Please help! Buying hair colours

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lollipopz

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this site so a little unsure if I'm posting this correctly.

So I'm new to hairdressing, just qualified, I'm currently doing mobile hairdressing & im trying to get my colour kit together & just need some help on what colours to buy?
So I'm planning on buying 36 colours,
I was going to buy 2 of each base colours 1-10 so that's 20 colours, I've got 16 colours left to choose, I just wanted to ask what are the most popular colours used? Has anyone got any advice on what colours I should get? & do you think getting 2 of each base colours is a good idea?

I wouldn't invest too much in tubes of colour if you haven't already got a clientele, especially colours towards the darker end of the spectrum. For instance, I rarely use anything lower than a 5, so I just buy them in when I need them.

However, if you're mobile then I recommend doing a patch test with the client and then return a few days later having purchased the required tubes of tint. I tend to use a darker tint just for patch testing as that will have more colour pigment in it.

I wouldn't invest too much in tubes of colour if you haven't already got a clientele, especially colours towards the darker end of the spectrum. For instance, I rarely use anything lower than a 5, so I just buy them in when I need them.

However, if you're mobile then I recommend doing a patch test with the client and then return a few days later having purchased the required tubes of tint. I tend to use a darker tint just for patch testing as that will have more colour pigment in it.
That’s what i do, a consultation and skin test then return at least 2 days later to do the colour, that way I’m not buying any colours i wont use, i have a box in the car that is filled with bags all labelled with relevant colours to keep all my tubes in an organised manner so i can see exactly what i have for when I’m going to salon services

You wouldn’t need two bases i would use a 5 on a client then if I ran out I use a 4 and 6 if your mixing with a shade then that’s around 4 clients worth

I have a good stock but I would buy as you go as other suggested

I have all bases
Some warm brown to intermix
3 highlift
Lowlighting colours
Mainly toning shades as I do loads of Balayage

I bulk ordered my bleach so it was super cheaper

That’s what i do, a consultation and skin test then return at least 2 days later to do the colour, that way I’m not buying any colours i wont use, i have a box in the car that is filled with bags all labelled with relevant colours to keep all my tubes in an organised manner so i can see exactly what i have for when I’m going to salon services

Thank you for your reply, I have got a steady client base, so I obviously buy the colours etc that they tend to have. I always do a skin test on new clients or if they have changed any medication, I'm quite strict that way, I'd be devastated if a client got ill from me not doing my job correctly. The reason I was asking about popular colours is because I need to get a colour chart and they do an offer where you get 36 colours and the chart free, which works out cheaper than just buying the colour chart on its own.

You wouldn’t need two bases i would use a 5 on a client then if I ran out I use a 4 and 6 if your mixing with a shade then that’s around 4 clients worth

I have a good stock but I would buy as you go as other suggested

I have all bases
Some warm brown to intermix
3 highlift
Lowlighting colours
Mainly toning shades as I do loads of Balayage

I bulk ordered my bleach so it was super cheaper

Thank you for your reply The reason I was asking about popular colours is because I need to get a colour chart and they do an offer where you get 36 colours and the chart free, which works out cheaper than just buying the colour chart on its own. could I just ask, as I said I've just recently passed so still got lots to learn and experience, when a client asks for example brown 4.0 do you personally just use 4.0 or do you add another colour for example 3.0 just to give it that kick so to speak. I also do a lot of balyage, that's my favourite atm.
This is a recent colour I did, she wanted me to leave curls in so she could loosen them next day.

Attachments

• IMG_4132.JPG
    IMG_4132.JPG
    224.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4134.JPG
    IMG_4134.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I would probably do bases 4/5/ 6/8/10/
Pick 3 Highlifts one warm one cool one neutral
Some lowlight colours on levels 6/7/8
Toning shades on levels 8/9/10 some warm some neutral some cool
The some colour for root tints to mix with bases like brunette and a cool tone

Then you can pretty much intermix what you have to make things.

It also depends massively on what clients you have

...I've just recently passed so still got lots to learn and experience, when a client asks for example brown 4.0 do you personally just use 4.0 or do you add another colour for example 3.0 just to give it that kick so to speak.

I never use a colour chart when doing a colour consultation. That's just for my benefit when mixing.
We discuss what sort of style they want, what sort of colours they wear, discuss eye colour and skin tone and look at pictures on my iPad to narrow down their options. Then I mix something suitable. The client doesn't need to know your formula as it's a trade secret, as far as I'm concerned.

After all, hair colouring isn't a matter of choosing a colour and slapping it on like you would choose emulsion paint for your interior walls. Well, that's not how I work.

In your example, if you added a base 3 to a base 4, you'd end up with a 3 and a half or thereabouts. It would actually be nearer 3 as the percentage of colour pigment is higher, the darker you drop.

I agree but when you are new and freelance you need to be able to see what colour you want for a client and what your going to buy. Not like being in a stocked up salon. I’ve been hairdressing a long time and I communicate with pics prior to consultation but I need a shade guide for reference so I know what to buy. My clients also find it very professional that I have one for the consultation I can’t rely on internet when I turn up to peoples houses. I agree in salon I never used them.

I believe the post is about buying colours so the hairdresser had a shade chart to use, you wouldn’t have a salon with no shade charts? She is also new to hairdressing.

Yes, obviously I have shade charts. At least 7 at the last count as I like to have options. ;)

I was simply steering the OP away from getting clients to pick a colour from a chart and instead focus on doing a proper detailed consultation. That's often where mobile hairdressers can gain salon clients as some salon staff don't spend much time on consultations and rely on the 'pick a colour from a chart' method.

Latest posts

Back