumina.
On a recent course the guest colourist told us they often use illumina without pre pig as being violet based instead of ash based it doesn't give the Nasty green tone.
I have tried this a few times & so far it has been fine, just need to stick to the warmer tones.
Hope this helps.

The hair has been bleached and toned with a highlift- why would you attempt to go 4 levels darker with CT, do all of that for it to go wishy washy and fade quickly?

Just to add, if it was a full head would you just throw a level 6 all over to take it darker?

The hair has been bleached and toned with a highlift- why would you attempt to go 4 levels darker with CT, do all of that for it to go wishy washy and fade quickly?

Oh yeah, kinda missed that part of being toned with a high lift tint lol, yeah will probably be extremely porous and not hold on to any colour very well at first.

Would you do a two-step application Colour girly if that were your client?

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes or tell her to go lighter anyway.

I thought she was just after advice on applying rather than what to use?best to do a strand test x

Hope I've not across rude just thought I best apologise if it's been read wrong,sometimes these posts get taken wrong ha x

I thought she was just after advice on applying rather than what to use?best to do a strand test x

Yes and she was given advice to apply a 6 straight on the hair. The OP asked is it best to pre pig- the answer is yes it is x

(You can't really give advice on application without formulas as different products different formulas is different applications 😉)

I must of read it wrong then,defo prepig!!:)

Latest posts

Back