Please help! Need to increase income

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautqueen

Reaction score
Hi there everybody
My query is a tricky one (well, tricky for me because i've tried and tried to find a solution but can't seem to come up with the answer).
I am a qualified beauty therapist, i qualified only a couple of years ago, i am currently in my first proper spa job. I love my work, and i love the field, but unfortunately health problems at home have meant that i've had suddenly jumped to being the sole breadwinner.
My dilemma is, that i am currently on 13k, working full time for a reputable spa. I MUST earn much higher, even if it means leaving this industry. What i really need to know for sure, before i do, is whether there are ANY jobs in this field, that would pay me at least double the salary i am being paid now. I don't mind if i have to train further, in order to achieve this position –*even a year or two, but as long as i know that after that i would be earning a decent wage. Otherwise i am going to hit serious financial trouble and others now depend on me. If there was any other better paid direction that i can take in this field, it would mean i could stay in it rather than the whole headache and financial worry of having to maybe requalify for something else that pays better, or just switching to a better paid job.
If anybody can help me with this, i would absolutely love to hear from you. Since my mother's illness, everything has changed at home, and i really can't go on working all these hours for such a low salary. We need more now, longterm, and before switching industries completely, i want to know all my options.
Many thanks in advance to anyone who thinks they might be able to help with this query Sofie xxx

Many thanks in advance to anyone who thinks they might be able to help with this query Sofie xxx

Hi Sofie,

Sorry to hear about your situation, and you must fell like your back's up against the wall. I think there are three things you can look at:

• If you've got good wax, eyes and nails skills, look at renting a room in a salon, or working in a salon. If you were in the right place, working full time would allow you to double your income.
  • Have a look at working for one of the supplies in either a sales of technical support role.
  • Have you looked at the help both financial and practical that's available for your mum. Have a talk with your local CAB because they will know of all the things available to support you.

Hi sofie
Sorry to hear things are so tough.

Really good advice from myarka.
I think you can make good money in this business but you only need to read some threads on here about getting more clients, increasing turnover, etc to know is can be really hard and take a very long time.
I personally think one way forward is employment with maybe a little mobile on the side to help you out, but I also think you need to look into whether there is any other financial help out there in your situation as suggested.
Having been a carer for many years I know how hard it can be but there is help out there.

Good luck

Vicki x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

If you're good at what you do and you look around you can find some really generous employers, but it doesn't tend to be the big companies that pay well! I work part time for 2 salons now, one pays me £11 per hour and the other pays me £12 per hour. It's definitely possible to earn good money in beauty if you have the skills. Look for smaller companies to work for.

There's definitely the chance to earn more money if you're self employed but as others have said it takes time to build up clients.

Can your mum claim Attendance Allowance if she needs someone to help look after her? That could bring in much needed money to help make things easier for your mum.

Take care of yourself during this difficult time x

There are some success stories but personally I feel that in a saturated industry they are not the majority.

I decided that after three years of antisocial hours and back pain all in exchange for a smidge above minimum wage that I want more in return for my time and labour and as a result of this I am training to do something else.

Beauty can be an enjoyable industry to be in but I personally believe that those who make enough to live independently are not the majority no matter how good you are. For example, the fantastic college tutor who taught me to do a good (all clients returned) intimate wax is now working on a beauty counter at entry level. You only need to look at most advertised jobs in this industry to see how little they pay.

In the short run see what help you qualify for (working tax credits? Carers money?). In the long run I personally believe that beauty industry pay is often not enough to rely on if you want to be able to comfortably make ends meet after working so hard for so many hours.

Sorry if this post offends anyone but it is my reality and that of a number of people I know and nobody saying "but have you tried...." and "ah but are you doing. ..." is going to change that.

Wishing you and yours well op. Just getting a bit passionate here!

Many many thanks to all those who replied. Several things career-wise for me to think about, so that's great. Thanks also for all your good wishes, and financial tips/advice –*much appreciated :)
Sofie xx

Make sure you check with the local council for discounts on council tax depending on what the criteria is.

I would have a look on the net or phone DSS and ask for advise about extra money a lot of energy providers are doing the warm front scheme see if you can claim that you will get £150 of you heating bill.:D

Latest posts

Back