Please Please help me on BIG hair matter!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aimee1412

Reaction score
Hii, im just after some well needed advise on a career move.
I have JUST finished my NVQ L2 Hair, completed with 10 units..and i was working on the shop floor as a stylist in a salon, and got offered a job in a Vidal Sassoon trained salon , were i would get futher training..upto a Vidal Sassoon level, which to me, sounded like an amazing oppertunity.

At the interview she told me i would start on £320 a month, but the higher i got, the more my wage would increase..which put me of as im 20, with a car, bills and rent, i cant afford to many months on £320. But as im quite capable i thought il be on a higher wage in no time..
So i thought, its an oppertunity i would be silly to miss.

So i left my old job, and started working for the new salon, i have only been there a few weeks, and am yet to even have a 'model'. I spoke to the manager today and found out all the information i needed..im allowed to bring a model in on wednesday, which i thought great! i can show her my potential and that i am at a higher standard than junior.
So i procceded to ask her how long she thought it would be until i am working as a stylist on the floor, and she replied with 'Well obviously i don't know at what standard your at, as the city centre salons are at a high level' and basically told me that a college NVQ meant nothing to the higher salons and if i were to go into one, i would be a year 1 junior and trained higher (My friend qualified from the same college as me last year and went to work for toni an guy) and is now helping with teaching in Manchester, and is a floor stylist. I know i shouldnt compare myself if her, as our skills are different, but were not THAT different..

Annnyyyway back to the actual issue, i then asked her if i show her my abilities and i am at a higher standard, would..and when would my wage increase..an she told me that in 6-8 months she will assess the businesses finances and see if she has any spare money, and if she does, then assess my wage.

What do you guys think? I feel i was told the truth, but it was slightly sugar coated.

I mean, in my old salon, i did a ladys hair who was so impressed by what i had done on her hair, she tipped me £10, and also asked where i had trained, and said she would recommend anyone wanting to study hairdressing to were i trained as they produce hairdressers like me.

I feel now, like i have made an unnessecary step backwards..i need some help and advice please.

a similar thing happened to me 10 years ago , but im glad i stayed and got the experience ,because its not all about hair its about people ,and there are so many differant types out there! Just make sure you are on at least minimum wage and build up the rest in tips and commision. if theres a product to be sold at the desk ,makesure you sell it!keep your profile up (dont sit in the back room or chain smoke fags outside) and people will get to know you and consider you doing their hair if someone else is ill . People tend to drop out of hairdressing very quickly so you probably will get moved up -but your boss cant guarentee it.
too many salons have undertrained staff practicing as hairdressers even fast tracked nvqs, im sure you are very talented but that will shine through dont give up and take every oppurtunity you can .
there are lots of compitions for young stylsts and juniors which will help raise your profile .
id try to stay away from shampooing and floor washing and be more into mixing colours ,passing up and reception - then you look busy and get to know people and dont look like a dogsbody !
And if you do want to go straight in as a stylist ,you can try supercuts or something like that

the only thing that concerns me with what your saying is that your 20 and not on minimum wage i would look into this and check as i feel you should be on higher than that at your age.
but also i agree it is a good oppotunity to get the training you want just keep bugging your boss about helping out and keep asking about the training and get some more models in maybe in your own time to show how willing you are,watch the other stylists closely ask them lots of questions and they will see how keen you are and maybe put in a good word to your boss. but dont be taken as a mug....give it the 6 months then if nothing is happening ask your boss again and explain your situation.
but i myself would not go to a salon like supercuts as they only do cutting and no chemical work, and i dont feel they give the service that our clients require (at least not in our town anyway).

good luck
x

Hi, what does it state in your contract of employment ?

are they fulfilling all the things that it says they should ?
are you happy there ?
can you see yourself being happy there in the future ?

if you feel that nothing much is happening and that they arn't teaching you anything
you may be better off seeking new employment ,

but first it may be wise to check what you have signed on your contract of employment, (that is if you have signed one yet )

or are you still on trial ?

if you are really unhappy there ,:cry:
It may be easier to leave before they have started to invest heavily in your training ,

so if you do decide not to train there,
it may be wise to get out sooner rather than later
as they may legally be able to claim back any training costs ,

this usually applies to most major private hairdressing training companys

after they have invested their time and money in your training
this is usually the time that they will try and keep you to your contract of employment ,

the legal side of things should all be in the the contract you may have signed or if you are on trail (going to sign)

so do read all the small print in the contract of employment carefully ,

At the present moment I would think you are in a pretty good position to make a choice,
whether to stay or go
as it would not be too much of a problem as its only early days and they have not invested in your training as yet ,

Perhaps your friend could put in a good word for you at Toni and Guy,

but do consider that most major hairdressing companys may have these types of contracts ,
as they have to protect their own investments and interests too :hug: x

I hope you are very happy wherever you choose to work ,

and I hope I have helped you to see things a bit clearer :hug: x minky
if you need any more help please just ask x

Latest posts

Back