Please help. Have I been mugged?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadeh

Reaction score
hi

can anyone offer me some advice im currently study beauty therapy level 1 with homelearn.co.uk, i have just been reading some threads and im seriously doubting my course other threads say that the certificate i recive is not worth the paper its written on, i have worked so hard an spent a small fortune already on the course, i chose dis option as i never wanted to go bak to college and there is no other courses in this industry on the isle of wight, other threads are saying its a rip off an im gettin the feeling i have done somthing really stupid, i can get insurance when im finished and i dont want to work in a salon i want to set up from home, im not completly on my own with a book, my step mom is fully qualified therapist so she helps me wit techniques an stuff, i will have to pay for the next level soon and am really unsure wat to do has anyone been in a simular situation?
i will eventulay take 1 or 2 days course but i just want to build my confidence first.
if u can help i would b really gratefull

hi

can anyone offer me some advice im currently study beauty therapy level 1 with homelearn.co.uk, i have just been reading some threads and im seriously doubting my course other threads say that the certificate i recive is not worth the paper its written on, i have worked so hard an spent a small fortune already on the course, i chose dis option as i never wanted to go bak to college and there is no other courses in this industry on the isle of wight, other threads are saying its a rip off an im gettin the feeling i have done somthing really stupid, i can get insurance when im finished and i dont want to work in a salon i want to set up from home, im not completly on my own with a book, my step mom is fully qualified therapist so she helps me wit techniques an stuff, i will have to pay for the next level soon and am really unsure wat to do has anyone been in a simular situation?
i will eventulay take 1 or 2 days course but i just want to build my confidence first.
if u can help i would b really gratefull

I'm am nail girl not a beauty therapist, but IMO it is a hands-on skill that should be taught and learnt in a hands-on environment which is a classroom. As I understand these courses require you to pay extra at the end to get a practical assessment as well as having paid for the theory....... You need to put yourself in the position of your clients and ask yourself if you'd be happy having a therapist who had trained via the internet or a dvd rather than with a live teacher and real people to practice on?

In your position I think I would cut my losses and investigate other ways of learning your trade, even if it does mean going back to college!!

i think you have a very good point i didnt look at it that way i would no be impressed if i was having treatments by someone who dosnt have a reconised qualification, i think im still gona c it out tho as i have learnt so much theory already an just want to build my confidence i wont use this course as qualification to give treatments, my local college only does full time courses which i dont have time to go on at the momment jus found out that there is a beauty school nearby but it is very expensive just for a waxing course is £325 then gota pay assessment fees and there kit, i have been looking into sallys courses as i got family who live near one thinking of taking a couple after xmas then mite go bak to colledge next year i know this is an expensive way of doing things but i just dont want to rush any training and any training i do has to be flexible unfortunaly, jus gona have to save like mad an get as much training in as i can,even when ur done wit ur training theres always i new craze out so u neva stop learning really,
sorry if dis is a bit long lol but do u think that a client would be happy by the time i have done all the training im planning, or do u think im nuts lol!!:)

Hi I done a home study course for nail technician. I studied and practiced hard only to be told here was no practial exam, then I questioned what the certificate was worth - Yep nothing. I got half of my money back, then trained with local company, passed and have insurance. I would never do a home study course again, Im sure they not all bad but fingers burnt once is enough for me. Good Luck x

My advice to you hun would be to carry on what you are doing and get your level one finished. I stongly recommend you dont do level 2 from home. Level one you can probably get away with. Is there any part time courses that you can travel to? xxx

hi
nah the island is a bit behind the times lol!! we only have two wholesalers an there mostsly 4 hair, there is one beauty school but the prices are doubled, as its the only one! so am bit stuck really i would go and study at the colledge but thats only full time an i got a baby and need to go bak to work over the next couple of weeks so i really wont have time, the only other option is the sallys courses but i dont know how good they are,
does anyone know wat short courses are available in the chichester area as i have somewhere to stay there? prob will finish wat im doing then move on its so crappy how people can just take your money like that, but at end of day its not really bout the money, its more bout all the hard work i have put in,

Latest posts

Back