Please please help, how do you tell if your fingers are straight??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redhead

Reaction score
Hi I have just been accepted onto an NVQ level 2 hairdressing course at my local college starting in Septmeber, VERY excited. Any way I've already got a block and scissors and bare essentials so I did a 2 day introduction to hairdressing course so I could get a bit of an insight into the cutting. (How people think they can fast track hairdressing is beyond me? but thats another thread I gues). Well I'm really struggling with been able to tell if my fingers are straight. The more I try the more I feel that my fingers are bent. God its so frustrating. Is there anything I can do or is there some sort of guide to use. I follow my comb with my fingers but It just doesn't feel right. Am I sounding really thick? Sorry for rambling, just panicking, if I cant even hold hair straight not much hope for cutting it straight either. Thanks in advance. :cry:

Don't worry, wait until your course, it'll come with practice and eventually you will just sense whether your fingers are correct. Learning how to hold the scissors and comb and taking your thumb out of the scissors and palming them - thats the first skill to master before any cutting takes place. Really don't worry - wait until September - enjoy your summer!:lol:

Hi I have just been accepted onto an NVQ level 2 hairdressing course at my local college starting in Septmeber, VERY excited. Any way I've already got a block and scissors and bare essentials so I did a 2 day introduction to hairdressing course so I could get a bit of an insight into the cutting. (How people think they can fast track hairdressing is beyond me? but thats another thread I gues). Well I'm really struggling with been able to tell if my fingers are straight. The more I try the more I feel that my fingers are bent. God its so frustrating. Is there anything I can do or is there some sort of guide to use. I follow my comb with my fingers but It just doesn't feel right. Am I sounding really thick? Sorry for rambling, just panicking, if I cant even hold hair straight not much hope for cutting it straight either. Thanks in advance. :cry:
I HAVE BEEN A HAIRDRESSER FOR 15 YEARS NOW ,I OWN MY OWN SALON AND HAVE TRAINED A FEW APPRENTIST ,WHAT YOU ARE FEELING IS NORMAL ,A 2 DAY COURSE WILL NOT BEGINE TO SHOW YOU THE BASICS ,SO TRY NOT TO WORRIE ABOUT THINGS ,START YOUR COURSE AND TAKE EACH UNIT AS IT COMES AND IM SURE YOU'LL MAKE A GOOD STYLIST XX:green:

I am right handed but suffered nerve damage (due to major a accident to my arm as a child) in this hand which had left me with limited dexterity in my thumb to middle finger , very limited feeling in these 3 digits.
I wont lie to you i struggle to do the old fashioned perms on short hair, but i can whizz thro extensions , cuts and foils ect.
All i am trying to say is calm down, i was so bothered by my disability i hadnt got the confidence to train as a hairdresser straight from school in case everyone shouted LOOK AT THAT GIRL WITH THE GAMMY HAND TRYING TO DO HAIR! However in my twenties i did it and was one of the top ones in my class.
Dont give up us hairdressers are allowed to be less than physically perfect too.

Your tutor will assess your technique etc and correct you if needed. No need to worry now.

Thankyou to everyone for all your support. God I wish I had found this sight sooner I think you would all have given me the confidence to do this earlier. Thanks ever so much :)

where i did my training they taught me to cut under the comb as this works better on the even finish as your not pulling to much un even tension on the hair. use your cutting collar as a guide to as the one i have has lines going around it and that helps whe positioning the comb in a straight line. practice makes perfect hunny and it will come together in the end. before you know ti you will be cutting to perfection:hug:​

??? I'd have thought unless you have a spirit level on the comb and you know you have the 'cutting collar' on straight and their head isn't leaning to one side even slightly there are easier methods and more failsafe - like practice and good training. I also imagined she was talking about layering? is cutting to guide lines on a collar standard practice and I was ill that day in college??:eek:

There is a lot more to it than cutting against a collar, in the same way there is more to it than holding your fingers straight.

When learning to cut, it is important to learn;
1.exact sectioning
2 points of graduation
3 Correct stance
4 Correct head positioning
5 Good scissor technique
6 Over and under direction
7 layering and graduation patterns
8 parts of the head that help you "anchor" your cut correctly.

All these should be addressed by your tutor in your early cutting training. If they are not, then ask questions.

Latest posts

Back