Please help! L&P lifting every time

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larenka

Reaction score
I know its been done to death but as title says I'm having a nightmare! Have done about 8 sets since learning but they all have lifted! Doing thorough prep, slight buff, scrub fresh, light finishing etc but still lifting within a few days. One lady even texted a few hours after to say they had already started lifting!! :Scared:

The only other thing I have been told is my ratio, which is obv guesswork for me at mo! Is this all normal when starting out? The trouble is I also then can't face the rebalances, as spending hours filing out lifting is killing me and obviously don't want to get a bad reputation even if people know I'm training!

Don't want to give up but as you can imagine I'm loosing the will! Hope anyone can give me any other tips id be really grateful!!

Also re rebalances, do most people file right down and in fill? God it's taking me ages!!
Do you soak off overlays or do the same? Or only when completely removing l&p?
Thanks!!

I've only just qualified in L&P, so forgive me if this isn't the right advice for you but my educator told me I was getting lifting as I wasn't pulling the lateral folds (sidewalls) back enough when applying product and my Zone 3 wasn't tapered enough. This could be the same for you if you know your PREP is good. You file 50% when doing a CND rebalance, ensuring you file before a lift so you don't 'chase' it across the nail. I would recommend buying Gigi's book 'Nail class' as it really helps with techniques, going through step-by-step. It takes me 4 hours to do a rebalance at the minute as I'm still perfecting my skills but I am using friends as models, I don't charge at the minute as I take too long, this helps to remove pressure that I would feel if it was a paying client. I hope this helps ;) xx

Who did you train with? I had lifting in clients for 12 months and I was ready to hang in the towel.

However after a one to one I was taught to use one big bead. Starting and the cuticle and tilting the nail right down the product can only go away from the cuticle. I use the same bead through to the end of the tip. 6 Months on, very or no lifting and all my clients nails stay on until I take them off! Hope that helps xx

There are so many causes of lifting:

There are also many threads on this subject so that you can do a search and find loads of information.

Who did you train with? I had lifting in clients for 12 months and I was ready to hang in the towel.

However after a one to one I was taught to use one big bead. Starting and the cuticle and tilting the nail right down the product can only go away from the cuticle. I use the same bead through to the end of the tip. 6 Months on, very or no lifting and all my clients nails stay on until I take them off! Hope that helps xx
OMG I would love to learn how to do that I bet you're really fast too ... how do you get the stress area nice and arched, I think I would just be swiping it all of the end lol

Using one big bead is one way of doing nails but it is not a cure for lifting. It is how they do it in the nails bars for speed and then they file to shape with the drill and paint on a French.

It doesn't matter if you use one big bead or fifty small beads ... You can make nails hundreds of ways.

What stops lifting is making the product adhere to the nail plate. And that is done by meticulous PREP and firm pressing of the bead/beads, without touching the surrounding skin and light smoothing to move the product to the areas where you need strength so that you have built a balanced structure.

LIFTING the word every nail technician dreads.
There is a great tutorial,among others, on here by Sam AKA the nail geek.

In short it all comes down to PREP and APPLICATION.

Prep for nail enhancements is NOT a manicure..the cuticle work has to be a lot more through and precise.If you put the time into your prep including AROUND THE SIDEWALLS you will spend less time at the next appointment.

Application , As soon as acrylic comes into contact with ANY SKIN it will LIFT.
If you mix ratio is wrong and consequently "runny" it will touch the skin and voila...lifting.

Personally i would of said a SMALLER bead in zone 3 would be easier to control.

Who have you trained with??
When i completed my NVQS 10 years ago i too dreaded rebalances because of this very problem. BUT if you put the time into your prep including AROUND THE SIDEWALLS you will spend less time at the next appointment.
I solved my issues and built by confidence by attending a conversion course with CNDs Liza Smith, swiftly followed by a one to one.

In terms of filing lifted product, don't "chase the lift"...file above/behind the lift area and it will flake/shake off

HTH..chin up xx

Using one big bead is one way of doing nails but it is not a cure for lifting. It is how they do it in the nails bars for speed and then they file to shape with the drill and paint on a French.

It doesn't matter if you use one big bead or fifty small beads ... You can make nails hundreds of ways.

What stops lifting is making the product adhere to the nail plate. And that is done by meticulous PREP and firm pressing of the bead/beads, without touching the surrounding skin and light smoothing to move the product to the areas where you need strength so that you have built a balanced structure.

DAMN....as per usual Gigi beats me to it.
A better way with words and obviously faster at typing then me!!lol

DAMN....as per usual Gigi beats me to it.
A better way with words and obviously faster at typing then me!!lol

Your post was splendid and each post gives a different slant. Some people get one explanation better than another, so a few posts that give the same info in different ways is better for people to learn. So nice to see you on the forum Louise. :Love:

I think everything you need to know is in Gigi's book 'Nail Class'
It's really helpful, it's not a stupid price. You can get it from sweet squared or amazon, and other places too just do a search.
It's worth so much more than the money spent on it!

Laura xx

Thanks for all your replies, really appreciate it! Going to go away, note them and practice, practice, practice! :) x

Gidday, I am having this problem too. I think it might be that I have too much liquid (soo hard to get this right, and have a decent sized bead!), and therefore I am not have to pack so much. I am also getting small air bulles in the miix, my tutor said this could be due to too much liquid. I am here with ya, practice ractice practice!:wink2:

Mix ratio is important and your trainer told you correctly that if you use too wet a mix then the product does not behave as it should.

But you know, mix ratio is really not difficult ... You can see when it is right and you can feel when it is right so if it doesn't look right on the brush then dip again to collect a bit more powder, or discard the bead if too dry.

One of the biggest causes of bubbles for new technicians is simply that you will be patting and working the bead too much because you are not sure yet of what you are doing and you are trying to shape a structure and just over working it. Later when you mature as a technician you will place your bead and let it settle out and use only a few presses and strokes to complete the whole nail, bubbles will disappear.

This is a chapter from my book, 'nailclass' which I hope helps you.

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/8912-product-control-part-1-mix-ratio.html

Acrylic control is one of them things thats really hard to describe.
You "just know" when a bead is right...Like you "just knew" your husband was the one for you...
Sometimes its all about finding a mentor on the same wave length as you,some one that speaks the same language as you..
for me it all CLICKED and a little light bulb went off when i met Ketan Patel.
Shame colleges don't tend to teach mix ratio..mainly because most NVQs are taught by beauty therapists that are anti acrylic..but hey thats a whole other post

Latest posts

Back