Preferred Qualifications UK???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B4Skateuk

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently wanting to have a change of career and am eager to gain qualifications in the beauty industry but after researching courses there are so many!!!. Is there any particular qualification that holds more weight in the industry than others-i was thinking of the NVQ system. Also is there any particular branded nail technician course that you would look for or could I do a course at College???
Thank you so much for your time!
Beth
x x x

Hi everyone,

I am currently wanting to have a change of career and am eager to gain qualifications in the beauty industry but after researching courses there are so many!!!. Is there any particular qualification that holds more weight in the industry than others-i was thinking of the NVQ system. Also is there any particular branded nail technician course that you would look for or could I do a course at College???
Thank you so much for your time!
Beth
x x x

hiya sweetie, have you contacted your local college? I did the BTec Nat Dip in Beauty Therapy Sciences, its a 2 year full time course equiv. to NVQ level 3. My course included nail technology which was a great start, then you can choose to do a conversion course with another nail company, I now use Brisa from Creative Nail Design.

Or if you just wanted to do nails you could check out all the diff companies to see what training and support they offer.

best of luck xxx

I'm currently doing my NVQ Level 2 in Beauty Therapy and plan to do the Level 3 next year. Most of the jobs I've seen advertised require NVQ Level 3 or equivalent. I was talking about career options the other day with my course co-ordinator (who is an absolute gem, she wrote the NVQ text books) and she said NVQ Level 3 is pretty much a necessity if you plan on working in salons, spas etc.
If you want to set up a mobile business or work from home she suggested the Level 2 would be enough and you can then add Diplomas in other treatments such as Indian Head Massage as and when you've got the time and money.
It seems the Level 2 gives you the foundations - we do facials, manicure, pedicure, waxing, eyelash and eyebrow treatments, salon manager duties. Level 3 then teaches you the more advanced electrical techniques (faradic, galvanic etc).

Starting my NVQ has been one of the best things I've ever done, I love every day at college and I can't wait to start working! So that's my experience of the NVQ system, hope that helps...

i decided i wanted to change my career last year, i wanted to do NVQ at college but as i work full-time i've done part-time VTCT courses at college.
i started last september and did level 2 nail treatments (manicure and pedicure) it took 17 weeks, i'm also doing a vtct level 2 nail technology course which is 30 weeks and covers gel,L&P and fibreglass.
i found these are great courses as a foundation to my new found career and i'm definatly doing creative nail design conversion courses because they're products are lovely.
hth check your local colleges and see what they offer x

hi,

thankyou so much for your advice girls-it's much appreciated!! i got in touch with my local college and they were also really helpful. They run the Btec national diploma and also the NVQ system-the btec is very appealing as it has more topic areas i'm interested in but it is a full time course which could be hard with working etc whereas the nvqs can be done on a part time basis so??? so as soon as i make up my mind which one to go for i'll enrol and become a happy beauty student-cant wait!!
thanks again
x x x

good luck hun x

Hi all,
I am coming to the end of my manicure (city & guilds) college course - practical exam on 15/05/08 and theory on 21/05/08. If I pass I want to do another college course with a qualification that is wellknown within the industry. Can anyone help as I feel a college course is more beneficial other than a course which is 1 or 2 days - how does anyone else feel about this ?

Latest posts

Back