Pregnancy Massage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fifi La Fume

Reaction score
Hi - i just finsihed a 4 day pregnancy massage course and it was lovely - a lot more detailed than I expected with a lot of theory work, I can understand why.

The client lays on her side for the massage then changes to her other side and I found it was a lot easier than I expected. We were trained to do it on the floor but it can also be done on the table. We ere also shown how to massage their lower back while they lean over an exercise ball on the floor to get deep into the sacrum coccyx area.....

We draped them with a single bed sheet and didn't use towels so they were covered at all times

Do you massage pregnant ladies?

Thats sounds as if it was really interesting. The course sounds good, but so far I haven't had any pregnant ladies come to me to justify doing one like it! Do you have to leave out certain areas e.g around the ankle bone as in reflexology isn't this near the womb pressure point? (just interested in what you learned).
Hope you now get a flock of pregnant women coming to you.:)

Sounds great...where did you learn? Id love to offer this, I bet it will be really popular!

I would love to get one of these these right now! Are there many places offer them?

I did it with well mother Well Mother Courses for Massage Therapists

We miss out certain points on the ankles etc, I'm trained in reflexology so I was aware of these points anyway and we ask the mother before hand if she would like her abdomen massaged. It is a lovely lovely treatment, in the place were I work there are pre natal yoga classes so I hope the massage will be popular

On the website there's a list of qualified therapists

This is fantastic, we always get told what not do do for pregnant women, but not what they CAN enjoy!

This is fantastic, we always get told what not do do for pregnant women, but not what they CAN enjoy!

Get doing that course Andrea - I'll be your first booking!

I've been taught that you can't massage a pregnant lady before 4 mths & even then you can't massage their abdomen. I commented at the time that it might be nice for the client but was told no for insurance reasons. We were taught to have them sat down like in indian head massage & have them lie on v-shaped pillows to do the neck, back etc....

Ive massaged many pregnant women it's such a shame you have to do extra courses for insurance because after many years and many different massage courses and having been pregnant twice myself i do think i know what i'm doing.I massage ladies on their sides once they can't lay on their tums or the other way on a chair.I also massage their tummy its so soothing when you are stretched and itchy but these are people i know and unfortunately as i haven't got that bit of paper i wouldn't be able to do it on the general public.If you have been well trained in massage there isnt much you can do to them you have to remember ligaments are softer,I dont use certain essential oils at certain times and dont have them flat on their backs its all about common sense.Its lovely to do tummys and feel the baby wriggle.

I must admit ive never massage p ladies as told not to but this course looks good

From the point of view of a pregnant women, you have no idea how hard it is to find someone who is qualified in this AND you are comfortable to let massage you. I was spurred on by this thread originally to book somewhere, but failed miserably to start with

Then my wonderful husband mananged to book me a massage last week as a surprise, yet I had to travel 20 miles to get it - he couldn't find anywhere nearer. Plenty of places that said, 'oh yes, thats fine we do pregnant ladies all the time', but on further investigation, they weren't actually qualified, nor presuambly therefore insured, to do this.

A few months back a friend went to one place, and found they were using essential oils that should never be used used in pregnancy and had no idea that certain pressure points can trigger problems, yet were stil advertising and charging more for pregnancy massge. And the place I ended up at, that were qualified, they still refused to touch my bump....the most 'stretched and tensed' part of me!

So come on girls, we're always talking about providing new treatments and whether there is a market for this....I think there is! Get training!

Latest posts

Back