Polish designs using coloured acrylic, to cap or not to cap?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkletips

Reaction score
Hi all just wondering when your doing your #not polish designs with coloured acrylic do you cap the whole design in clear acrylic or not? I see a lot of youtube tutorials don't but I thought that using coloured acrylic I would need the strength of the clear acrylic on top? is this the steps you would use
1 lay a block of colour starting at the cuticle and use your brush to shape the acrylic. let's just say in a line for example
2 once acrylic has set file the line to get it crisp
3 apply next colour
4 file as before once the acrylic has set
5 file across the whole design on top to reveal the sharp lines
6 cap in clear acrylic
7 finish file and top coat

I know you don't file glitter so let's just say for example we are working with coloured acrylic only.
I have a client in 2 days who would like this sort of design but I can't decide if I need to cap.Can anyone help??

It depends on your powder, some products are designed to be strength powders so you don't need to cap with clear to protect the design or the intregrity of the nail structure. Some manufacturers product colour powders that are really just for creating designs and need capping. If in doubt, cap, then you definitely won't ruin your design or compromise the strength. You just need to be aware of the thickness issues, capping can double the thickness if you're not careful.

Good luck with the client

Hi Trinity, thank you for that explanation. I would like to avoid capping if I can since like you mentioned I need to keep the underlaying design thin which makes it a little more difficult to file to sharpen lines as I go. it would also mean that I would have to file the design to reveal the lines and finish file after capping which would take a lot more extra time. i'm using the nsi technail range and nsi clear that I have coloured with pigments myself. would you happen to know if these are strength powders or intended for design only? TIA xx

I only use NSI for P&W so not an expert but I would suggest the ones you've created with pigments and clear polymer are strength colours as the clear powder you used is a strength product.

No idea about the Technail range, have you googled to see??

ETA - I've just googled and from the NSI site it says:-

Advanced coloured acrylic powder for easy workability and long-lasting toughness. Delivers exceptional adhesion, strength, and flexibility when used with Attraction Nail Liquid.

From that I believe they are strength powders so no capping required.

http://www.nsinails.co.uk/content/technail_coloured_acrylic is the link for you to check yourself

I would do it as follows:
1. Create shape using paper thin clear layer so that you file down rather than have to soak off next time
2. Create first colour block thinly and cut a sharp line in when lightly set with floss, sewing thread or similar
3. Repeat cleaning colour borders as you go with monomer
4. Cap in clear to create structure & an even surface which can be filed to perfection.

1 bead is all you need to cap & it will make finish filing the shape much easier.

Structure & capping in clear will also save you £ as colour powders are a lot more expensive than standard powders which is a main reason why you wouldn't build strength with them.

Also, coloured powders are often more porous and susceptible to staining/discolouration. So they look great at the appt but not so good 2 weeks later if you don't cap them.

Colour powders are very pigmented and can be applied super thin. The only issue with thickness may come from mixing your own colours - are you getting sufficient opacity mixing with clear? Are you aiming for jelly/stained glass effect? If not you need to add a dash of white to get opaque colours more easily.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
thanks Trinity, I hadn't googled it but I did check the description that NSI Australia have about technail and interestingly it has a different description to the link you posted? I don't know how to post a link though :oops: so I can't add it here? but I copy and paste this from there.

TECHNAILCOLOR MIXABLE COLOURED ACRYLIC 7g Jar
  • Vibrant colours bring your designs to life.
  • Use for creating embedded designs, colour fades, 3D nail art, and so much more.
  • High pigment colors that can be mixed, including Opal Shimmer, an iridescent super-fine glitter.
  • Works with our Attraction Acrylic System and our Balance UV Gel System.
  • A full range of mixable acrylic powders that can be used to create embedded designs, colour fades, and 3-D nail art over finished acrylic or gel enhancements.
I will ask them directly I think just to clear up my confusion:confused:

willowrose, thanks fro your reply hun. do you need to file over your design before capping or are you neat enugh that you don't have to? I feel the lines would look crisper if I did? I already apply designs over a thin clear base to give me something to file back to when I infill and change design so that's why I was concerned it may get too thick. My profile pic is a set I did using clear that was tinted with pigment and it seems to be opaque enough. I personally love the jelly effect but hasn't been popular with clients so I add enough pigment that it doesn't have that see through effect. Do you have any pics of your work you wouldn't mind posting showing this technique? I would love to see them:)

I think however neat you apply a gentle buff over the colours would be needed for an ultra smooth finish. I certainly give a buff before capping.

My musing on methodology was purely theoretical. I don't take clients & the type who go to my salons are very conservative. But... I took your query as a challenge since I was changing my nails anyway lol. So I've done a couple of nails & have attached the pics which are not perfect but hey ho - it is super hard to pull thread tight using one hand only! That's my excuse lol.

It's not that you can't do it your way. But building an apex whilst simultaneously doing the design complicates matters & costs more as colour powders are so much more expensive. Capping is cheaper, ensures optimum shape & protects the design.

There's another thread on here about the same colour block designs which started just after yours. Succinctly the chap whose work is shown uses a tool to make sharp edges. Acrylic is very easy to cut so it's quicker and easier to cut designs in rather than file them:

http://www.salongeek.com/threads/where-can-i-learn-to-do-nails-like-these.297171/#post-2465580

cb nails 1.jpg cb nails 2.jpg cb nails 3.jpg cb nails 4.jpg cb nails 5.jpg

I think however neat you apply a gentle buff over the colours would be needed for an ultra smooth finish. I certainly give a buff before capping.

My musing on methodology was purely theoretical. I don't take clients & the type who go to my salons are very conservative. But... I took your query as a challenge since I was changing my nails anyway lol. So I've done a couple of nails & have attached the pics which are not perfect but hey ho - it is super hard to pull thread tight using one hand only! That's my excuse lol.

It's not that you can't do it your way. But building an apex whilst simultaneously doing the design complicates matters & costs more as colour powders are so much more expensive. Capping is cheaper, ensures optimum shape & protects the design.

There's another thread on here about the same colour block designs which started just after yours. Succinctly the chap whose work is shown uses a tool to make sharp edges. Acrylic is very easy to cut so it's quicker and easier to cut designs in rather than file them:

http://www.salongeek.com/threads/where-can-i-learn-to-do-nails-like-these.297171/#post-2465580

View attachment 193330 View attachment 193331 View attachment 193333 View attachment 193334 View attachment 193335
oh wow hun that looks great!! sooo clean and crisp!

I actually had a play too! mine was a full set on a client and she seeded quite happy with the result. im super awful at attaching pics but i'll try lol I have seen the technique your describing and while it probably is quicker and easier I wasn't sure if that might look less professional than using a brush and file lol don't know if that's a ridiculous thought as if its good enough for the nail boss it should be good enough for me :) ill go check out the other thread now.View media item 64298

These look great! Im going to have a go later! X

These look great! Im going to have a go later! X

could you put up some pics when you do? i'm really getting into this style of design at the moment and would love to see your version and how you did it. unfortunately I've been told mine just look like polish so was probably a waste of time doing it with acrylic:(
i'm definitely going to try again tho x

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1452363982.468550.jpg

Heres my attempt!
Not bad for 1st go! Xx

Latest posts

Back