Possible to go mobile without a car?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i used to be mobile and unable to drive i relied on lifts from family which looked very unprofessional luckily i can drive now but i would either rent a room or look into driving lessons it certainly is an advantage as carrying all your equipment on buses and trains i think would be difficult especially if you have distance to walk afterwards

I think it's easier to do in London, as the majority of clients don't live more than 5/10 mins walk away from a tube station or overground if within zones 1-3. Driving takes longer and you can't park anywhere without a permit. There are tubes every 3 mins and buses the same and you just swipe in/out with your oyster. No faffing about buying train tickets. I am mobile on foot (hello Spudclarke btw!) and currently do Spray Tanning and Shellac nails. However there is a big but and that's you are very limited on what you can offer. I'm trained in massage and I can't offer this without the couch as I would need a car. You are restricted in that way. I'm planning to offer Indian head massage instead, as that can be done on the clients dining room chair. I carry everything in a pink granny trolley, got the idea of a fellow SG! And carry my tent on my shoulder. I also know somebody who does it full time, has a full diary and just hops on and off the tubes and buses. I couldn't be mobile on foot if I was still living down in Sussex no way but in London it's more than possible as long as you can fit everything into a wheelie bag or suitcase :)

I think it's easier to do in London, as the majority of clients don't live more than 5/10 mins walk away from a tube station or overground if within zones 1-3. Driving takes longer and you can't park anywhere without a permit. There are tubes every 3 mins and buses the same and you just swipe in/out with your oyster. No faffing about buying train tickets. I am mobile on foot (hello Spudclarke btw!) and currently do Spray Tanning and Shellac nails. However there is a big but and that's you are very limited on what you can offer. I'm trained in massage and I can't offer this without the couch as I would need a car. You are restricted in that way. I'm planning to offer Indian head massage instead, as that can be done on the clients dining room chair. I carry everything in a pink granny trolley, got the idea of a fellow SG! And carry my tent on my shoulder. I also know somebody who does it full time, has a full diary and just hops on and off the tubes and buses. I couldn't be mobile on foot if I was still living down in Sussex no way but in London it's more than possible as long as you can fit everything into a wheelie bag or suitcase :)

I also will be doing spraytan and shellac! This has really inspired me and given me that boost to no that it is possible and a good option until I can drive. What do you do if you have shellac and spraytans booked in the same day? ... It must be one heavy wheelie bag! Lol :) x

Lol that's not happened yet, I'm waiting for the day I get a booking for both :) I will probably put everything into a suitcase and then carry my tent and portable table on one shoulder as they both weigh under 2kg each and grit my teeth and think of the money haha! I have to say that being mobile on foot certainly keeps you fit and strong ;) Good luck and go for it! Xx

Hi. So I've decided to go mobile. I've gone for the compact version of everything and have a carry case with wheels that just about fits everything albeit heavy AND my massage couch. I offer threading, waxing and nail treatments. I don't drive and will be relying on my own two feet and good old public transport. A lot of therapists have told me it won't be possible. Is anyone else in the same position as me? Can I do this without a car?

I started mobile hairdressing with no car. It was hard and limited me quite a bit as buses and taxis too far afield were expensive and narrowed profit margins somewhat. I wouldnt say its impossible but its limiting, you cant fit in as many clients as travel may be longer and of course the carrying slows you down.

I am a beauty therapist now too and i struggle to put my couch in and out of the boot so you must have some strength!

Its not the most simple way of doing things, on foot/public transport is challenging and hard graft but not impossible. Just means covering a smaller area and doing less clients in a day. Hope this helps in some way. Best of luck x

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

I do nails and tanning. I also don't drive and rely on public transport of walking. I've limited myself to only doing clients within certain areas nearby. (Thankfully I'm only 10mins away from town centre) I've only got a holdall for my nail kit which is fairly easy to carry about and my tanning kit is in a plastic box slightly trickier but works well. I get buses a lot but occasionally I'll get taxis if needing both kits. I manage and I have a good client base. It can be done.

Latest posts

Back