Please help with some advise (very new)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaza

Reaction score
Hi There Everyone
My name is Karen and i am very new here and to nails.:eek:

I have been wanting to become a nail tech for a number of years now but due to work commitments and the area i live in (Australia ) i found it very hard to enroll in a practical hands on course. Now i am happy to say that i have just started one by correspondence and i already love it although i am a bit stuck already and i was hoping that i could get some advise from you guys.
I have been looking around this site for a couple of weeks and the info i have gained has been fantastic (to say the least). So first of all i apologise if this is long winded and please just bare with me.:o

The first part of the course is mainly regarding business, ( how to set up home or mobile ect) and they are asking me to make my own price lists, with times and prices on them, flyers, also to collect insurance quotes and design my own stock sheets. Now i know that this is all part of running a business, i do intend to work from home in the near future, but how am i supposed to design price lists. and stock sheets if i have not done nails before. I'm not at the stage where i know the products or which ones to even use. I dont know how long each procedure will take as i have only just worked on my son's girlfriends nails ( which she loves) and took me a fair while, with products i have purchased from our local chemist. ( Can i just add that after doing her nails i did have a few people call to ask if i can do there"s, very exciting , but i just dont feel confident yet. I know i have a heck of a lot to learn and i cant wait to really get my teeth into it, but this first part of the course is leaving me a little bit stuck already. Am i just being a dummy or am i supposed to know everything about products and such already.;)

After going through this site i have already purchased a few things to get ready i.e, sterilizers, sanitisers, disenfectents, files, oils, polish's, and a fair few more item's i have mainly bought from ebay and a place called BMNE Direct as most places will not sell to someone who is not qualified, although as i said i'm not sure what i really need.
I hope i haven't bored anyone to death, it has taken me a couple of weeks to have the courage enough to do this here, but from what i read everyone is so very nice and helpful i thought (bugger it) why not ask.
Thankyou so much
karen:D

Hi Karen,

It's so nice to have you here on thenailgeek. A big welcome.

If I was in your position, I would snag a price list or 2 from other nail salons or nail bars in your area and copy them!

As for a stock list ... put everything you can think of from cotton pads to the core products you would need to run a nail salon and go for it. You can be general and not name brand specific eg. remover, prep solution, files, buffers, liquid & powder etc.

look forward to seeing you around.

kaza said:
Hi
The first part of the course is mainly regarding business, ( how to set up home or mobile ect) and they are asking me to make my own price lists, with times and prices on them, flyers, also to collect insurance quotes and design my own stock sheets.

After going through this site i have already purchased a few things to get ready i.e, sterilizers, sanitisers, disenfectents, files, oils, polish's, and a fair few more item's i have mainly bought from ebay and a place called BMNE Direct as most places will not sell to someone who is not qualified, although as i said i'm not sure what i really need.

I hope i haven't bored anyone to death, it has taken me a couple of weeks to have the courage enough to do this here, but from what i read everyone is so very nice and helpful i thought (bugger it) why not ask.
Thankyou so much
karen:D

Hi karen

Welcome to the nail geek (hope you`ll be very happy here lol!)

www.professionalbeartydirect.co.uk is one insurance provider over here in the UK. www.BABTAC.com are another that I know of - the only thing I can suggest is to do a web search for beauty insurance for OZ and if you draw a blank - then you could always email them for some help.

Having said that I`m sure there`s a few geeks on here from your neck of the woods - so it might be worth having a look through the public profiles and sending them a pm (private message) - I`m sure they`d love to help you.

As geeg suggested - skank a few price lists from local salons - or look on salon websites for prices ect - if non of them give you any indication as to how long a service "should" take - ring them up (as if you were a potential client and ask them)

Good luck with your course and never turn willing models away - when your training you need all the "Live" models you can get your hands on!! - if you don`t feel confident enough to charge them and they offer- ask them for a donation to help cover your costs (rather than your time) - this is what i did while training (and still do if there`s something i want to "have a go at" - only on family and friends though - never on clients!!!)

hope some of it helps and never be scared to ask questions no matter how "dumb" or "boring" YOU might think they are!! - we`ve all been there.:D

Thankyou both so much for the reply so quickly.

I have managed to get 2 price list's from salon's here were i live ( there are only 2 salons that do nails here) but one actually had NO prices on it, ( i had to ask) thats the salon that i usually get my hair done and i have never seen anyone getting their nail done there. And the other didn't have a lot of detail either, just things like Acrylic nail $65.00 or in-fills $35.00. didnt say anything about time or what was involved. I cant ask them to much because they dont like giving anything away unless i book in for an appointment, and as i usually do my own i dont need to do that. although having said that maybe i should just to see what they do.
And thankyou I will also look up any oz people and their profiles to pm them. thankyou i hadnt thought of that. I have also had to find a name for my new business as i have to do business cards and everything for this course, so i've done a bit of a search to make sure its not taken ( it isnt) and now i'm in the process of reg that name, so that is really EXCITING.
I'll keep you posted on how i'm going and keep asking questions if thats ok.
This is a fantastic site, especially when your just learning and no doubt for any other time as well.
thanks heaps
karen

Latest posts

Back