POI question - strand testing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vividamnesia

Reaction score
I am located in Canada, been doing hair since 1995, taken tons of advanced color/color corrective courses over the years.

A peculiar practice I have noticed between here & with our peers overseas, is that here, we do the strand test on clients hair, attached to the clients head while client is enduring this. I do this booked between a color job/slow day or after hours,close to closing.

Is actually cutting a long strand of the clients hair out/off for testing, a common practice over there? ....If yes, I can't believe clients agree to it easily! Specially those women that are so partial to their long hair?!

.....funny how I would never think of doing this 4 a test & you guys seem to have your clients offer a lock no problem!:eek:

I find it very surprising that you don't routinely do this to be honest.

The reason for strand testing is to take several strands from different areas on the head and try out a formula to determine what works. This is essential when lifting with bleach to determine optimum formula and length of time to process.

Also, it gives you time to review your options and you can present the completed tests to the client as evidence to support your consultation.

So...once you've strand tested, while its still attached to someone's head, how do you remove the colour?
Would this be before or after a patch test?
More so if your strand test didn't do what you expected it to do, your poor client is left with a bit that's an odd colour before her colour appointment

We don't cut a chunk out! Maybe 2 mm width, the client would never notice, much more of a practical approach!

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

I first take a section as thin as what I would put it a foil, backcomb it, then weave it, then back comb it again then cut straight across and this leaves them with no shorter pieces, all the hair just melts back into each other and they'd never notice

So you skin test then 48hours invite them in to have 1 strand coloured on their head?

So you skin test then 48hours invite them in to have 1 strand coloured on their head?

I personally think that'd be a waste of time, not only for the client but for the colourist as they could be doing a client service and earning money instead of colouring one little piece on the clients head in salon, strand testing can be done after hours or on lunch so no time is wasted

So...once you've strand tested, while its still attached to someone's head, how do you remove the colour?
Would this be before or after a patch test?
More so if your strand test didn't do what you expected it to do, your poor client is left with a bit that's an odd colour before her colour appointment

We don't cut a chunk out! Maybe 2 mm width, the client would never notice, much more of a practical approach!

We dont remove it, they just keep it until their full appointment or have 1 small colored bit hidden in the back if they do not book in.

Not so many in need of a skin test unless they come in with chemical concerns from past experiences. I do the test in elbow bend & get a report 2 days later. I havent done a ton of strand tests over the years as I find its only needed if their request is iffy or they are demanding & have heavily processed hair on the verge of damage.

I find it very surprising that you don't routinely do this to be honest.

The reason for strand testing is to take several strands from different areas on the head and try out a formula to determine what works. This is essential when lifting with bleach to determine optimum formula and length of time to process.

Also, it gives you time to review your options and you can present the completed tests to the client as evidence to support your consultation.

We dont remove clients hair for it, we pick a hidden section in the interior of the hair & do it.

We dont remove it, they just keep it until their full appointment or have 1 small colored bit hidden in the back if they do not book in.

So the clients sits in your home for 30-60 minutes ONTOP of the time of her actual appointment? Ekkk

Think ill stick to cutting a bit off and sending my client on her way until her appointment time, she'll get a numb bum sat there art that while lol

So do you skin test prior to the colour test in the hair?

So do you skin test prior to the colour test in the hair?

She said she only skin tests if chemical concerns - that's a new one for your insurance.

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

She said she only skin tests if chemical concerns - that's a new one for your insurance.

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

That sounds like a good idea. Clients never coloured her hair before, she's had no chemical concerns so I'll just stick a colour on and let her get an allergic reaction

Yup my insurance would love that one, ah well I diddnt have any concerns so I thought she'd be ok.....

To the op

In college One of my bff's had a very severe reaction to the same dye we'd used many times before if we had re done her patch test 48hrs before carrying out the service We could have saved her a lot of agony, you can never tell just by a persons history if they'll react to a chemical in a certain way, isn't it compulsory by your insurance to carry out this test on every colour client where you live?

Latest posts

Back