polish chipping too easily!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emily22

Reaction score
Hi, I did two sets of nails friday evening (manicure & polish), and saw the clients today and found that the polish had chipped very slightly on the tip of the nail, I used opi, did the whole base coat, polish and tops coat etc and cant understand why this has happened. One of the clients said she had been washing up and thinks thats when she did it, is this a likely cause or have i done something wrong??:eek:

No hun you've not done anything wrong, client needs to be wearing rubber gloves when washing up, gardening etc. Why do clients think what we do is indistructable.

I agree with Susie but just a word of warning- make sure you wait until each coat is dry before applying the next- im sure you have been doing this anyway, i find that Creative enamels last longer than OPI and are cheaper!!

:) ok, thanks - Ive only been doing the course since beginning of september so was really worried that it was something i'd done, I had checked through all my 'checklist' of the manciure process and knew id dont it all, and although they weren't funny about it i couldnt help but feel it was my fault!

Thanks again!!:)

Oooo just had a thought- again i am sure you have done this but make sure you remove surface shine with polish remover before the base coat- best of luck

hi, thanks again for all the replies, i have done all the removing shine etc with polish remover, dont want to sound stupid here but how long would you recommend to allow each coat to dry? I do leave it a short while between each layer, but when we do it at college our tutor is always rushing us (we only have 3 hours each week), and she has never actually sadi how long we should leave it, when we are practicing on each other she tells us as soon as we have finsished a coat on the second hand we have to go straight onto the first again to apply the next, this doesnt seem long enough to me so i do leave it a little bit longer....

Its not a stupid question- when i used OPI i had to wait a while compared to Creative. The general i always say is wait until it is touch dry then reapply- then wait again until you put the top coat on - always wait because if you dont even before leaving you the client can smudge her nails and there is nothing worse when you have tight appointments- was it a french polish or standard colour? and was it on natural or enhanced nails? because this all makes a difference

I do touch dry between coats and for the top coat make them sit with a cuppa untill they can put the surface of the nails together without them feeling sticky.

thats a good tip Sussie but a daring one if they do it too soon as we know clients can be inpatient! , also Creative have a good quick dry spray and sets nails extra quick !!

I never really wait for each coat to dry or even test it.

Just do my base coat, apply two coats of enamel, topcoat then solar speed dry. Clients then wait 5-10 mins before they leave.

Obviously it won't be properly dry for a couple of hours but I don't feel I have to wait inbetween coats at all.

oh I use creative,

HTH

woah! thanks for the tips! Alot of people seem to use 'creative', we are just using opi because its what our tutor recommended, wheres the best place to buy the creative? I might try some of their colours before i build up a big collection, would you say its best to stick to one brand of polishes or is it ok to have a choice of brands for clients?

I was only doing a full colour on natural nails, we havent got onto the french manicures yet (although i cant wait because i think it makes the nails look lovely!), im so new to all this, some of the other girls at college seem to know a bit about the different brands etc, but as bad as it is to admit, im not someone who has ever taken care of my nails, i never had a manicure until I went to college! I cant believe I went all this time like that because its amazing the difference it all makes! Also being a nail biter (or former nail biter now!), ive got good reason not to keep the bad habit! And it does make you more confident when your hands look better! I hated my hands before, and although its going to take time to get them as good as some of my clients - i do feel better about them already!!! (Just need to avoid having them filed EVERY week at college - whatever nail growth I have gets filed off every week!!!:mad: )

When I was at college that was the first experience of a manicure too. Actually I've never had one done professionally since either.

I bought a load of stuff when at college and basically I bought a load of rubbish and have never used it since.

There's no harm in trying out different makes but just don't go mad and buy loads until you make your mind up who you like. There is no harm in having more than one make of nail products/enamel but it's easier in the long run where you get supplies from and cheaper as you don't want to overspend on delivery charges.

I use Creative, got the nail enamel stand etc, but I do have two sneaky bottles of OPI in a colour that Creative doesn't seem to do for one specific client.

HTH

To buy any Creative polishes you will need to train with Creative, I would see if anyone near you has Creative and book yourself in for a manicure or shape and polish and see the difference. I always keep to one type of polish as the general public tend to go with what you reccommend and Creative is the only product i love that i have worked with!! so my advise would be just one. Best of luck growing your own nails!! I was a nail biter too before i qualified- god im glad i let them grow otherwise your clients will not be able to look up to you as they want to follow what advise their nail tech is giving them - also make sure you only apply thin layers of polish and then it will set alot quicker

I have never waited for any of my applications to dry, none of us do in the salon always base - 1-2 coats of colour - top coat, opi drops or creative spray and bobs your uncle. It would be best if your client wears rubber gloves especially in the first few hours, I never wear gloves etc when washing up (I know practise what you preach) but my enamel never chips, i use creative and opi enamels.

Latest posts

Back