Please help client today

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobile Nails

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a new client whom I work with (part time office work) today for a manicure.

On inspection of her nails she has slight nail separation on some of her nails right at the nail edge, she says caused by a salesman in Ireland selling her a buffer file with cuticle oil for £29 !!! This file is apparently rigid and as far as I can tell may have caused the nail separation. She never had this problem before she used this file and is convinced that it is the cause. (She's only used it once).:confused:

I am doing a mini manicure, but apart from keeping the nails short is there anything else I can do to improve this condition.

Any help would be appreciated.

Heather XX

your advice is pretty much bang on, she has onycholysis (nail plate seperation from the bed)

keep the nails short, advise her to ensure she wears gloves when washing dishes and gardening. Also, make sure she knows not to get under there with anything sharp to clean out dirt, she may make it worse.

Also without knowing how she used the buffer I wouldn't instantly let her blame that as the cause.... She would have to have used it extremely vigorously to cause enough friction to burn the nail bed... Her nails could be too long for what she does, or formaldehyde from cheap enamel... the list goes on.. I personally as a proffessional would not be too quick to say 'yes - that's definitley the cause'

Good luck ;)

A nice thin cuticle oil (such as solar oil) used several times a day on and under the nail will help.

Thank you Envy

Just had a look at the Oncholysis tutorial on here and it was very helpful. Will take this on board when I do her nails this afternoon, with lashings of solar oil!!

Heather X

sell her a big 'ol bottle of solar oil and make her pinkie swear that she'll use it atleast twice a day!! and tell her to get some under the nail too.

Hi everyone. Just been reading your posts. I have been wearing/applying tips for as long as I can remember. I have nail separation on both my ring fingers (only those two) for ages. When it gets really far down the nail bed, I do removed the tips and leave them off till the nail grows out. Is this permanently damaged if I am back to square one as soon as I reapply another set of tips are a few weeks. I do keep my tips relatively short, but it hurts like hell when I catch my nail on either of those two fingers.
Solar Oil - everyone seems to rave about this, why would this help with onycholysis? Is it a CND product, as I am changing over to Creative products at the moment. Just started using the Brisa range (love it) and trying to practice on friends etc.

Yes Solar Oil is a CND product and we all ravea bout it because it really works.

With onycholoysis you need to keep the nail short or it repeatedly happens, you really need to keep them short for a good few months and let the new nail cells grow through that have been plumped up and nice and healthy with the solar oil and hopefully it will not ahppen again, but keep applying enhancmeents is just agravting the condition.

Thanks Scatty fox. I am obviously not allowing the new cells to regenerate long enough, by adding enhancements back on too soon. Will invest in some solar oil, but in all honesty, dont think I will be able to take the tips off (too vain :o( plus its my advertising. So will shorten those two fingers an apply the Solar Oil.
Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back