Porous nails and Gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsKelliG

Reaction score
Hi all,

Please be kind as this is my very first post!!

I went to a new client last night, completed a consultation card, asked if she had any problems with her nails etc and she replied no.

Prepped her nails well, applied ph bond, thin coat of foundation and started on the polish - by the time I got to the 5th finger you could see that the colour was literally sliding on previous fingers - at first I thought it was me, mentally went over my prep etc, and for a second even though 'my god I've missed a bit'.

Ploughed on to both coats and top it off and was half way through the second hand when my client mentioned that when she puts normal polish on she has to use lots of coats as that seems to slide off too ..... Hate to say my first thought was 'yay it's not me!' but it got me thinking about possible remedies for it - being a recently qualified nail tech I haven't encountered this before and it's shaken my confidence quite a bit ....

I've read that two base coats may help but does anyone have any other suggestions???

Thanks in advance!

Anyone?? 😕

Could you perhaps try some structure gel underneath? I'm new too and have never encountered this so hopefully an experienced geek will be along to help you out :) x

When you say 'slide off' what exactly do you mean? Do you mean that the Gelish starts getting holes in it?

If so, I've read on here that it is because of oily nail beds so your client may benefit from you using 2 coats of PH Bond and once you've applied the colour, flash cure it for 10 seconds while you do the other fingers. I've not personally come across this but I've read about it on my travels! :)

I also find "scrubbing" the thin layer of foundation in helpful - and of course dry brushing. Colour then tends to stay put xx

Sent from my iPhone 5S using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for the replies - when I say sliding I mean it's as if the colour is being soaked into the nail - shrinking on the nail before I've even had a chance to cure it .... I've read that 2 base coats may work as the initial coat will probably just sink into the nail ...
I've spoken to my client this morning and they're fine this morning but it took nearly twice as long as normal to do her nails because I had to keep going over them 😕

Thanks for the replies - when I say sliding I mean it's as if the colour is being soaked into the nail - shrinking on the nail before I've even had a chance to cure it .... I've read that 2 base coats may work as the initial coat will probably just sink into the nail ...
I've spoken to my client this morning and they're fine this morning but it took nearly twice as long as normal to do her nails because I had to keep going over them 😕

Wouldn't two base coats make it harder to remove? I think double ph bond might do it, have you used the same colour on any other clients? Some Gelish colours are notorious for shrinkage xx

Did you dry brush your foundation? x

I used Caution - not aware of any problems with it and when I called to see my client yesterday it hadn't shrunk anymore so it hasn't disappeared completely .... Didn't think to use 2 coats of ph bond but will try it the next time I'm there and no didn't dry brush the foundation as this wasn't even mentioned to us in training (!!!!) but will definitely give that a go too 😊

I used Caution - not aware of any problems with it and when I called to see my client yesterday it hadn't shrunk anymore so it hasn't disappeared completely .... Didn't think to use 2 coats of ph bond but will try it the next time I'm there and no didn't dry brush the foundation as this wasn't even mentioned to us in training (!!!!) but will definitely give that a go too 😊

Do your prep, then foundation & cure. Then with a clean dry brush wipe it over your foundation layer. Then do your colour coats as normal. Hopefully It should make a difference. Let us know how you get on xx

Thanks for the tip - I'll definitely give it a go 😊

Just a quick update!

It's the colour - 'Caution' - I used it on my own nails this evening and have uneven gaps where the colour has 'shrunk' ..... Quite sad because it's a lovely shade 😔

Just a quick update!

It's the colour - 'Caution' - I used it on my own nails this evening and have uneven gaps where the colour has 'shrunk' ..... Quite sad because it's a lovely shade 😔

I love caution & mine is lovely to work with.
Have you had it long? Maybe give harmony a call and check it out. x

I've only had it a couple of weeks - I did two coats of ph bond, applied foundation, cured and dry brushed and it still shrunk - dodgy bottle perhaps?!

I've only had it a couple of weeks - I did two coats of ph bond, applied foundation, cured and dry brushed and it still shrunk - dodgy bottle perhaps?!

Are you applying it too thick? Maybe you can attach a picture. My imagination is thinking it may be pitting.

Latest posts

Back